Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-10-2015, 08:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It seems to me there can be no question that having a spare when needed is going to be a savings in time and perhaps money as well. The question is the value of the space required to carry it, the cost of the tire & wheel itself, and the frequency of use. One could argue, for example, that you are more likely to need a spare battery or spare engine water pump than a spare tire. Or that the money spent on a spare tire is usually watsed, i.e. the tire dies of old age while waiting to be used. Even if you rotate it with the other tires, few RVers will ever get their money's worth from the tread life.

So it's an insurance question, risk vs reward. There is no single right answer to that.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
Carrying a spare for a travel trailer or 5th wheel is much easier than a Class A MH with 22.5 tires, due to both size and weight, and a place to put it. Also I'm not so sure its worth the expense to have a $600 tire(not including the rim) just sitting in case you may need it. Like everything hindsight is 20-20 and if you ever needed it then it would be worth it. I just don't have a place to store it, that is worth giving up the other things we carry.

Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:53 AM   #17
Nope. Too big. Good Sam's, AAA roadside and CC.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #18

We are fortunate enough to have room in the trailer for an un-mounted tire .. tho hopefully never need. PO had it stashed in one of the slide outs ... and noted the one time there was an issue they had to wait for 3 days while the service folks found a tire .... that in it self is worth it for us ....
Hal & Jackie .... 03 TS Select 45DS01
02 Haulmark 20' Edge .... 02 Corvette Rdstr

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #19
I'm comfortable changing any of the tires on our Greyhawk so we have a mounted spare and all the tools needed to do the job but if and when I'm not comfortable doing that anymore I'll still either carry a mounted spare or at the very least an unmounted spare to speed up the process (and keep the cost down) for the tire guys.
2011 Greyhawk 31 DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #20
Senior Member / RVM 89

Location: Somewhere on the Rainbow. Fulltiming and lovin' it!
Does anyone carry an inflated spare in their toad? That's what I'm thinking we might do. But would like to hear from some folks who actually do that.

Mel & Kate
2004 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 QDP, "Joy", our Rainbow Rider
[IBe yourself. Everyone else is already taken.[/I]
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #21
We don't carry a spare.

Funny thing, in over a million miles of CMV driving I never carried a spare and never needed road service for a tire issue. In our first month of MH ownership we needed road service to repair a flat. Fortunately, it was a tag axle tire and we were in an RV park and the tire was repairable. The tire picked up a 3+ inch screw in the center of the tread. Must have happened on the way to the park as we were parked for two days before the tire went flat.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
Spare Tire?

Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Any one ever consider carrying an unmounted spare on the roof?
We carried an unmounted, used tire for a couple of trips into Mexico, a few years ago. Had the dealer use forklift to put it on the roof of the coach. He told me he wouldn't be around when it was time to get it back off the roof. No problem, just rolled it over the side and then chased it half a block. Having the spare insured we never needed it.

Jim, in CO (where we got 6" of snow last nite and it's all gone today).
Today, '87 Country Coach
Tomorrow if all goes well, 2015 Newmar Bay Star
jrbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #23
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Does anyone carry an inflated spare in their toad? That's what I'm thinking we might do. But would like to hear from some folks who actually do that.

I carry the spare for moho in the back of my pickup as it has a lockable camper shell on it.
Jerry and Barbara,
2005 Nat Sea Breeze 1321
2010 Honda CR-V toad
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We don't and haven't since 1998. In all that time I've never had a situation where I needed one either.
I should add: The Magna front axle and tag tires are 365/70's and the drive axle has 315/80's so no way can I carry two tires of that size. I do have the tools to remove them though.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #25
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Any one ever consider carrying an unmounted spare on the roof?
There are several problems with doing that. First would be the wear on the roof, and securing it . Second would be exposing the tire to sunlight, which degrades tires not operating. Third would be the task of moving the tire up there, and checking air pressure as often as you check the operating tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:23 AM   #26
I had no intention of carrying a spare. I figured I'd pay the piper if and when the time came on the side of the road. Then someone with a coach similar to mine pointed out the tires on my coach were not all that common. I decided to buy an spare and keep it unmounted in the basement.

My guess is you don't really need one.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote