Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spring oil changes! Feels good to putz with the MH!

Changed the gen oil and filter yesterday. I was amazed at how convenient it is to get to everything on the onan qg5500 as compared to the generac we had on the old unit! Filter is right at the front edge and comes off like a breeze and the oil drain has a petcock so you don't need any tools whatsoever! I put in mobil 1 10-30. We bought our bounder in august and used it through november and already have 280 hours on the gen. The first two changes I used conventional oil but I figured with the workout we give it the synthetic will be a good thing. Im also giving the old v10 the mobil 1 treatment as it has 2890 miles on it but I think ford recommends 5-20 on that What do you all think about the synthetic in the gen?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 05:12 AM   #2

I'm happy to be able to see mine again, but it is snowing and will be cold and snowy for the next few days. Spring maintenance looks like it's still few weeks off.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:13 AM   #3

I did the V10 (a little over 2k miles, but heading to FL this weekend) yesterday with the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend and what a mess it made. Problem is that oil plug and filter are over the axle. I installed a fumoto valve for the next round and that should take care of the drain, but the filter will still be messy. Oh, and what a PITA to pour oil back in. I ended up using elbow grease with my gear oil pump to get 7 quarts in there.

Today I'm doing the genset and will most likely go with a blend also. I looked at it yesterday, and like you said, it's super easy with everything at the bottom with easy access.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ill be doing mine next month....looking forward to it.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That v10 doesn't sound fun. With all that room you think they could make it easy. I have for a lack of a better term a panel funnel that will slide between the axle and the motor and catch just about anything. Im I correct when I say its hard to get the oil in because the filler neck is too close to the top of the engine compartment? Good thing you tackled the tough one first. The gen will be a breeze!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #6

I have used synthetic oil exclusivly in every vehicle I own. I have seen fleet engines town down comparing oils. It cost more but well worth it in so many ways.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
That v10 doesn't sound fun. With all that room you think they could make it easy. I have for a lack of a better term a panel funnel that will slide between the axle and the motor and catch just about anything. Im I correct when I say its hard to get the oil in because the filler neck is too close to the top of the engine compartment? Good thing you tackled the tough one first. The gen will be a breeze!
I'll use a fuel or vacuum hose hooked up to the fumoto next time and it will drain it directly into a container. I think for the oil filter I'll use a large Ziploc bag next time. Like you said, the oil filler tube sits way up and impossible to pour the oil directly from the can. The oil pump worked but it was a headache. I wish there was a compartment from the inside of the coach that you can remove to reach the filler tube.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

In reality the oil change should of happened before winter...the old oil is caustic and does harm leaving it in all winter.

Good call for the use of synthetic's on the first oil change.
My Onan manual states 15w-40 weight oil, just use what the owners manual states.
The newer Ford V-10 demands 5w-20 to keep the injector system properly lubed. ( MotorCraft oil filter 820s ,again another area for Mobil 1)
Old 03-20-2014, 04:22 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
X2 on the Fumoto valve. Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive The 'N' suffix of their part number designates that the valve has the nipple needed to use it with a hose. No more wind blowing oil all over the place...I've ruined more than a few shirts that way.

Wal-Mart has funnels in the oil section of the store. I found a short one that fit perfectly into the oil fill tube of the 8.1 and pour Mobile 1 straight out of the 5 quart container. I actually enjoy oil changes now.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
X2 on the Fumoto valve. Fumoto F-106N Engine Oil Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive The 'N' suffix of their part number designates that the valve has the nipple needed to use it with a hose. No more wind blowing oil all over the place...I've ruined more than a few shirts that way.

Wal-Mart has funnels in the oil section of the store. I found a short one that fit perfectly into the oil fill tube of the 8.1 and pour Mobile 1 straight out of the 5 quart container. I actually enjoy oil changes now.
Yes, the nipple is a must have You have to be a contortionist to get in there an pour the oil...at least in our coach.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
In reality the oil change should of happened before winter...the old oil is caustic and does harm leaving it in all winter.
Doing an oil change in the spring will be just fine. As long as you use a quality oil and filter there shouldn't be any issues doing an oil change in the spring. The new dyno oils and the synthetics aren't as damaging to engine seals, etc. as they were in the past. They also don't breakdown as quickly.

Age isn't the driving factor in oil anymore, it is the mileage (heat, RPMs, etc.) that is the main factor of when to perform an oil change. I have a vehicle that doesn't get driven a ton and it gets oils changes every 8 or 9 months.....older than motorhome engine oil sitting over the winter.

Now if you change the oil in the spring and don't drive it enough to change the oil at some point during the RV season, I would consider changing the oil sooner. Oil that is a year old (or older) would make me consider a fall/winter oil change.

I usually change the oil in the spring and once mid season, but I also drive my motorhome ~5K per year.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Did the gen set today at 50.5 hours. Changed the oil and lubed the chassis a couple of weeks ago and the fumoto valve makes the task easier. I change my oil twice a year using full synthetic and we usually use it throughout the year on a part time basis.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Saving my jugs for my first FumotoN change this spring.
I always use a plastic bag over the filter for those last few turns. 2 bags work best one thinner to encase it and one to allow a turn without binding
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im aware of the acid buildup in oil. I was an ase certified mechanic for many years. Coach was bought at the end of august and I drove it at least once a month during the winter except for january but still ran it and let it warm up completely. A bigger culprit is the condensation when an engine is not allowed to warm up enough to boil off the condensation. Like somebody else said, don't have to worry much about caustic buildup anymore with the better oils and fuel not to mention the coach and oil are not even 6 months old. My oil question was more geared toward the gen. We put a lot of hours on it 280 already with only 3 months of real use. I went with the full synthetic for a few reasons 1. the temps the gen is subjected to 2. The long non stop run times. I also wonder about the tolerances in the gen motors as compared to a chassis motor. With how quickly I rack up 100 hours on the gen I almost went with std oil due to cost but my better sense told me Id be ahead in the long run. Although my generac in my last coach managed over 6000 hours in 6 years on std oil with only 2 starters, a choke assembly, dipstick housing (don't ask), valve cover gasket and a few misc springs.The last couple years I never needed to change the oil! I just added a quart a day LOL! Finally bit the dust and I replaced it with the same model and sold the coach. Come to think of it I think it was only on its second or third spark plug and second air filter. I would just blow them clean with an air gun. Once it started the oil leaking and consumption, it became a game of how bad I could beat the thing and have it still run. Darn thing just wouldn't stop.