Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Do you have an open wi fi signal on board that could be the problem? It has been a problem with some recreational charter busses who run wi fi . Following cars creep up to busses to use the signal for their tablets and equipment. Annoying as well as safety factor . Another game player for sure.
Never heard of this. When the DW is with me we do keep the WiFi going for her Facebooking, I'll keep this in mind,
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #58

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do I keep Wi-Fi going: YES

Is it open: NO

I have two (Well really 3) WI-Fi Routers in this coach

SNAFU.NET requires a password or key phrase or .. Well you got to have the security key

SNAFU.OLD. is in a box not connnected

FOX-FI (My Smart phone) Only allows one device (Soon to be two) and that device needs to know the magic key too.

I also tend to turn it off if not using it.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:05 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Do you have an open wi fi signal on board that could be the problem? It has been a problem with some recreational charter busses who run wi fi . Following cars creep up to busses to use the signal for their tablets and equipment. Annoying as well as safety factor . Another game player for sure.
Good point. The same people who draft behind RV's, buses and truckers to get better mpg may very well be looking for the benefit of free WiFi. It takes all kinds.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #60

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If we use anything while traveling it is a Virgin air card. There is nothing there to distribute signal to anyone else. In this part of the trip, we didn't even have that on.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #61

REMORA

This happens to us so often we have labeled them as Remoras. They follow a big vehicle so the driver does not have to think. Sometimes they trail so mindlessly that merging traffic has to radically adjust approach velocity to compensate for an unexpected vehicle.

The relationship between a remora and its host is most often taken to be one of commensalism. The host to which it attaches for transport gains nothing from the relationship, but also loses little. The remora benefits by using the host as transport and protection...

Our conclusion: They are just too lazy to drive themselves.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #62

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
You have detailed the reasons while I dislike tailgaters in the first place. ... (much clipped0,,,

My main reason for opening this thread was to see if anyone else had had this experience. ...(Still more clipped.)
First, I see we are thinking more or less alike (In short we agree)

Second, Yes, many have had this happen. Which is why I mentioned Hypermilling, i've seen web sites dedicated to how to do it. People touting it as a way to save gas and so on.

And it appears we agree as to why it should not be done.

The difference is I dont' worry so much about a tail gater's radiator. and when next I get a towed.. Well. If he pancakes it he can just buy me a new one. cause his share of the cost (500 in Michigan) will just about cover it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #63

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
This happens to us so often we have labeled them as Remoras. They follow a big vehicle so the driver does not have to think. Sometimes they trail so mindlessly that merging traffic has to radically adjust approach velocity to compensate for an unexpected vehicle.

The relationship between a remora and its host is most often taken to be one of commensalism. The host to which it attaches for transport gains nothing from the relationship, but also loses little. The remora benefits by using the host as transport and protection...

Highway hypnosis is what its called.. People have become lost because of it. To the point of following trucks off the interstate and into a strange city with out realizing it..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #64

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post

I liked your analogy, and I learned a new word!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #65

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Somehow missing in this ongoing discussion is the fact that I had actually "uncoupled" the driver several times. On the long Chambersburg hill truck lane, for example, I had slowed significantly and moved to that lane. Because I was pulling in behind a truck, I actually had to use my brakes. This left the tailgating car in the now middle lane beside my toad. His momentum from behind him carried him past the toad, I'm assuming before he realized what was happening. Any normal driver would have simply kept going up the hill in that lane. Nope, not this one. He braked hard and switched to the truck lane behind me. From my viewpoint, this wasn't just blindly following me as overt action was needed on his part to regain his following position.

There were several other times when I broke our relationship so that it wasn't just his memorized following where I was going at stake here.

Yesterday, our son's finance was involved in a rear end collision. She was transitioning from one divided highway to another. The entrance ramp to the 2nd road was blocked by cars ahead of her so she slowed, leaving ample space between her and the car in front of her. It was a good thing because the car behind her plowed into her, nearly driving her into the car in front and also nearly totally her car. While the insurance will probably pay for the damage, she is in for several weeks worth of problems. Fortunately, she wasn't injured.

My wife often chides me for being too worried about those behind me. I'm not at all worried about those in front of me because I'm in control of my relationship with them. I was rear-ended twice (both minor) and after the 2nd one, started my pro-active approach to following drivers. In the 1M+ driving miles since, I've never had another. I viewed the driver in this incident as someone who was setting us both up for an accident. Very few people recognize the speed changes that can occur with a 11 ton MH in the hilly conditions like those in that stretch of I-81 and it only takes one lapse of consciousness for a collision to occur. I simply refuse to accept it. It is easy to say that insurance will cover the results but that assumes that no vehicle control was lost during impact. I will not make that assumption. Our son, whose neck was broken in a rear end collision and would be paralyzed today without near miraculous medical attention doesn't accept that assumption either.

I did believe that the driver was going over and above normal tailgating which is why I originally opened this thread.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Yesterday, our son's finance was involved in a rear end collision. She was transitioning from one divided highway to another. The entrance ramp to the 2nd road was blocked by cars ahead of her so she slowed, leaving ample space between her and the car in front of her. It was a good thing because the car behind her plowed into her, nearly driving her into the car in front and also nearly totally her car. While the insurance will probably pay for the damage, she is in for several weeks worth of problems. Fortunately, she wasn't injured.
Glad to hear she was not injured.. You will note I suggested the 9-1-1 call and perhaps a detour via the local PD parking lot.

Some years ago I was going for gas, running on vapors I was in the right lane and wouldn't you knwo it, a car broke down in front of me.. Well the line dwindled to just 4 of us, Said break down, a Pickup where the driver got out and offered his services (had he passed I would have) myself and an Alphabet car behind me (You know those cars like hte 'K" car). Suddenly an identical save for the make/model alphabet car (Same car different label) came out of the 2nd lane at around 60mph in the 45 zone and there was no way, I mean no way he was goign to stop in time. WHAM. I missed the pick up.

Police arrived promptly.

Later in court I tell my story to the magistrate, the Defendant says "But But But, Shouldent they have had their 4-ways on" (NOt a requirement and don't work when you have both feet on the brake pedal)

I did not stick around for the sentencing,, had other places to be, but I did take a look at the idiot's driving reacord.. He got to leave his license at Driver's License Appeal Division after that stunt.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #67

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Somehow missing in this ongoing discussion is the fact that I had actually "uncoupled" the driver several times. On the long Chambersburg hill truck lane, for example, I had slowed significantly and moved to that lane. Because I was pulling in behind a truck, I actually had to use my brakes. This left the tailgating car in the now middle lane beside my toad. His momentum from behind him carried him past the toad, I'm assuming before he realized what was happening. Any normal driver would have simply kept going up the hill in that lane. Nope, not this one. He braked hard and switched to the truck lane behind me. From my viewpoint, this wasn't just blindly following me as overt action was needed on his part to regain his following position.

There were several other times when I broke our relationship so that it wasn't just his memorized following where I was going at stake here.

My wife often chides me for being too worried about those behind me. I'm not at all worried about those in front of me because I'm in control of my relationship with them. I was rear-ended twice (both minor) and after the 2nd one, started my pro-active approach to following drivers. In the 1M+ driving miles since, I've never had another. I viewed the driver in this incident as someone who was setting us both up for an accident. Very few people recognize the speed changes that can occur with a 11 ton MH in the hilly conditions like those in that stretch of I-81 and it only takes one lapse of consciousness for a collision to occur. I simply refuse to accept it. It is easy to say that insurance will cover the results but that assumes that no vehicle control was lost during impact. I will not make that assumption. Our son, whose neck was broken in a rear end collision and would be paralyzed today without near miraculous medical attention doesn't accept that assumption either.

I did believe that the driver was going over and above normal tailgating which is why I originally opened this thread.
Still.. people do pick one vehicle as a 'travel companion' and stick with them.. Happens to me all the time in my car. I slow, they slow. I change lanes, so do they. Happens all the time.

As for those behind me.. I too worry a lot about them. I am always looking for an 'out' in case I have to slam the breaks and part of that 'out' includes NOT letting the trailing car hit me..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #68

A lot of people will speed up and pass an erratic driver. Who wants and erratic driver behind them? Slow for a bit and put some pavement between you and that driver.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #69

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
A lot of people will speed up and pass an erratic driver. Who wants and erratic driver behind them? Slow for a bit and put some pavement between you and that driver.
Good point Dunner. I think that if I were being followed I would be such an erratic PITA to the guy behind me that he would be itching to pass me thinking about what an idiot I am.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 AM   #70

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I did not stick around for the sentencing,, had other places to be, but I did take a look at the idiot's driving reacord.. He got to leave his license at Driver's License Appeal Division after that stunt.
I'm glad to see that happen. If more people were held accountable like that for their actions, the number of rear end collisions would be resuded, IMHO. Too often, they pay a small fine, even for repeat offenses and are off on their merry way to commit yet another. The same seems to be true for DWI but that is the subject of yet a different thread.

As luck would have it, I was a spectator, not a participant in yet another incident yesterday. In heavy traffic, a woman was driving her car inches from the back bumper of a delivery truck. The truck changed lanes. So did she. The relationship between the vehicles remained the same. Finally, I pulled along side in an adjacent lane instead of being a half a dozen car lengths back and the woman was on her phone, talking in an animated fashion and occasionally gesturing with both of her hands. She was obviously a much better driver than I am as I could never have managed such a close relationship with my attention so divided. I don't think she had any idea where she was going other than following that truck but I could be wrong. I'm so very glad that she was following the truck and not me.