Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Specialty tools homemade or otherwise or device to make tasks easier

The other day while I was trying to add brake fluid to the master cylinder, it got me thinking so I went to the auto part store and bought a small old can with pumper lever then added a hose to, now adding break fluid is much easier, with much less waste.

That got me wondering, and being am a novice with motor-homes, I was hoping to pick all of your brains on what have you developed to allow you to performing of these type tasks more easily?

It is not as if motor-home maker made anything easy to get too.

So please take a few minute and list everything that yo have done or found to make these hard task easier, I welcome all input
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #2
doc

Appalachian Campers
Awning rod!! It is an amazing multi tool. you can: raise/lower an awning, drag leveler blocks, drag a cord under the rig, stir a blocked toilet, reach deep into a basement compartment, thump and intrusive snake or obnoxius neighbor, stir a campfire, drag a hot skillet from campfire, .....(gotta be others)
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
39 chevy driveshaft. I slip it over my breaker bar and can loosen any tire lug nut that some tire shop moron has put on with a truck tire air wrench.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Whenever I get to a park where I'm going to stay awhile I usually add a stabilizer to the diesel fuel. I can't add it directly to the tank from the jug because it has to be measured so I pour the correct amount in a plastic juice cup. I can't pour from the cup into the tank because of the little flapper valve at the mouth of the filler tube; so I take a rolled up paper plate and stick one end past the flapper vale and flare the other. It make a nice disposable funnel all for about $.03...err maybe $.05 now.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I tried to pour anti-freeze, and in the summer, bleach into the fresh water tank, but it went all over, so I took a plastic water bottle and layed it on it's side then I carefully took a sharp knife and cut the top 1/4 off, forming a tub with the mouth still intact.
It fit in the opening of the spout like it was made for it, and no more mess on the coach or bleach on my pants and shoes.
Still haven't figured how to pour anti-freeze into the radiator to top it off, when needed, the neck is up under the hood, used a 5oz. paper cup last time.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use a 99 cent bamboo back scratcher with the end roller ball removed as an arm length extender to open and close windows in the cab over bunk. There is a little curved "hand" on one end that is great for snagging something out of reach. Without the roller ball on the opposite end, there is a "U" shaped pusher that works well for locking and unlocking the sliding window latches.

An amazingly strong and versatile tool for a buck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
For adding fluids I have use length of PVC (14 to 16 inches or so) with an elbow. A half inch PVC extends down to the transmission dipstick (fill hole) and I use a larger diameter one for the engine oil. Basically the PVC fits into the opening and I use the elbow at the other to add oil or fluid. You do need to pour it slowly. Also using a bungi cord to hold the tube in place helps.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Awning rod!! It is an amazing multi tool. you can: raise/lower an awning, drag leveler blocks, drag a cord under the rig, stir a blocked toilet, reach deep into a basement compartment, thump and intrusive snake or obnoxius neighbor, stir a campfire, drag a hot skillet from campfire, .....(gotta be others)
I marked on the rod the distance that each slide extends. When I get into a tight site, I use the rod as a measuring stick to make sure I have adequate clearance at each slide location.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

We have crank-up air vents on the ceiling. They are way to high to reach by hand. I used a 4 ft piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and cut the top so there are two "lugs" on it and then put two matching holes in the crank-up knob. We can now adjust the vent without getting on a chair. It is also good for reaching things that have fallen behind the couch.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM   #10

To put brake fluid in my master cylinder I use a turkey baster. It works great for removing the fluid also.
BA-in-Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #11

Forgot one - I took a piece of 6" irrigation PVC, cut it to about 4', put a cap on the bottom, cut a grove to about 1" from the bottom and the top. I put 8 rolls of TP in it and, using double-sided tape, stuck it behind the toliet. We use the grove to work the TP up and out the top when needed. DW decorated the pipe with stick-on fishes.
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do you have those elasticized loops with the little red or black ball on the end?

I make my own. I use a bicycle tube, slit it down a rib, cut 1/2 inch strips from the opened tube, then cut them to the length I desire, tie the ends together in a knot. When you cinch them up they stay in place. Good for hoses, RF cables, and a lot of other things. Inexpensive also.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my coach, the propane tank is immediately adjacent to the wet compartment.

I attached a section of plastic rain gutter to the wall above the propane tank that runs from the compartment door all the way to the back of the compartment. It's supported on the bottom by the propane tank.

The 'stinky slinky' fits nicely in the rain gutter.

The compartment is ventilated, mitigating odor issues.

Take care,
Stu
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Yep to all of the above and I have my rod marked with duct tape that is the same measurements as my slide outs. When I get into a tight situation, ( like those PITA power pedestals in bad spots) I can use the rod to see if I clear the obstacles before I put down the jacks etc.

Dan