Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #1

Starting Over

We are are not alone, I know it. Because of the crash in 2008, we lost jobs then in 2013 and we lost the battle to keep our home. We took funds from our 401k and bought a Fleetwood Bounder. We wanted desperately to return to no. Ca and this was the only way. Now we are in a RV park and loving it. My husband is working full time. There are so many couples her that are in the same situation, most are in 5th wheels though. Why isn't there more stories about those of us? No one said our Sr. years would be like this. We worked hard paid our bills, had our homes, and now? We will never have a brick and mortar house, but we love our home (on wheels). Any one else here like us?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:36 AM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, we've been lucky even with my parents dying, DW's parents dying and then her daughter. Now the DW is sick and has been off work for three years and in the hospital 14 times in the three years.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
While I'm not like you yet, that is my plan B. My truck is paid for and in good condition, I'll hopefully have my 5er paid off in five years but.......The payment is less than the house so if I'm forced to choose between them the decision might be easy. Plus, I like my 5er much more than my house. If it hits the fan and I lose the house I won't cry over it, the hit to my credit, yes, the house? Just a house. A thing.

One of the secrets to life is rolling with the punches. You took care of yourself and you're standing on your own. If anyone else doesn't like it, screw them.

Why aren't there more stories? Because they're embarrassed most likely. Good on you, you took the unfortunate lumps from life, rose from it and walked away unashamed. We need more like you.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight View Post
While I'm not like you yet, that is my plan B. My truck is paid for and in good condition, I'll hopefully have my 5er paid off in five years but.......The payment is less than the house so if I'm forced to choose between them the decision might be easy. Plus, I like my 5er much more than my house. If it hits the fan and I lose the house I won't cry over it, the hit to my credit, yes, the house? Just a house. A thing.

One of the secrets to life is rolling with the punches. You took care of yourself and you're standing on your own. If anyone else doesn't like it, screw them.

Why aren't there more stories? Because they're embarrassed most likely. Good on you, you took the unfortunate lumps from life, rose from it and walked away unashamed. We need more like you.
I agree... and... where's the like button...LOL!
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #5

Wink

In the mid 2000s my job went to a place where I didn't want to go. My wife was in the final stages of terminal cancer and the likelihood of finding another job was slim, even if I was able to find something that allowed me to work and take care of her. In 2005 I took a modest buyout deal from my fortune 500 company employer and left. Luckily, we had some money saved up and I was able to continue our insurance under the COBRA program at about $900/month, a great deal since her medical bills were in the tens of thousands of $$$ every month. She passed away 3 months after I left my job. I have since remarried and we (almost) get by on our social security checks. We both sold our homes and bought a smaller home together, we were able to pay it off completely and we only bought vehicles we could afford to pay cash for, thus they are mostly older vehicles. We are financing our two year old 5th wheel and may die owing money on it, but at 70 I have decided there's still some things I want to do. Takes a lot of shuffling bills to figure out how to be able to travel but we manage. Maybe in 2 years the economy will get better.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Sorry for your misfortune but glad you're enjoying the MH!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #7

I think there are millions of people quietly suffering with lesser income and have scaled back their lifestyles. You see it in economic growth figures on the news. The talking heads are questioning why people aren't going hog wild with the spending now that things are back to "normal".
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't know what you think is newsworthy. There have always been huge numbers of people who have lost their homes and jobs, and many people in that situation have been living in trailer parks since the 1940's.

Millions are, and have been, living in circumstances far lower that what they had originally hoped and planned for. There simply isn't anything that is newsworthy about it. There have been several novels and movies done about it, from serious introspective dramas to light hearted comedies. That level of recognition is pretty common over the years.

Most news articles that are done on the subject deal with those who are in far worse condition then trailer park living, the homeless, or those living in substandard housing or shelters.

What do you think a news report on the situation would look like? I'm not sure you can get any interest with headlines like "Millions of people fail to achieve the American Dream, forced to live in mobile homes and travel trailers."

For millions, upon millions that's just seriously old news, and for millions of other people who are living in cheap apartments, and inner city ghettos, your situation would be the American Dream by comparison.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #9

Wasn't there a topic on here about being a "thread Killer"?
Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacking View Post
Wasn't there a topic on here about being a "thread Killer"?

Yeah, but with thousands of responses I never dared to read it. What was it about?

[Moderator Edit]

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
[Moderator Edit] I think you missed the point of the original post.

It's not news anymore, in fact we're on the downhill slide to the bubble burst being a decade ago, but people are still reeling from it. I am, I make less today than I did in 2006 yet the cost of living is much, much higher.

But, we've gotten used to it. This is the new reality I'm afraid.

I don't thing the OP was looking for news stories about how some have fallen homeless or lost it all. What I took it to mean was everyone that's full timing makes out that they are doing it completely by choice when the reality is likely much different. People had an RV or the means to get one and went for it to make ends meet. Especially if you can buy your rig outright then finding the right CG with good monthly rates you can live quite cheaply, so when you find yourself in a new financial situation you adapt.

Yet our OP is the first I've heard directly admit that they got financially whacked and now full time. I'm very sure they're not the only ones, I know of a few that are doing it that way but they won't admit it, "Yeah, we decided to just sell the house and go for it!" yet when I rode by the house there was a bank owned for sale sign out front.

So give her a little respect, I don't know how or why but when the financial world gave out so did their plans. They did what was necessary and moved on. It takes guts to admit that their plans didn't work (Notice I didn't say they were poor plans or they weren't smart, they just didn't work, it happens.) and now they're doing what frankly I'd do in a second if I didn't have a mortgage, a wife and daughter in college, friends that have moved in and too much crap to put into storage.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 12:43 AM   #12

What is the measure of success? Keeping up with the Jones'? I think not.
Life is constant changes and being knocked down is only one of them. It doesn't matter how many times one gets knocked down but how many times one gets up!
After many decades I've come to learn that what I wanted 3 decades ago is not what I want now. Being comfortable with what you have and enjoying life is far more important than anything else.
I give a lot of credit to the OP on this post for finding that life goes on and can be very enjoyable. I'm glad they are here.
I'm sure there are more like them but many may fear the changes life brings and may not discuss it with us.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Starting Over

We are Canadians,

Today We mourn the loss of life of One of Our fellow Countryman in a needless slaying.

The way that we were raised was to first buy a Home and pay off the mortgage.

Buy something bigger and repeat the process until We were comfortable with the results.

Then buy the Toys and other Luxury Items that we always wanted . We did that and currently Own a beautiful piece of Lakefront property with a modest ,but comfortable Home.

We drive a 2007 Model car purchased six months ago. We have a very serviceable Boat that We bought so Our Kids could waterski back in 1988 and have a 1998 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher that We have enjoyed for the last Five Years.

We have never gone to bed hungry and have travelled extensively,but still have places to see in this wonderful World!

It bothers Me to read about People who have had tough times ,but I wonder , is it possible that you have been mislead in Your quest to achieve Your Dreams?

We are certainly Not Rich, and yet , We seem to have so much more than so many !

We don't have the Newest and Shiniest , We certainly can't afford to eat out in the fanciest restaurants, heck We don't Eat Out much at all!

We don't pretend to be anything other than who and what We Are.

We have had nothing handed to Us by anyone!

The only thing that We have been given is a Public Education!

We believe that You make Your Own Luck! We don't waste money on Lottery Tickets or get rich quick schemes!

Neither My Wife or I have perfect Health and We are Not ever going to be featured on the Cover of Beautiful People Magazine.

We are not driven,but rather have been steering the Cart all our lives.

We don't want fame or fortune, but do want to keep pace with the flow of traffic.

At no time in Our lives have We ever given up Hope, sadly We have Both experienced the Loss of Family members who have.

Re evaluate Your situation and give thanks to Your God for whatever riches that You may have collected ,memories and experiences,photographs or keepsakes,it really doesn't matter if they are treasures or not!

Stop feeling sorry for yourselves and your situations you can't go back and do it again,this is not grade school!

Get on with Life...Set Your Goals and work hard to achieve them for Yourself!

Then come back here and tell Us about Your successes !
Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Upheavals in life - in international economies, in world peace, in global climates - can be devastating, but they can also be liberating. The dramatic changes that are too often forced upon us with little or no warning can open just as many doors as they close, but we have to be versatile and imaginative enough to recognize the opportunities they represent and take advantage of them. Change can be terrifying, but to survive - to thrive - we have to have the courage to embrace that change and turn it into something that means something to us.

In 2009 I was forced to close my business because of the economy. A few months later my wife was unceremoniously "packaged out" of her six-figure job after 30 years of climbing corporate ladders. Since then I have insisted that she stay retired - she's worked long and hard enough - but one of us had to get some kind of job if only for the healthcare benefits. After everything we'd been through, I promised myself that I was never going to work for a living again; I was going to work for a life. If I was going to be apart from her for forty hours a week it wasn't going to be for some measly paycheck, it was going to be to make every other hour together worth living.

That shift in perspective changed everything for us. I'm not the least bit ashamed to say that because of it my wife and I are far better off now than we ever were before the economy tanked; not because we have more, but because we're happier with less. Less income divided by less debt equals less stress; less stress multiplied by more quality time together equals more happiness. It's pretty simple mathematics, and it's the foundation of why we're buying an RV: It multiplies all of that exponentially.

I know some of you were forced into the situation you're in against your will, and that sucks. Believe me, I get it, but let me ask you this: After living a little freer and a little simpler, are you really so anxious to go back to the way it was? Was it really better to be working too hard and too long for too little? Do you really miss the house that was so far underwater you were going to drown in its debt for the rest of your life? Maybe it was better for you then than it is now, that's very possible, but it's also possible you're comparing the apples of your old life to the oranges of your new life.

You may have less of some things now than you did before, there's no doubt about that, but you have more of some other things, too. It all comes down to which you value more, and that's a choice - and that's something no one can ever take away from you.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote