Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Although Passport America isn't a membership park arrangement like those which are the subject of this thread, I have always felt it was probably THE greatest value for the RVers dollar. Pays for itself very, very quickly.

This is the first time I've heard it called a waste of money.

Rick
How does it pay for itself if someone only has weekends off and almost none of those CGs honor it then? Or on Holidays? It doesn't pay for people to drive many miles out of their way to a PA CG just for one night to get that 50% discount. For those who only camp one or two nights during the week and these CGs happen to be near them or along their route as they travel... then yes, it would pay.

But then there are those like us who don't stay at CGs for one night. We don't need them. When we travel we stay free at Wal*Mart, Flying -J and other such places.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I've yet to find one CG that gives a 50% discount for more than one or two nights. And those are not weekends or holidays.
Not sure where you've been looking but the OP is from Washington and the first three Passport America parks I checked there ALL offer more than two nights at 50% discount.

Passport America Campgrounds

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi Ran Carr,

I have been a member of Passport America for about 5 years and use them all the time and always get my membership money back. In fact when we went to Ak we used PA Parks with no problems. In fact I have used PA Parks in Pigeon Forge, TN and when the weekend came around if they were not busy they allowed me to pay the PA rate. You have to ask thwe CG when you are there.
True there are a lot of parks that want the extra money on weekends like in Myrtle Beach but you can't blame them, just go to another park.
I agree with all those who use PA parks and for those who don't that is your loss.
I just hope when you are in Walmart of flying J that you don't set up your campsite and mess it up for some of us that do park there overnight only.
Enjoy!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
How does it pay for itself if someone only has weekends off and almost none of those CGs honor it then? Or on Holidays? It doesn't pay for people to drive many miles out of their way to a PA CG just for one night to get that 50% discount. For those who only camp one or two nights during the week and these CGs happen to be near them or along their route as they travel... then yes, it would pay.

But then there are those like us who don't stay at CGs for one night. We don't need them. When we travel we stay free at Wal*Mart, Flying -J and other such places.
You've added qualifiers such as "only has weekends off"... and "drive many miles out of their way to a PA CG just for one night". It may not be practical for folks who only do weekend camping close to home... and folks such as yourself who don't even USE campgrounds for overnight stays.... but for many of us who travel a great deal we have found PA parks to be a great money saving alternative for both overnight stays and for the occasional multi-day stay.

If we use it for only three nights/year it has paid for itself.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You've added qualifiers such as "only has weekends off"... and "drive many miles out of their way to a PA CG just for one night". It may not be practical for folks who only do weekend camping close to home... and folks such as yourself who don't even USE campgrounds for overnight stays.... but for many of us who travel a great deal we have found PA parks to be a great money saving alternative for both overnight stays and for the occasional multi-day stay.

If we use it for only three nights/year it has paid for itself.

Rick
I'd say that anyone that meets YOUR qualifiers of frequent travel and CG for overnight stays would agree. (Sorry, couldn't help it)

Any 'club' that pays for itself in just 3 nights of use is a bargain. The OP was asking about Thousand Trails. That program costs over $700 a year and I don't see them as in the same league as Passport America, Good Sam, Family Motor Coach Assoc., even KOA membership. All of the latter offer a payback in just a limited number of uses. Thousand Trails smells like a money pit you just keep paying into and never get even.

I know there's a big difference in Thousand Trails and their ilk to PA, GS, etc. First cost, then the regions covered. TT is purchased by region. I noticed in the NW region, the only parks on the map were in western Washington state, none in any of the other parts of the NW. The other programs are nationwide.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd say that anyone that meets YOUR qualifiers of frequent travel and CG for overnight stays would agree. (Sorry, couldn't help it)

Any 'club' that pays for itself in just 3 nights of use is a bargain. The OP was asking about Thousand Trails. That program costs over $700 a year and I don't see them as in the same league as Passport America, Good Sam, Family Motor Coach Assoc., even KOA membership. All of the latter offer a payback in just a limited number of uses. Thousand Trails smells like a money pit you just keep paying into and never get even.

I know there's a big difference in Thousand Trails and their ilk to PA, GS, etc. First cost, then the regions covered. TT is purchased by region. I noticed in the NW region, the only parks on the map were in western Washington state, none in any of the other parts of the NW. The other programs are nationwide.
Excellent point on the qualifiers....

You're absolutely right that PA is nothing like the parks which are the subject of this thread. Sorry for taking us

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
RanCarr - We bought into Passport America and stayed 4 days with them all being half price. Paid for our membership in one trip. Not sure where you have been trying to stay with it, but there are parks that give you the half off throughout the US.
HartsRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr

I've yet to find one CG that gives a 50% discount for more than one or two nights. And those are not weekends or holidays. For one night, we'll stay at a Wal*Mart rather than drive miles out of our way for a 50% discount somewhere. But that's just us.... with out Senior Card we get 50% off at all COEs for the entire 2 weeks allowed.
I've using Reserve America with the limited access pass and have found 100% compliance with the 50% off rule. When you combine this with State Parks like California has, wow. I've never been made aware of any differences between the golden age passport and the limited access passport. If you are too young to get one get older, fast.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

If you are going to camp only on the weekends then why would you even consider Thousand Trails? Since you are going to camp only on wejkends then go to a regular campground and pay full price as that what you deserve to do.

Guess you don't intend to take 2 weeks vacation during the year either so maybe you shouldn't camp at all. Or maybe you should just go to state parks with no hookups.

Sorry if that sounds mean but you asked about TT and when people told you about other clubs right away you knocked them down, I don't understand?

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO

Excellent point on the qualifiers....

You're absolutely right that PA is nothing like the parks which are the subject of this thread. Sorry for taking us

Rick
No, no-I'm young and naive. I am curious about all these things. I was not aware of PA and similar things. I'm enjoying all your views.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
The value of a membership is solely a personal decision. If one looks at how we us use our RVs, one would see that our use is slightly different from most everyone else. This difference could be the deciding factor as to the purchase of a membership. One needs to read the T/Cs of the membership and then compare them to the way one uses their RV. If there is a match (I do mean match) then a purchase would have value. If there is the slightest doubt, do not purchase.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One or two nights a year will pay for Passport. 1000 Trails, unless a full timer, is not a good deal. We did it for three years and let it drop. Seems every park we went to, all the nice spaces were taken by annual renters.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 AM   #27

I've been a TT member for six years. I'm a fulltimer RVer. I'm also ROD, RPI, Southern Trails, and Pass Port. when I first joined TT, being full time; it was expensive, but for me a good deal. I got RPI, and ROD affiliation with my TT, and coast to coast locations in private parks. TT's made a lot of changes that haven't been good for it members. But .......if I was just starting out today, you can get almost the same things if you join SouthernTrails, and pick up RPI, and ROD for a lot less money. PassPort is great for just a night or two here or there, but most of the time that's it.