Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Angry Spring supports are killing me!

4/20/17, I posted a thread here indicating my frustrations with a supplier where I had problems buying a gas spring to support my 5th wheel bed. Got that settled, but still no spring. Found a pair on ebay for just a few dollars more than what I was to pay for the first one. Immediately ordered. Took quite a while to get them. Meanwhile, I have a foam mattress still compressed in the pkg that I can't open until it's in place, and I can't place it until the springs are in place. The 30 day return window for the mattress expires today! USPS tracking indicated that the springs would arrive yesterday, so figured I was in good shape, SWMBO and I would install them yester day evening, set the mattress in place, open it up to make sure it wasn't defective, and we were in under the wire. Mail arrived, and there was a strange square pkg, all in bubble wrap, that we had no idea what it was or where it came from. No numbers on the outside of the pkg to indicate same except a Chinese name in NY, and the tracking #. Curiosity got the best of us, and we opened it. Still don't know what it is, some great big fabric bag, no idea what it's for. Called ebay, they ran the tracking #, and said it was the gas springs, and they had been delivered. This certainly was not gas springs. Now we have correspondence going with this vendor, he wants us to ship this pkg back, then he will exchange for the springs. I'm beginning to think we aren't supposed to access the under bed storage. Spent way over a month dealing with the first vendor, now about 10 days with this one, and still not springs. I sure hope this mattress isn't defective!
TheOldMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

I think the chances of the mattress being defective are pretty slim, but would be more concerned with the actual comfort.
Not sure why you couldn't place the new mattress even with the springs not working--I had a bad gas support and just used an old broom handle to hold it up when needing to get under there.
Hope you get it worked out...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

I have to agree that it's pretty unlikely that the mattress will be defective. The question is, how does it sleep? Any new mattress takes us a little time to get used to and the one we're currently sleeping on was no exception. It is the same one we used to sleep on in our old S&B. We took the pitiful excuse for a king RV mattress out and replaced it with our queen size (very firm foam). Gave us a little more room in the BR and we sleep like babies.

Sorry to hear about your issues getting a replacement gas rod. Luckily, I haven't had to replace one in the RV yet but I have in an old Jeep we used to own. Those I purchased from Auto Zone. Length and spring strength not withstanding, I'd give them a try.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many of those pistons are available at auto parts and RV stores. Just need the length and weight, 10lb, 20lb, etc. If you type "gas springs" in the Amazon search window, you'll get a bunch of them. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=3Q0GDS0JIF2SR Most are Prime available, so you would get them two days later. Just take a look at the numbers on your old ones.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

I simply took my old spring to a local RV place, they sold me a new one, installed it; all done in under 2hrs.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote