Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM   #15

Use bombs when infested. We use them whenever we leave our SC stick house for extended periods. Its easy and keeps everything in check. Good luck!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

One thing you should realize: spiders are predators and they live on other insects. If you have lots of spiders, it's becasue they are living good on the other critters in/around your rig. And if you kill them off, the other critters will run rampant.

The surest way to be rid of spiders is to kill off the other critters with insect baits and sprays and to make sure there is no food waste, etc. to attract more of them. The spiders will go elsewhere if they are hungry.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Watch out for brown recluse spiders. I was bitten by one in a boot that was left in the garage over winter. There's no antidote and they cause tissue death that will need to be cut away.

here's a link to more information - The Official Brown Recluse Spider
Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #18

Just had a recluse jump out at me from the electrical bin handle. The body is about an inch long and the leg spread about three inches. So far no sign of a bit or inflamation so...

I did get him with Hornet and Wasp spray however it tool a lot more to stop him than it would have to drop a wasp in flight. It was still hopping mad and trying to jump on me even after seveal soakings. Don't see a fiddle on his back and he is a bit large so he may be a Hobo. Right now he is dead and bagged in case we need a better ID.

There is a kit with an activated carbon paste that seems to help draw the venom out and help prevent the neucrosis. I may just invest in one to keep on hand.

See:

Brown Recluse First Aid Kit
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 AM   #19

Thankfull all is still clear and no sign of a bite or welt. That thing was all over me and had plenty of opportunity to do so. He was so fast I could not even begin to track him while he was on me.

After a bit of research it seams that fumigating may only give them more food as they prefer to go after the dead bugs rather than the live ones and then they become more resistent to the insectisides. Glue type spider traps are what seems to be reccomended as a control.

One danger I had not considered is that they may spread the Mrsa Skin Infection so even if the spider is not a Brown Recluse or other Necroliptic type of spyder you may be at risk from Mrsa and need to use a Triple B antiseptic on any potential bites to mitigate this risk. Regular Neosporin will not protect you from Mrsa.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

That spider you saw is way to big for a brown recluse. 3/4" would be a large one. Legs and all they are about the size of a quarter.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Roamer [Gary] View Post
That spider you saw is way to big for a brown recluse. 3/4" would be a large one. Legs and all they are about the size of a quarter.
Gary,

Yea that is so however the Chilian Recluse is much larger and had been coming in from South America in shipments of wood products. I had a few years ago bagged inside my home three of those 6 eyed devils which are worse than the native Brown Recluse in that their bite can develop a deeper neucrosis and has a greater chance of turning lethal. Actually I got two and the cat 1 which he deposited on my wifes pillow the next morning.

I had one run all over my body at 2 AM. It was in the hand towel in the bathroom of my stick house and after I got that sleep interupting call for porcelin it jumped me when I finished washing my hands.

This all occured the day I came home with South American plywood for a project in the house.

This new one seems more like a Hobo Recluse spider which also has a neucroliptic venom but thankfully not as potent as that of the Brown. It is most likely a male due to its narrow abdomen however I am not an expert on these things.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Always treat brown spiders as dangerous. Luckily Black Widow spiders are larger and less aggressive. Also they have a web that is very unsymmetrical and messy looking. The web is very strong and if you take a stick and pull it apart, you'll feel resistance and hear it tear.

My run-in with the brown recluse caused me to visit a foot surgeon every 3 days to have the wound lanced and drained and dead tissue cut away. Not a recommended sport!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #23

I agree with Meandering Retiree... We also use the hedgeapples or hedgeballs, I've heard them called both. Haven't had the mice problem, wasn't aware of that! But it does really help with the spiders and you don't have to use toxic chemicals to get rid of them! That's the best part.
lucky leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #24

Each 6 months I buy 2 of the white plastic flea collars. I cut them in half. A piece goes into the exterior of the refrig, water heater and furnace. The fourth piece goes in the basement. I do get an occasional spider but that is all. I think spiders and other bugs come in on my collie/shelty dog once in a while.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #25

I had real spider problem at my stick house a few years ago. With a school across the street and another behind me there was plenty of lights to attract bugs.

Then one day a Gecko Lizard showed up. Then more. After a few months no more spiders. These lizards are incredible. They eat everything that crawls on the outside of the house. Once in awhile one will get into the house. I'd rather have a Gecko crawling on me than a spider.
nalcon is offline   Reply With Quote