Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #1
Spare tire or no spare tire

I drive a 36 ft class A motorhome. The question is...should I carry a spare tire or not. How many do????

Want to know what we're up to? Check out our website at My Trip Journal http://mytripjournal.com/11246
R1Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We don't and haven't since 1998. In all that time I've never had a situation where I needed one either.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
As full-timers we drove our motorhome constantly without a spare and never had an issue. Before our summer trip to Alaska we did replace all of our tires which were 5 yr. old at the time. We requested that the tires be dated within 4 months.

If you check your tires all the time and run on the correct pressure and replace BEFORE they wear out, I really don't think a spare is needed. We wouldn't have had a place to store it and we couldn't have handled putting it on. We do have roadside service.
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
We owned a Class C prior to our Class A. The Class C had a spare and we had several occasions when we had to use it.

We bought our current coach in late 2008 and in June of May we decided to take a trip to Alaska. In preparation for our trip I had 2 new steer tires put on so I decided to buy a rim and take a mounted spare to Alaska. Never needed it but it was nice to have a relatively cheap insurance.

I have since worked out a way to carry it by converting a heavy duty X-Pen carrier, so if you see Monaco Windsor with a tire on the back it's probably me.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
Very few motorhomes carry a spare, mainly because of the space required, it's weight, and of course because it's most often unused when time for replacement.
The choice to carry or not boils down to; do you want to buy one now and haul it for years, perhaps totally unneeded, or do you want to buy one when required-which usually costs more, and have the space for carrying more supplies and "stuff".
I choose the latter method.
The Rubber Manufacturers Association states over 90% of all tire failures are the direct result of under-inflation. There is a lesson there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several existing threads on this topic. Folks in both camps. I carry a spare. Previous coach unmounted, current coach mounted. This way I am not delayed by unavailability to obtain a replacement, pay an exorbitant price, get a tire unmatched or not of my choosing, or any combination of these issues. I have had three occasions in 10+ years to use my spare.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #7
I'm with Vince, I bought the spare tire carrier, new Workhorse wheel and ordered tire through FMCA Michelin Advantage Program. Will I need it? I hope not, but if I do it's a call to Good Sam Roadside and I'm on my way.
Tom and Gloria
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35A, TOAD: 2015 GMC Canyon, Blue Ox Towbar, Baseplate and SMI Stay N Play
TomandGloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was annoying to me when I bought my Minnie Winnie in February and it didn't come with a spare. That said, I have GS Roadside Assistance so I won't waste time fretting over it.
2015 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 22R

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
I carry one under the stern. The tire on it is the best of what came off the coach when last re-tired and as it is well out of the sun it should do in a pinch. I have the gear and the ability to change if needed but I do have BCAA which covers me over all of North America.
'98 Southwind 34L, too many cameras, old hat, young heart.
May the light be with you.
Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
Just call me impatient. lol Just can't see setting along the road for two or three hours waiting for someone to come and change a tire for me, Not to mention, getting a match can be anther matter altogether. Guess when I'm too old to change one, I may be to old to tow lol Just me. lol
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 PM   #11
National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any one ever consider carrying an unmounted spare on the roof?
Jack & Beverly
1999 National Tradewinds 7371; Cat 3126; 6 Speed Allison; 7.5 KW Onan; Freedom 20
2012 Nissan Versa on a EZE Tow
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had one in our 1996 coach and actually needed it once, in 1999. Haven't carried a spare since 2002 and haven't needed one either. A flat tire is a pretty low-risk proposition, so we elect to use the space for our gear and figure we will just pay the extra price of getting a tire via road service if needed.

Some regions have a greater risk of tire damage from road hazards than others, so that might be a factor in a decision to carry a spare.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 AM   #13
I carry a mounted spare like stated above do not want to get overcharged on the side of the road for a tire that does not fit my requirements. AAA will change a tire for free but will not mount it on the rim
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
I never leave home without one. Roadside service is all fine and dandy until they don't have a tire your size. Been there done that.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote