Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-10-2016, 08:53 AM   #1

Good Morning
We just purchased our first Fifth wheel. Bought it late in the Fall. Only used it once. So, I'm excited to get it out of storage and go camping. OK...question. The speakers that Keystone put on the fifth wheel are pretty cheap. I want to change the out. Anybody have any suggestions on what speakers fit on the outside and the inside? We have a Cougar 277RLS

Vltrue83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
We had a KZ spree and the speakers were the only thing we didn't like on the whole unit. We couldn't believe they would do everything else so well and put in such cheap speakers.

I dropped the originals out and measured how much clearance I had, then went shopping. I was surprised there is not the selection of speakers out there like when I was younger but eventually I found some online that fit the interior speaker opening and sounded so much better. I was more limited on clearance on the outside speakers and never found a replacement for those.

Tom & Jodie
2014 Fleetwood Excursion 35B
Tom_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
Do like Tom says and measure and then measure again. Then go shopping at www.crutchfield.com
2002 Country Coach Intrigue
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:43 PM   #4
Inside and outside will have different needs as far as what the speakers are being asked to service.

Inside, following the advise above and knowing what will fit, look into the Focal brand. If on a budget, watch for Craigslist deals on these.

Outside you are into a smaller subs of speakers. What I have seen down successfully accomplished, is the leaving of the OEM speakers, but just disconnect the wires and stub them outside of the OEM speakers for easy access. Then look for a speaker that will easily fit into storage, add mounts below or to the sides of your OEM speakers, and then when in camp, pull your speakers out of storage and mount them on the wall mounts, of course with the wire's clamped into location. You're looking for weather resistant, with I recommend a wide dispersement speaker. I've had good luck with the Boston Voyagers, as well as Infinity Outriggers. If you watch Craigslists, you can sometimes find the outdoor B&W's at a decent price too.

Of course, I like tunes. I like good sounds. I do not use them in campgrounds. I use them when boon docking and not bothering anyone near me.

In campgrounds, I use the JBL Extreme via Blu Tooth. I have two of the them, set up in stereo mode. Good overall sound quality, without needing to 'crank' the volume. I can sit outside at campgrounds, without impacting anyone around me, and still have relatively good sounds at lower volumes by using these. (They are battery powered, and batteries will usually go two to three days between needing a recharge, or more.)

Best of luck to you, and regardless of what way you go - enjoy the tunes!
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote