Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Spare door key for the RV

Never thought this would happen with the design of our current RV, but we managed to lock ourselves out just as the sun went down a couple of days ago. Cell phones & wallets included. Long cold story short, road assistance eventually realized it would take a locksmith to get in. Over two hours & definitely not dressed for it. I made sure it won't happen again. Have you?
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have spare keys hidden in one of those magnetic key holders inside engine room. Hopefully will never need it.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosensai View Post
Never thought this would happen with the design of our current RV, but we managed to lock ourselves out just as the sun went down a couple of days ago. Cell phones & wallets included. Long cold story short, road assistance eventually realized it would take a locksmith to get in. Over two hours & definitely not dressed for it. I made sure it won't happen again. Have you?
Been there, done that, got the T Shirt.

I have a complete set of keys on a ring stowed away in the engine compartment so we don't have to worry about buying another T Shirt.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Keep a spare set in toad,set of toad keys in motor home.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
My buddy locked himself out while we were in Alaska! We were in a cold rain, and it took the locksmith about a hour to unlock the 450 Ford. I have a set under the hood like everyone else.
mwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Truck and 5vr.

GF and I stepped out to talk with some folks at CG.
Our dog decided she would try to open door.......but she managed to move dead bolt lever and locked us out.

Dining room window was cracked open......GFs purse was sitting in chair next to window.
Took me 20 minutes to wiggle window back/forth until it opened enough for me to push screen out and reach down/grab purse.

I then put a set of RV keys in truck and a basic truck key (only will open door) behind licenses plate----held in place by license plate screw.
A thin dime out of coin purse or blade from my pocket knife will easily remove screw.

Tried one of those magnetic key holders years ago but they disappeared when out adventuring on unpaved roads.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Propane bay is another good place to keep spare keys - no lock on a propane bay door.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
All who "squirrel" away spare keys are very wise. We have keys "squirreled" away in magnetic key holders AND black taped in place...VERY cheap insurance. We also keep two complete sets of extra keys in the DP in a hidden area...and the Jack Russell is NOT talking...we maybe for a hotdog.
I learned from others mistakes....pass info on and receive good karma.
Travel safe....RV'rs seem to take care of their own...
tomwalt is dead on...my only suggestion is if you use the propane area put the keys in a magnetic box and tape them down so the average person would NEVER see them...JMHO
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great info....we have a 2000 40' Allegro Bus DP....yours looks very close to ours...nice...
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep one of these in my propane compartment, I spray painted it black to match compartment. I too have the t-shirt and don't need another one.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Been there done that...accidental lock-out due to TriMark sales lot (second) lock.
The latch lock (not the deadbolt) is reportedly keyed to 1 of 2 master keys to help sales lots control entry...can be locked when the door is slammed shut

So, we have one of these in the hitch receiver or move it to the toads receiver when towing the car:
Hitch Safe, Key Storage Hitches, Hide Car Key, Auto Key Safe, Trailer Hitch Covers, Receivers

Have lost those magnetic key holders on the road, and went hardcore on this fix...watertight and can hold keys, ID and credit cards too, for if you take a hike away from the RV and want your pockets empty.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #12
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
Been RVing for 19 years and never had a spare and never got locked out. Oh, darn....now that I said it.....I'll let you know how it goes and how I'll get back in.....
NRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
I keep one of these in my propane compartment, I spray painted it black to match compartment. I too have the t-shirt and don't need another one.
I use a similar model that screws to the door/wall of my propane bay instead of the padlock type.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:20 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep an extra door key in the outside refrigerator access compartment, complete extra set of keys inside motorhome. Haven't used it yet.

Tags
door