Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing you do can prevent an accident when the nut behind the wheel lets loose.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For a number of years Winnebago actually did inverted drop tests of its motorhomes to make sure that things didn't come loose, etc. I'm guessing it may have been replaced with computerized modelling these days.

THE INSIDE STORY - Winnebago Industries

Winnebago "Drop Test" thread from a number of years ago.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with most and was thinking the insurance company's would be more upset if these MHs were that danger is. We are almost all older and for the most are good drivers.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just wondering, are any motorhomes built with wood framing anymore. Any ads you see now that mention framing say it is metal (alum or steel). Are these just older rigs they are talking about.

Glenn
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #19

I'm just rambling here but the article says: "On the way home one day in 2005, Richard took the corner of a highway on ramp a little fast and tipped the RV over. It crumpled--trapping him inside."

He took an on ramp (I'd speculate an off ramp not on ramp) a little to fast. It would be interesting to hear the definition of a "little to fast". I could not afford a motor home that was designed to take on ramps a little to fast. It'd be interesting to review the accident report.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I'm just rambling here but the article says: "On the way home one day in 2005, Richard took the corner of a highway on ramp a little fast and tipped the RV over. It crumpled--trapping him inside."

He took an on ramp (I'd speculate an off ramp not on ramp) a little to fast. It would be interesting to hear the definition of a "little to fast". I could not afford a motor home that was designed to take on ramps a little to fast. It'd be interesting to review the accident report.
Bob
That's the part I was referencing when I said 'don't drive like an idiot'. There is no way a 'little too fast' will tip over a motorhome. He had to be going WAYY TOO FAST to tip over his coach. A 'little too fast' might cause his kitchen drawers to open, or the coffee maker to slide off the counter.

Those little signs most drivers of 4 wheelers ignore that have speed limits for curves are there for a reason. I generally approach curves at LEAST 5mph below the suggested speed for the curve in my coach if conditions warrent.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I find it humorous that class A's are equipped with shoulder type seat belts.
IMO this is only to make the driver/passenger feel safer. Fiberglass shatters with any type of hard impact. I doubt the seat belt is going to help in any high speed accident.

I was fully aware of the risks before I bought our MH. Definitely not going to worry about it, but as always I will continue to drive slow and cautious.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

Bob
I think you guys all missed the key word, "corner", here. I'm not sure where this took place but in the northeast taking a corner to enter an on ramp is not uncommon.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Seat belts may not help alot in a crash when the coach falls apart, but they keep you from going out the front window head first. I know i wouldn't want to land on my face on the pavement at even 10 mph.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Seat belts may not help alot in a crash when the coach falls apart, but they keep you from going out the front window head first. I know i wouldn't want to land on my face on the pavement at even 10 mph.
Especially with 26,000lbs of motorhome rolling towards you.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #25

There's a reason highway exit ramps have a posted speed. Use it.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #26

Throwing in my 16 cents here....There are TONS of ways to get hurt or even die in this world. Getting into a crash in your motorhome is JUST one of them..a grain a sand in the line of bad things that COULD happen.

Relax...enjoy. We only live once folks. So lets make sure we LIVE, not stay home in a plastic bubble
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is what dangerous, someone renting a class A to take his family on vacation like in the movie RV. This was a funny movie, but we all know this is a disaster waiting to happen. Anyone with common sense wanting to get into the RV lifestyle will learn something about these motorhomes, and know the construction. I would say the majority of people take the corners too slow.

This story is just an example of some wannabe trying to make a name for themselves. That story warned me of nothing, it only disgusted me. I am sure we are all smart enough to ow that if you turn over a big box with 80% of it's weight on the bottom something bad is going to happen. We also all sit up a lot higher and have a better view than other vehicles, so we will see those morons texting while they are driving,LOL.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #28
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
My coach didn't come with any sort of safety rating, and I didn't think it did when I bought it. No question if you flip it on its roof, it won't support the weight of the chassis and you're gonna have a bad day. I can't imagine what it would take to build a frame that would, and I can't afford the cost of that frame.

So, here's your anxiety calmer: don't drive like an idiot like that poor sap in the article did, because if you do, your coach won't protect you when you crash it.

You have to focus on those things YOU control, and not stress out about those things you can't. If you can't do that, might as well stay home and wrap yourself with bubble wrap and lock yourself in the bathroom.

Stay focused, drive safe, have fun.
I'm with you on that one!