Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #15

I never carried a spare until this year. This past April coming home from a trip to Key West, we had a blowout on the right front tire. I was able to get to the shoulder but in the process the tire came off the aluminum wheel. Called Coach-net about my issue and after they spent over 2 hours trying to find a tire dealer that had my 295\80-22.5 tire we had someone show up. By the way I wasn't comfortable with using the wheel that was on the coach as it was on the pavement for several hundred feet without a tire. So had to buy one of those too. All said and done cost me a little over 3 hours and over $1200 for new wheel and tire. I now carry a spare mounted tire in one of my basement compartments.

danny124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny124 View Post
I never carried a spare until this year. This past April coming home from a trip to Key West, we had a blowout on the right front tire. I was able to get to the shoulder but in the process the tire came off the aluminum wheel. Called Coach-net about my issue and after they spent over 2 hours trying to find a tire dealer that had my 295\80-22.5 tire we had someone show up. By the way I wasn't comfortable with using the wheel that was on the coach as it was on the pavement for several hundred feet without a tire. So had to buy one of those too. All said and done cost me a little over 3 hours and over $1200 for new wheel and tire. I now carry a spare mounted tire in one of my basement compartments.
That's every RVer's nightmare, a blowout on a steering tire! How fast were you going, and what type of road were you on? (multi-lane, single lane, etc).

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Here is a link to the Road Master Spare tire carrier. Looks pretty robust and it pivots to allow easy off/on of the spare tire. It recommends 10" or less of the distance from the hitch to the back of RV.

My only concern would be clearance of the hitch due to the distance from the back of the RV.

My first spare tire carrier was made using a dual hitch system, however, due to the clearance of the dual hitch to the back of the RV I had to use an extension. Because of this the dual hitch and the tow bar would drag on steep entrances to fuel stops etc. The weld on the dual hitch actually broke, luckily it happen while stopped causing no damage.

That is why I migrated to the hitch that I had posted in a previous reply. I made that is elevated above the RV OEM hitch. The cost of this hitch using off the shelf parts was ~$250, although I already had the portion that carries the tire. I still have to an extension for the tow bar but it is still shorter then before. Since the picture was taken I have added a set of rollers to this so that if it does hit there is not as much stress on the hitch.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM   #18

My Winnebago Voyage (class A - gas engine) came with a spare tire ( steel 19.5”) from the factory. It is carried underneath the MH in the rear between the frame rails. I purchased a new tire this spring and did a practice tire change.

I can manage the wheel away from the MH, but trying to get the wheel up on the wheel studs is a pain. My solution was a dirt shovel. First line up the line up the wheel holes with the studs. Tilt the wheel against the studs. Force the shovel under the tire. Apply downward pressure on the shovel handle and lever the wheel into place. Simple. It was harder to get the spare tire off of the carrier.

One further point. I used a bottle jack under the axle to lift the old tire just off the ground. The leveling jacks stabilize the MH and carry most of the weight. The bottle jack lifts the axle and acts as a second safety device.

I also have Coach Net to complete my belt and suspender approach to a potential problem.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
Wanting to carry spare on newmar 3933. Also use Atwood level legs to lift wheel to b. changed. Any thoughts or concerns?
farmertom
I carry an unmounted spare tire, my CoachNet membership card and a cell phone.
BTW, despite the opinions of the
"doom-and-gloomers" I have often raised one or more of my wheels/tires off the ground with my RVA leveling jacks.
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles
Old 07-25-2015, 05:20 AM   #20

We were on the multi lane Florida Turnpike slightly north of Miami, speed 65mph.
danny124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 AM   #21

Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier

Wow, the Roadmaster spare tire carrier looks like a knock-off of the Simpson spare tire carrier, except not as well engineered. I hope they paid Simpson for stealing the design! (I may be jumping the gun on this, to be fair, maybe they paid him royalties for his patented design . . . )

If I am looking at the pics correctly, one thing that I DO NOT like is that it appears due to the design, the rear receiver portion, that you would hook the male portion of the tow bar in for the toad, is actually positioned OFF CENTER to the right the width of the square tube! That means that your (up to 10,000lb) tow vehicle is not a direct pull on your motor home . . . . not a real bright design in my opinion! That would require a small drivers correction on the tow vehicle, as well as a slight automatic correction on the towed vehicle. Two corrections, more drag, less fuel economy (If you will excuse me for using the word economy while relating to RV's!), and tires VERY slightly tracking down the road sideways resulting in more wear, possibly not very measurable, but why start off with a bad design to begin with!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #22

I gave a 31" gasser. It came with a spare. I do carry one as a last resort. When I had money I bought 7 new tires, now I buy 6 when they age out and use one old one. I have never used the spare. I could get it down off of the back end mount but it would take 2 to get the blown one on. I use Coach.net for my first resort. The first time a tore blew I was carrying a unused spare that was bought with the other tires. Coach.net came and swapped it out. It simplified matters. Later in the same ride another rear tire blew and I called Coach.net and they connected me to someone who was able to sell me 6 new tires and send someone out to change the blown one. I followed them back to the shop and they changed the rest. The price was great.

This was an odd situation. We had bought a full set of the GS658RV's. The ride was good and they had some advantages like UV and ozone protection that we liked. These were on their 5th year since manufacture and would have been replaced before year 6. No cracks or strange wear. Never driven under-inflated. I thought blown tires were always due to age or low pressure. I was wrong.
The spare made the first service call easier. A spare could save a lot of trouble in some situations. I'll keep mine but Coach.net is the first line of defense.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:57 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
I too had a catostrophic blowout this summer, but on the tag axel, so not nearly so dramatic. Coachnet found new tire for $1250! (plus mounting) from an abvious pirate. They also found a good used tire for $300, installed. We selected the used tire and when we had time we went back to the store that provided the service and bought a new tire. They actually purchased the used tire back for the price they charged me.

Plenty awful experience that could have been much worse.

I really like to be prepared, but to carry the all the combinations of tires and wheels necessary would really limit the other spare items I could carry. Also, no way would I have manhandled tire and wheel. The used tire was mounted while the wheel was on the coach while resting just off the shoulder. Had it been on the drivers side, I would have needed a tow to the shop since only a few motorists would move over or slow down when going by even though there was highway patrolman sitting behind us with the cruiser's light on.

I can't say enough good things about Coachnet and the tire store in Grand Junction CO.

Tags
class a