Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 02:09 PM   #1

StarRV extended warranty problems

We are having the worst run around with this company and I need to know if anyone has ever taken a warranty company to court?

We purchased a MHCC Diamond plan when we bought our coach last year. We are currently at a shop and they once again denied our claim (they have denied every claim when submitted and then after hours and hours of back and forth usually will then partially approve) which seems to be the script their phone operators have. Our contract very clearly states that they cover suspension and wheel bearings, they are saying that they only cover items in the coach and that it does not matter what the contract states. Then when pushed they came back with they would have covered the wheel bearings if they had been on the back tires but not for the front.

Any experience would be appreciated as I am at the end of my rope
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I would have the agent / Company that you purchased it from get involved.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

I have but they told me that they sold it to me but have no control over what is approved or not (spoken to the finance manager that sold it to us, the service manager though not sure why, and the store manager). Lots of fingers pointing but no answers. It just is very frustrating to have something in writing that is not honored and no recourse besides the courts. Miss the time when people were good for their word and stood by their product.
foreverfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not a lawyer but it is basic contract law. They agree to do XXX for a price of XXX. That is what the contract states. There is usually a clause that this is the entire agreement and nothing verbal is part of the agreement. They can say this and that but it does not apply. I did a search and cannot even find MHCC on the internet???
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverfree View Post
I have but they told me that they sold it to me but have no control over what is approved or not (spoken to the finance manager that sold it to us, the service manager though not sure why, and the store manager). Lots of fingers pointing but no answers. It just is very frustrating to have something in writing that is not honored and no recourse besides the courts. Miss the time when people were good for their word and stood by their product.

Before you hire an attorney, you might want to consider the following:

On each and every call/correspondence, etc, note time, date, who you spoke to, what was said, response, etc.

If you are getting the run around, request to speak to a supervisor. When that person comes on the line, FIRST, verify that they are indeed a supervisor, get name and official title, note time, date etc. Do you pitch, quote the contract. Note responses. (I use an Excel spreadsheet, even while I'm on the phone. I even say things like, "Hold on, I'm typing what you're saying as we go along, and I don't type very fast!" Use their name often in the conversation) Finish your call with a recap of what was said. "So to wrap up, I stated . . . . . . . and your response was . . . . . , I just need to know that I'm quoting you accurately so that when I escalate this, I have the correct information."

If you get no resolution, contact your state Attorney General's Office. Be factual, clear and concise. State who you contacted, what was said, what your contract stated, and the response you received.

Rarely have I gotten into a situation where the issue was not resolved to my satisfaction. However, the times I got the Kentucky State Attorney Generals Office involved, the issues were were resolved QUICKLY!

Note: The Attorney General's Office will not pursue the situation if you do not have your ducks in a row, and they WILL NOT pursue it if they feel that your are being unreasonable in your requests. They will ALWAYS contact the other party and give them an opportunity to tell THEIR side of the story. I don't take anything to them that is not clearly legitimate, and I exhaust the "chain of command" at the offending business before I contact the AG.

Good Luck in your endeavor and I hope you get some satisfaction.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Small claims court might be an option, if available in your state and the contract allows litigation (some require arbitration or have other restrictions). Inexpensive and often fairly quick.

Obviously if the contract clearly states something is covered, you have an open & shut case once the civil law system is invoked, but that can be expensive (probably what the company is counting on to reduce lawsuits). And the contracts are often written in such a way that one "clear" clause contradicts another "clear" statement, or at least provides wiggle room.

Good luck!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #7

INTERSTATE'S CONSUMERS HOME PAGE

Interstate is proud to have administered service contracts for over 1 Million satisfied customers. Whether you are already a contract holder, or are considering our products for the first time, we hope you will find this site useful and educational.

When you make a big purchase, emotions are running high. Is the product high quality? Will it perform up to its claims? Will expectations be met? At Interstate, we add confidence to every purchase - to make those moments more enjoyable. From a shiny red convertible to a sleek new Jet Ski from the freedom of a RV to that nostalgic classic motorcycle.

I have the same policy, not had to use it as of yet. When googled the reviews left a lot to be desired. It is my guess, this company gives Dealers a juicy deal. Interstate gets the customers and dealers get some sort of payoff. I agree regarding having everything in order, more documentation the better. A pain but would be best in the long run. Good Luck.
olddog49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the Star RV Diamond plan for 7 years and never had a claim denied. I had quite a few claims and the shops I used said they were easy to work with.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you provide the exact written text for the denial?
Can you provide the exact written text for your inclusionary (I assume) warranty?

Anyone that says "it doesn't matter what the contract says" isn't doing their job.

They are known for "only paying national average" - meaning a price that you can't get on items.

Lots of posts on this company:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Star...w=1680&bih=931
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also, they have a high number of complaints, but they are a BBB member - meaning they'll at least respond:

All consumer complaints resolved for Interstate National Dealer Services, Inc. - Metro Atlanta, Athens and Northeast Georgia BBB
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems