Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #1

Starting with the last one first?

I keep seeing reference to "starting with the last one first"? People that say they've done that, do you have a crystal ball or a degree in RV'ing?

How does one avoid the decision of pop-up vs. a high end class A for their first RV? Or 28' vs. 42' for that matter?

My experience would be RV needs are an evolution of experience and needs (without even mentioning the required financing!)? I mean, I'd like the wisdom of knowing what the "last one" even looked like starting out, but can't do that with a house, let alone an RV?

Somebody testing the water, to see if they can even stand the RV lifestyle, they see this reference to "starting with the last one first" and I have to wonder if they're expected to be considering a new 42' class A because they can afford one? Call me cheap, practical, whatever, but this flies in the face of good logic from where I come from.

Am I missing something? Is this "starting with the last one first" just wishful thinking? Something said with a wink? Or is there some logic/check list I'm not familiar with out there available for people to use to arrive at what their "last one" looks like?

I think starting with the last one first is a myth. That's me though, -Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
HHg

Hind-sight is always 20/20. I've said that many times, but you are absolutely correct. When we bought our first one, we were so sure it was perfect, and it was for a short while, traded up and lost a decent chunk of change. We thought we would enjoy RVing, but just weren't certain. Well, I'm on my third, and wish I'd have bought it first. Oh well......one thing is for certain.....life brings forth many uncertainties (sp). We deal with them as best we can and darn it, I never did find a crystal ball to help.

Hhg

Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #3

Lets not forget Murphys law, MOHO here as you have said, hind-sight being 20/20 is hitting the nail on the head. I'm one of those that started out small and now in a 37.5 foot class a motor home. It was the same when i wanted a new garage, i thought ok a 2.5 car should be big enough, ha ha ha, later on i ended up with w 36' by 48' by 13' barn with ele(240/120) at every corner, and 120 on every ploe, plus it was heated and 2 overhead doors, one slider and a service door and 6 windows and still in the end was short on space. Bottom line for me and most folks, it's all about space, how much space does one need.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Unionville, Tn.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

The misses and I are starting with a big DP (Entegra) and hopefully that's it. We plan on using it until it dies or I die, whichever comes first. Then if I'm still around we'll make a decision after that. But our motto is "Go Big or Go Home". We decided to go big and make it our home. Once we get the Entegra we're selling our home, living in it full time and working full time until we retire. If I'm spending that kind of cash on it, I'm using it.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We started off looking for a toy hauler. As we were at a show we realized that our truck would not haul the ones that we were looking at so a new truck would have been in order. We looked at gas class A's then Thom drove a DP. There were lots of options. So that night we sat down and had a long talk about what we really wanted to do with the RV and space and well lots of things. We did more research and decided that a DP would be what we should just get for the first. We had heard about the horror stories about slides so had decided no slides. We looked and looked and realized that some just had no room inside because of layout. We took our time and found the one we have in AZ on the way to PPL Motorhomes in TX. We happened to get it for less then what it was worth. And 3 yrs later it is still worth $10k more than what we originally paid for it so even if we traded for a newer one we would not lose out on depreciation.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Every RV we bought was the best one ....... at the time !
Our new 2014 Phaeton is "amazing" they just keep getting better
Old 10-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
For most, the first deciding factor is going to be $. Then of course your situation... Kids still home, still working, retired, health, ect.

7 years ago several friends wanted us to snowbird in Florida with them for 4-6 weeks. Not knowing if we would even like RVing, we bought an old used one, a 29ft C. 3 years later we liked to do this and were now spending months, the old C became way too small. Sold it on consignment in Fl and bought our present rig there. The next few years the entire winter was spent in Fl and our A still serves us well.

This year we are already in Az and will be here until May. We say to ourselves now "who'd a thunk?" Now we're talking selling the S&B and doing full time. If we did this we would certainly upgrade the coach but still stick with gas...maybe.

So the way I look at it, I did the right thing up front. I made no $30 + grand mistakes or lost much of anything. We've RV'd for almost 8 years and and only have $27000 in coaches and I could sell ours in the 18k range. So yeah, if I knew then what I know now, my choices may have changed a bit, but not much. Probably only buying the A first.

I imagine most peoples crystal balls have dead batteries
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For most, the first deciding factor is going to be $. Then of course your situation... Kids still home, still working, retired, health, ect.

7 years ago several friends wanted us to snowbird in Florida with them for 4-6 weeks. Not knowing if we would even like RVing, we bought an old used one, a 29ft C. 3 years later we liked to do this and were now spending months, the old C became way too small. Sold it on consignment in Fl and bought our present rig there. The next few years the entire winter was spent in Fl and our A still serves us well.

This year we are already in Az and will be here until May. We say to ourselves now "who'd a thunk?" Now we're talking selling the S&B and doing full time. If we did this we would certainly upgrade the coach but still stick with gas...maybe.

So the way I look at it, I did the right thing up front. I made no $30 + grand mistakes or lost much of anything. We've RV'd for almost 8 years and and only have $27000 in coaches and I could sell ours in the 18k range. So yeah, if I knew then what I know now, my choices may have changed a bit, but not much. Probably only buying the A first.

I imagine most people's crystal balls have dead batteries
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Think most people begin with a starter, to see if RV'ing is for them, and go from there. Buying your last RV first, would financally probably make the most sence, but I think it rarely happens.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #10

I appreciate all of the above. A year and a half ago we bought a 2007 30-ft 5th wheel with one slide, and a 2003 3/4 ton diesel towing vehicle. It's been a year and a half of learning experiences, which, until our last 4 week journey up through the eastern provinces of Canada (September) was a love-hate relationship with RVing. The worst thing that happened on this trip was a blowout on a 5ver tire, which was no big deal, and, I'm actually finally getting pretty good at backing that sucker in:>) We both are senior citizens, I'm 77+, and find that bumpy highways really irritate us. Would an "A" class make those bumps less bumpy? Thanks, pawjam3, St. Louis, MO.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Depends how much you want to spend. A air susspension DP will likely give you a smoother ride. A gas leaf spring 'A', will probably give you a rougher ride than your pickup.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #12

not last...second

I'd heard the saying as, "buy your second RV first." Meaning, to stretch your budget/comfort level on length, etc. if you could because what you think "will do" will leave you wishing "what if" a lot sooner.

I myself followed that advice. We were all set to purchase a little teardrop when I saw the rPod. It was twice as big and twice as expensive but had a queen bed, dinette, kitchen, and wet bath. We decided to go for it and I'm so glad. I loved camping in that sweet little trailer, but I bet if our family of 3 had gotten a teardrop, not only would we have gotten tired of it very quickly, but I probably would have decided I didn't like camping at all. After all, a teardrop is little more than a metal tent.

I have no idea how someone could hope to buy their LAST RV first. That makes no sense. Lifestyles change, budgets change, family members coming along change.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #13

Wife and I started looking for our first RV last year. Looked at tow behinds and lots of 5th wheels. Wasn't happy with my truck so we decided to look at motorhomes in the 24' range. The more we looked and figured what we really wanted in an RV, the more we realized we should just get what we would really like. We looked for slightly used, so that if we really did make a big mistake the hit would be less to trade and ended up with a 40' class A. So far we really love it and think we made the right choice for our wants and needs, even though there are a couple of things we maybe missed. It's always somewhat of a gamble when deciding.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I tell people this isn't the rig I would have bought if I knew we were going to fulltime but it is the one we had and WAS PAID FOR. Had I got what would have been my ultimate fulltiming rig back then I may not have been able to afford to go fulltime.