Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #15

I never ran our previous MH (Georgie Boy Cruisemaster with a 460 Ford) unless we were pulling out of the driveway heading out on a road trip. It usually sat for 3-4 months during the winter. On our current MH (350 Cat engine) I do the same - crank it when we are ready to hit the road.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
If you are adding stabil wouldn't you want to run it afterward to get it through the fuel system other than just in the fuel tank?

Old 01-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #17
IC2

Let it sit until ready to move on. Others have given some good reasons not to start the engine without going through a good heat cycle. My concern with that engine would be different since it looks like it's in a '92 MH. That concern is with full oiling of the camshaft and associated components. The government in it's 'quest' to clean up the environment has ordered lube oil manufacturers to remove an essential part of that oil's additive makeup - ZDDP. That ZDDP is what lubed the interface between the cam lobes and the lifters. Roller lifters are minimally affected by the additive removal, but Ford never used them in the 385 series engines so you are stuck with a 'flat' tappet. An already used engine with many miles has the bearing surface worn in to each cam lobe and if run on a fairly regular basis, you wont have a problem. If let sit - also probably none either but that potential is always there. I would probably crank the engine with the coil wire pulled for perhaps 5-10 seconds to ensure that the oil pump has distributed oil to everything then fire it off. Others say to pull the spark plugs and add a bit of oil to each cylinder to ensure piston ring to cylinder wall lubrication after 90 or so days of sitting.

As far as oil with close to the old levels of ZDDP - it's available though you may have to spend some time finding it where you are currently. There are also additives that can be installed with high ZDDP levels.

Then with all that said, most folks simply get in the vehicle, turn the key, pump the pedal twice and fire it off with absolutely no problem
Old 01-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #18

I can not agree with most of these comments made about letting a gas motor sit for a long period of time without starting it, True old carburetors use dump gas every time you started the motor flushing down the cylinder walls with gas. My thoughts are the best thing ever happened to gas motors, fuel injection, motors last for a million miles. Start that engine every once in while let it warm up 15 minutes get oil pumping around charging the battery, what the heck maybe it don't help nothing but I don't think it will hurt anything either look how many time times you start your car run to get a paper a mile away and shut it off. It makes me feel better to check it, I like to her my engine run.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valland View Post
I can not agree with most of these comments made about letting a gas motor sit for a long period of time without starting it, True old carburetors use dump gas every time you started the motor flushing down the cylinder walls with gas. My thoughts are the best thing ever happened to gas motors, fuel injection, motors last for a million miles. Start that engine every once in while let it warm up 15 minutes get oil pumping around charging the battery, what the heck maybe it don't help nothing but I don't think it will hurt anything either look how many time times you start your car run to get a paper a mile away and shut it off. It makes me feel better to check it, I like to her my engine run.
I actually agree with you. I start my engine just to run the slides in and out maybe a couple times a month and let it run for 5 minutes each time. However, I also take it on the road every month or so and drive it for a 100 miles or so. If all I ever did was start and run for 5 minutes that would not be good which is what I think the OP was asking about.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam60 View Post
If you are adding stabil wouldn't you want to run it afterward to get it through the fuel system other than just in the fuel tank?
sam60
You should "start and DRIVE the coach" after adding Stabil to the fuel in the tank... (NOT simply "start and RUN the engine".
Old 01-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would run the engine for a while at least once a month, maybe even every couple of weeks!

I would also go through the transmission shift positions while holding the brake, pausing 10 seconds or so at each position.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:09 PM   #22

Starting a diesel in the off season is not a bad idea. It does not have to be run down the road to be effective however. I start mine and when the oil has thinned out enough to have reasonable pressure, I set the high idle to about 1500rpm and I keep it like this until the water temp has gotten to full operating temperature. 170 degrees is 170 degrees whether you get it by driving down the road or just idling you accomplished the same thing. Plus I don't have to take the tire covers off just for a ride. and then put them back on. JMHO
Old 02-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Starting a diesel in the off season is not a bad idea. It does not have to be run down the road to be effective however. I start mine and when the oil has thinned out enough to have reasonable pressure, I set the high idle to about 1500rpm and I keep it like this until the water temp has gotten to full operating temperature. 170 degrees is 170 degrees whether you get it by driving down the road or just idling you accomplished the same thing. Plus I don't have to take the tire covers off just for a ride. and then put them back on. JMHO
TonyDi
It's your coach and your engine and you are free to treat it anyway you want.
Personally I believe that starting a diesel and only running it until the water temp has gotten to full operating temperature without driving the coach does more harm than good.

BTW, I believe both Cummins and Cat recommend that their engines not be run at a idle, (even a 1500rpm idle), for long periods of time.

But you don't have to take my word for it.
For the correct information about idling your engine you can call the engine manufacturer and ask...(IMO nobody knows your engine better that the manufacturer of that engine).
Here are the phone numbers for Cummins and Caterpillar.
Cummins Care: 1-800-343-7357 ...Caterpillar RV Hotline 877 777-3126.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #24

I also come in on the dark side of this issue. I prefer to run mine at least once a month for several reasons. Whenever these posts come up there are numerous statements about it doing more harm than good. One is introduction of moisture.
Not a good thing but how many failures have you read about directly related to crankcase moisture? Failures of turbochargers, alternators, belts, lift pumps, water pumps seem to be far more common. I know I replaced five turbos on my Ford 6.0 and was told it was because I let it sit too long (rust on the vanes). There are many componets attached to these engines that I dont think benefit from non use/ exercise. As far as running it at idle too long (soot) goes, it doesn't seem to bother most folks to let that rig idle away for 30 min while they hook up their toad. I don't think that any manufacturer recommends that be done in excess but there are thousands of emergency vehicles, both gas and diesel, that idle for hours everyday without major issues.
I prefer to make sure my stuff runs when I need it to and don't like to wait before the day before a trip to find out there's a problem either with the engine, the slides, the air systems, etc.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #25

Doe anyone consider lubrication along with moisture, or is moisture the only thing to be concerned with? Not to disagree that bringing the engine up to temp with a load is needed to displace moisture, but what happens when an engine sits for a long time without being lubricated? What I'm saying is that the only time oil flows through the engine is when it is running or if there is a pre-lube system installed which will provide lubrication to the engine before it starts. Doesn't the oil that is normally between bearing surfaces eventually disappear over time? This has always been a concern for me and I sometimes start an engine for only long enough to get oil circulating before shutting it down. Before starting my boat engine after a long period of non-use I run the oil pump with a drill until there is oil pressure before cranking it. I've also pulled spark plugs to decrease pressure on the bearing surfaces and cranked the engine until there was oil pressure if the engine had been idle for a long time.

I'm curious about what others think about lubrication in this context?

I have never used sta-bil or other fuel treatments and have never had a problem, but if it is a year or two old I usually drain it or significantly dilute it with new fuel. I'm not saying anyone else should do this, just stating my experience which is always subject to change.:-))

Steve
Old 02-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #26

You could look at the construction industry or municipalities.

They leave construction equipment on site or stored for months at a time.

Look at " Gold Rush ". Do you think someone runs up to the Yukon every month, all winter, to start the machines.

Northern municipalities park street sweepers, grass cutting and beach equipment all winter long.

Come spring the snow removing equipment gets stored.

Boats up north are hauled out of the water. They can't be started.

Look at all the stored MHs in the Keys. Nobody is starting them.

Like someone else said, it's your stuff, treat it like you want. I don't think there is any benefit to doing it, except piece of mind that it still works. Until it don't.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
TonyDi
It's your coach and your engine and you are free to treat it anyway you want.
Personally I believe that starting a diesel and only running it until the water temp has gotten to full operating temperature without driving the coach does more harm than good.

BTW, I believe both Cummins and Cat recommend that their engines not be run at a idle, (even a 1500rpm idle), for long periods of time.

But you don't have to take my word for it.
For the correct information about idling your engine you can call the engine manufacturer and ask...(IMO nobody knows your engine better that the manufacturer of that engine).
Here are the phone numbers for Cummins and Caterpillar.
Cummins Care: 1-800-343-7357 ...Caterpillar RV Hotline 877 777-3126.

Mel
'96 Safari
Good to know, my next trip to Montana when it's -30 I will shut the engine down so that the diesel will gel up....instead of kicking the idle up to 1,000 and letting it run all night like everyone else that's doing it wrong
Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
Good to know, my next trip to Montana when it's -30 I will shut the engine down so that the diesel will gel up....instead of kicking the idle up to 1,000 and letting it run all night like everyone else that's doing it wrong
Every truck stop in Montana will have an AntiGel additive that you can add to your tank. As long as I could have the generator running I would just plug in the coach for the night. Especially with these new engines and DPF systems.

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine