Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
And, despite the OP's request, off we go down this bunny trail. This is a prime example of why the following Community Rule was instituted:

Quote:
General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Since we all agreed to abide by the Community Rules when we joined iRV2, they're really worth a read. The link to them can be found on the teal bar at the bottom of every page on the forums.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've seen some short stops in front of RV's. So we installed a Dash Cam just in case.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
The one last Thursday had to do a lot of maneuvering to stay behind me. I had managed to separate us into different lanes several times, only to have them get behind me again. I had one of the cell phone hypnosis types behind me today while I was driving the toad and they were very easy to get rid of. The VA Stalker (I like that title) was not at all easy to shake.
VA Stalker
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
I know it's contrary to some reader's understanding of the Community Rules, but TRAILERKING poses a world opinion of Americans...We're all armed and not afraid to use it. Seems to me it short circuits problem solving when you're so ready to use the 'final solution' --deadly force. I've seen this same atitude in threads about rest areas, Walmart parking, etc. I'm armed so I can use it.
The OP and many others argue that 911 or LEO's are not going to respond or help, perpetuating the idea that they must carry deadly force to defend themselves. A call to 911 when you feel suspicious or nervous in a possibly threatening situation is my belief on why it's there. Even if they don't immediately turn out with sirens and lights, you're on record with them and a second call later on should cause a response.
I wonder why the OP said, "1. Pull over or take an exit - I didn't think this was a good idea." I understand pulling over on the side of the highway as not being a good idea, but what about taking an exit? As I mentioned in my first suggestion early in this thread, pulling into a busy service station or restaurant lot would provide lots of witnesses.
The OP did use the strategy of pulling through a rest area to shake his 'tail.' I wouldn't rely on a rest area as a place to get help myself, but it worked.
The OP also mentioned doing quick lane and speed changes. Perhaps the following car was observing his 'erratic' driving and preparing a 911 call himself? I use the mirrors to watch behind, but I don't get suspicious so easily. On long drives, I often pass or get passed by same vehicles all day as we stop for fuel, food, rest stops, etc. I don't immediately think the worst of these coincidences.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #33

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I wonder why the OP said, "1. Pull over or take an exit - I didn't think this was a good idea." I understand pulling over on the side of the highway as not being a good idea, but what about taking an exit? As I mentioned in my first suggestion early in this thread, pulling into a busy service station or restaurant lot would provide lots of witnesses.
The OP did use the strategy of pulling through a rest area to shake his 'tail.' I wouldn't rely on a rest area as a place to get help myself, but it worked.
The OP also mentioned doing quick lane and speed changes. Perhaps the following car was observing his 'erratic' driving and preparing a 911 call himself? I use the mirrors to watch behind, but I don't get suspicious so easily. On long drives, I often pass or get passed by same vehicles all day as we stop for fuel, food, rest stops, etc. I don't immediately think the worst of these coincidences.
Drive that stretch of highway and look at the exits. As a driver with nearly 50K miles on my MH, I try not to put myself into places where I have to potentially unhook my toad to get out of. There is no backing up with a toad so you much have enough space to swing the MH on its turning radius. Even some gas stations don't have enough room for me to do this. Almost none of the fast food places or regular restaurants have that kind of space. Several of the exits would likely have required me to drive many miles on a two lane road to find a turnout. With the potential of someone tailing me, that is why I didn't think it was a good idea. I still don't.

The rest area was just a lucky fluke. The car had been in another lane beside me several times in the 100 miles but always managed to slow and get back in behind me. With that car finally in front of me, I was able to look at alternatives. I might have taken an exit and immediately gotten back on if one had presented itself instead of the rest stop coming up. I just used the rest stop to increase the distance between us, not really as an escape. As I have said several times, the heavy traffic would have precluded me slowing too much while on the main pavement. The rest stop solved that problem.

I admit that after dealing this car for 100 miles and in the midst of heavy traffic, my actions like quick lane changes were becoming more bold. I had tried all of the benign ones that I could. I still wasn't putting anyone else in any danger because I timed my evasive lane changes between the groups of other vehicles. If the car's driver hadn't been deliberately targeting me, one lane change would have accomplished my purpose.

This was certainly not a case of a random, occasional proximity of two vehicles. The long Christiansburg hill with the truck lane confirmed that. No car without a specific intent is going to shift behind a much slower vehicle in that truck lane - which is where I was. Before that, two construction areas also showed that car tailgating me in the right lane when it had been in the left lane as I passed a slower vehicle and it followed me back to the right lane. It passed the same slower vehicle that I did and there was no reason for it not to remain in the left lane and pass me, too, as I pulled back into the right lane.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
chasfm11, Thanks for your quick and polite response. I tried to choose my words carefully without attacking or accusing anyone, and you did the same. I hope the issues brought up in your post and my response can be discussed in a calm and thoughtful manner.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
chasfm11, Thanks for your quick and polite response. I tried to choose my words carefully without attacking or accusing anyone, and you did the same. I hope the issues brought up in your post and my response can be discussed in a calm and thoughtful manner.
That is my intent as well. We can see things differently without being disagreeable.

I would not have opened this thread if I didn't want to accept differing opinions. I sincerely hope that I don't have to face a similar situation in the future but if I do, I want to be better prepared than I was this time. I was really caught off guard. I frankly don't want to do the same things that I did again. At the same time, I know what I faced and am fairly certain that some ideas would not have worked.

We were on day 1 of a 1,500 mile trip and I really wanted to try to make 500 miles. I freely admit that my distraction with this situation probably caused me to drive more slowly than I might have without it and we didn't achieve my goal. I knew that we would likely face rain for the following two days, resulting in 500 miles during each one of them more difficult. So this situation really jeopardized more than just a single day of driving.

At no time in the incident did I think that my safety was threatened. But I also didn't want to get to that point by making a bad choice. I had my wife and my granddaughter with me so there was more than just me to think about.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #36

Are you by chance running bio-diesel that smells like french fries?

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #37

i live in the staunton area and have not heard of any stalking problems on I81 or 64 there is usually too many truckers around for any trouble like that contrary to popular feelings the truckers are our best friends when in trouble by the way va requires tags front and rear
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 AM   #38
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, let's stay on topic as iRV2's rules do not permit the general discussion of firearms rights.

Thanks!

Quote:
General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
There is a whole lot of "not right" with that behavior. 100 miles of that sort of thing should energize anyone's radar. It could be completely innocent, but I wouldn't have hesitated dialing 911 just to be on the safe side. I drive 81 quite often and you never have to drive very far to run across a state trooper trying to hide in the median strip. I think they would jump on something like that because it's different.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #40

Several years ago my daughter and her husband and 2 year old child were traveling I-10 west. The same thing was happening with them, they were being tailgated. He would speed up and slow down as they were for many miles. They were able to get the plate number.. In Louisiana we can dial *LSP ( star Louisiana Sate Police) on cell phones. He must have seen them on the so he went on ahead of them. As my daughter kept driving the later saw the car pulled over by the State Police.

I would not hesitate to report behavior like this to police.
Jymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #41
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I am not a paranoid person , but when someone is following me for 100 miles and switches lanes every time I do and speeds up and slows down as I do , my antenna goes up. I was born at night but not last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
Exactly
My sentiments also.

I have never met a car that wants to stay behind me on a long hill climb at 25-30 mph, and even at 45-50 mph unless it was an old, old clunker, but then on the downhill slope I'm going approximately the same speed as when going up and all cars pass me by.

I think you concerns were well founded. I would have dialed 911 and explained my concerns. What is the worse that could have happened calling 911. Probably no response, but I believe that all 911 calls have to have a response. Someone help me out on that one.

Glad it turned out all right for you.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
but I believe that all 911 calls have to have a response. Someone help me out on that one.
Sometimes the response is 'No.' I'd have reported it too.

Bob & Donna