Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Unhappy spider in motorhome ? wolf spider

Looking for a way to rid a spider in our motorhome. We live in Maine but purchased our Class A from FL and drove it up from there. Within the last month we have seen this huge, probably about 2" in diameter including the legs, spider. Have done a bit of research and think it might be a wolf spider since it does not look like anything native to our area and feel we probably brought him from FL. Hubby saw it once when we entered the RV after dark and turned on a light. It was curled up around the smoke detector. I saw it again today when I entered. He was on the step leading in to the RV. Both times there has been quite and that is when he came out. I am creeped out and not sure if I can travel in this until we rid our visitor. Should I be concerned? We also travel with a deaf cat. Is the cat in any danger from this spider? We put sticky mats and spayed some repellant a week ago but apparently that has not done the trick. Any help as to what to do would be appreciated. This is ruining my enjoyment of our RV. We are scheduled to take a trip in a couple weeks and I don't want to go under the present circumstance.
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If it is a wolf spider then they come out mostly at night and hunt for water. Do not go to bed with a wet head .... Wolf Spiders of Kentucky - University of Kentucky Entomology .... How to Get Rid of Wolf Spiders in the House | eHow for some ways to get rid of them
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
spider

If its not a black widow(doesnt sound like it), or a brown recluse(will have a "fiddle" on its back with 3 eyes)--no worry-- whatever it is-- just kill it and enjoy tour trip. LMHO---Vince
vscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Buy a couple of insecticide foggers. Place one in the front and one in the back, open valves and close up the RV. By the next day I think you'll be rid of not only spiders but any other hitchhikers from Florida. Follow cautions about food and plastics, if any on box.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Buy a couple of insecticide foggers. Place one in the front and one in the back, open valves and close up the RV. By the next day I think you'll be rid of not only spiders but any other hitchhikers from Florida. Follow cautions about food and plastics, if any on box.
The problem with a fogger is unless you see visual confirmation the spider is dead you'll never know if you got it unless you come across it! And if you do use a fogger make darn sure you clean every inch of the unit afterwards. As you have a cat you don't want the cat licking anything or himself with the residue around.

Bug bombs don't just kill pests: People, pets also sickened by foggers - seattlepi.com
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6

If, my DW , saw a spider that size, she'd be after it with a pump action 12 gauge, and I'd have no MH left.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #7

Thanks for all your info and suggestions. Have found out since the first post that perhaps we did not pick him up in FL. One of the local PD's about 30 miles from here are located in an old building that is home to either one or more wolf spiders. They took a picture of one of them and showed it to me. However they have no suggestions as to how to handle it. Hubby sent me to buy the store out of large sticky traps used for mice and rodents in hopes that the spider will step on one during it's travels. I did get the name of the local Orkan folks and might try them. Reluctant to use a fogger due to the cat traveling with us. If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to chime in. I'll keep you posted. I'm afraid I will never know if he's gone unless we see him on the sticky paper and I'm hoping there is only one!
downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I have used "TERRO" Spider Traps and spray, --seems effective. The traps can be laid flat, but pets are less likely to get in them if they are folded like a tent and put under cabinets etc.
http://www.terro.com/products/spider-trap
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #9

A Maine winter will kill it naturally
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
There is a product called tempo. We can buy it at the local fertilizer store. We live in a rural area. You can mix it spray around walls and baseboards it will do the trick. Check the label use as directed. I just did a quick search for tempo insecticide lots of places to buy online.
The Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

Why not leave the spider alone? He'll keep down any other bugs that might try to inhabit your MH. Who knows, your cat may enjoy having a playmate.

Years ago when I lived in Florida, I had a bunch of aquariums, some salt water (can we say expensive?). Had major problems with palmetto bugs and because of the fish tanks, could not use insecticide, so I asked the little old lady that lived nearby what she used (she had fish tanks as well). She told me to go get myself a tarantula and turn it loose. I must say after the first week had no more palmetto bug problem. It turned out I was allergic to the hair on the spider so I could always tell when it had been on the bed, other than that, I never saw it, unless I was vacuuming and moved furniture or turned on the kitchen light in the middle of the night.

Good Luck
Kaye
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it is a Wolf Spider it is a little one, seeing them around 4 inch diameter with the legs, is fairly common. They are fast as hell and very smart. I saw one on a chair in my Lanai, just caught a movement out of the corner of my eye on the chair back. As I would approach it would go to the back, or around to the front, took two of us to out fox it and get a hit with the swatter. If hunting is not good it will leave on it's own accord.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:59 PM   #13

They run in Pairs

Wolf spiders overall are more menacing looking than harmful. FYI, they do run in pairs!!!!
Dapperdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #14

Our winter home is in FL and we see wolf spiders once in a while. I have heard that they keep tigers and elephants away and, sure enough, I do not see any tigers or elephants. Seriously, they are pretty harmless, just ugly and scary. We just whack them with a shoe or rolled up paper - try to wait until they are on the tile floor so clean up is easy.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome