Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #1

Starting to shop for first RV

We're just starting to shop for our first RV... don't plan to actually buy one for a few years, but we want to have a plan when we do. One thing I'm finding is just how overwhelming it can be to narrow down the list.

We started out by going to our local RV dealer, and found that we seem to like the class A models over the class C, and we've also ruled out the fifth wheel style because it just doesn't suit our plans.

Next we're planning on going to the Florida RV Show (FRVTA - Tampa Bay RV Show) in November, and probably the big Florida RV show in January.

So here's are a couple of questions for those who have already been through this... How can we make the best use of our time while we're there? Is there a basic checklist of things we should be looking at or for? Any other suggestions?
AndyAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I go to the Tampa Show each Jan and it can be overwhelming. I would suggest you select a few mfg that fit your projected price range and go see them first. Next , be sure to vist the exhibitor buildings to see all the extra toys you'll need. Lastly go in a few 11/2 - 2 million $ coaches just because. Your one day admission is good for two days so you'll be good to go.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look here. They are the largest consignment sellers for RV's in the country. Look at floor plans. See what fits your needs. Look at the different configurations. It will help you when you start looking at RV's.

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Find one that fits you...you need hanging storage for clothes, drawers for undies, cabinet for toiletries, cabinet for linens, pantry for food, cabinets for dishes, pots, and flatware. You also need room for fishing gear, lawn chairs, grill, etc. Now you need to make sure the coach has sufficient cargo carrying capacity that you can load up and not worry about exceeding GVWR.

You will do much better looking for a 2 to 5 year old gently used coach over a new one. The new ones depreciate like mad.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #5

My experience at shows has been the first hour or so is productive. After that the coaches all start running together in my mind.

You're not ready to make your final call yet it sounds like. I'd just go and enjoy myself with the only object being to see what's out there. Most of what you see will be repetitious, but there should be some high points that jump out at you on occasion. You might want to take note of those? Maybe revisit just those prior to your departure? -Al
Old 09-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #6

One suggestion...

Take a digital camera with you. It will help prevent things from running together. Which does happen. Then later, review the pics in your quiet moments at home.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #7

Thanks everyone.

Excellent point Ken, that's exactly why we're shopping now. I plan to retire in 2018, so we're focusing our attention on the new models from 2013 forward. Hopefully when I'm ready to buy we'll have a list of 2 or 3 models that we'll have a list of 2 - 4 models from each year that we like.

Traveling the country is something that we both love to do - our honeymoon was a 30 day trip from TN to CA and we had a blast. That was in a car w/hotels and a fixed timeline. We can't wait to do the same types of trips without those limitations!
AndyAce is offline   Reply With Quote