Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
south dakota domicile

We are considering making South Dakota our domicile and have read a lot of great postings on this subject, the one thing I have not read is about getting a drivers license there, from what I have read is I think I must get a class b license with air brake endorsement since our motor home is over 26000 lbs and has air brakes. If this is correct is there a driving test or is just the written test? Or no test at all? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't remember all the details because I merely scanned the info at Americas Mailbox SD. But essentially no endorsements - maybe a written - but you must spend 1 night in county that Americas Mailbox is in. Their receipt is proof of spending night and will be the address your license has on it. They don't have but a handful of spaces. Just go to their site or one of the others in SD and look it up - give them a call. Seemed pretty straightforward to me.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
You do not need a special license in SD.

I had a basic license.

No written test or driving is necessary, just an eye test. I was in and out in about 30 minutes.

You do not need to spend a night unless you want to register to vote, then you use the address where you stayed for voter registration only.

Your drivers license and vehicle registration will have your mail forwarding address on it as that's your legal address.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
One word of caution, cut all your ties to Colorado.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie
One word of caution, cut all your ties to Colorado.

fred
Because??
Old 03-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
States are trying to stop tax dollars from leaving the state. Colorado has tracked down "Montana" units and collected back fees. Check the states regulations very carefully.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
So Colorado doesn't think you are still a resident and want to tax you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Because??

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #8

I think that what you are talking of doing is not good you are talking about shunning your obligations as citizens and taxpayers
Old 03-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I joined the Exodus from California last year to South Dakota.

1.It became law for RVer's January 1, 2010 that when it is time to renew your SD drivers license or when you get your first SD drivers license you must stay one night in a campground or motel and show a receipt to the drivers license office. You can do this in any city in the state that issues license.
That receipt will be used for completing a DMV Affidavit for RVers.
2. DRIVER'S LICENSE cost is $20.00 for five years,. You Must appear in person, Must pass a basic Vision test and Must surrender a valid Drivers License.

Effective December 31, 2009, to apply for a new license, renewal or duplicate driver license or identification card You WILL need to provide the documents listed below:

ONE of the following items to prove identity, date of birth, and lawful status:

• Certified U.S. birth certificate • Valid unexpired permanent resident card.
• Valid unexpired U.S. passport • Valid unexpired employment authorization document.
• Certificate of Naturalization • Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94.
• Certificate of Citizenship
If your name is different than the name on your identity document, you will need to bring additional proof of your legal name. Acceptable documents for proof of legal name change are a certified marriage certificate (issued by a state vital records agency), a certified adoption document, or a certified court order authorizing a name change (such as a divorce decree).

ONE document to prove Social Security number. The documents below serve as proof of Social Security number:

• Social Security card • Non-SSA 1099 Form or
• W-2 Form or
• Pay stub (must include name and social security or
• SSA 1099 Form number).

WHEN registering vehicles, don't forget registration form and title. If vehicle is new, have documentation to show state sales tax was or was not already paid.
For Disabled, military, historical and vanity license plates visit: License plates

If you need a RV Mail forwarding service, you can use a service called Alternative Resources Alternative Resources | RV Mail Forwarding | Sioux Falls | South Dakota located in Sioux Falls SD. If you use them, I'd appreciate the referral credit #3465. They can also register your vehicles for you in absentia. If you need vehicle insurance, a Vehicle Insurance Co is located in adjoining building who will get you free quotes from various insurance companies.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Edit: DoggyDaddy you beat me to the button. Lol - my post was general to explain this isn't a tax dodge. Just the hoops we have to jump through to full time.

I thought we were talking about choosing between the handful of states that allow you to have as your residence a mail forwarding service while full time living and roaming the country in an RV. I believe the states are Texas though Escapees, Florida, South Dakota and I'm now hearing Tennessee.

I for one would register to vote in SD and would vote absentee. You don't avoid anything. You register your vehicles in the state and pay taxes everywhere you go. But without a option such as SD etc, without an address you can't do anything - register the vehicle - vote - tell Social Security - IRS where to mail you, etc.

It really shouldn't be this difficult to sell you home and travel around for a couple of years or a decade or two. But it is.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by f-150 View Post
I think that what you are talking of doing is not good you are talking about shunning your obligations as citizens and taxpayers
In my view "Tax Evasion" is bad but "Tax Avoidance" is just being smart and is good.

Besides, I think I can make my money do more good than governments can so I will never give more tax than I LEGALLY must. I will fire my tax consultant if I find out he did not find every loophole or regulation he can apply to my advantage yet keep me clean with the taxman.

Is there anyone that would not like to "avoid" taxes?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Own a home in CO, other cars, plan on parking unit in CO? Better plan on having CO plates, hear they drive around an if they see a HM parked at a home could be big time fine and back payments of fees. Also if tow car has different plates, CHP in CA will pull you over.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole007 View Post
We are considering making South Dakota our domicile and have read a lot of great postings on this subject, the one thing I have not read is about getting a drivers license there, from what I have read is I think I must get a class b license with air brake endorsement since our motor home is over 26000 lbs and has air brakes. If this is correct is there a driving test or is just the written test? Or no test at all? Thanks
If you're planning on being full time on the road, and if you have no property in Colorado (which could be decided as making you a resident), then in my opinion, it is a really good idea.

Two items to be aware of in addition to what others have said so far -

If you do not yet have your RV, and if it will be financed at all, get that done before you change to full time.

And be aware that when you choose to leave the road, it may be nearly impossible to get financing for a new home. You may have to rent for as long as three years, just to qualify for financing, even if your credit is fantastic.

Just a couple of things to know.

GL Arnold
Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66
So Colorado doesn't think you are still a resident and want to tax you.
Lots of traffic on this one - and I guess the OP didn't specify going full time as the reason for considering SD as a domicile, so I guess they might have had a MH registration or some other dodge in mind. I didn't take it that way.

You can be a legal resident of one state and own property in another without any tax problems. You pay your property taxes on the rental (if your rent your home) to the state it's in. You pay other things to the state of residence.

If you let your home sit vacant 6 months while your gone and have residency in another state, I guess that might create an issue or two. I'm not sure it's worth changing residency if that's the intent. Never looked at it from that perspective.

If I'm not mistaken - one of the differences between Texas residency and SD is the state inspection sticker. I don't think (could be wrong) SD has one. Texas does and as soon as you cross into Texas you need to replace an expired inspection. I think it's $14 for a diesel MH in Texas. I wouldn't change residency to avoid that. There are some other differences and what suits one may not suit another.

Guess we'll see what the OP was intending. Maybe not. But if your not going full time I don't think changing residency is a good plan. Everyones mileage varies.
Steve