Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #1

State Farm insurance what a joke

I have had State Farm for over 30 years I own a 2012 bighorn fifth wheel
We had a hose inside camper leak and my rv is a total loss why do they get to pay what they want and not the value of the camper
It's clear what the dealer says it's worth and nada value is but they want to pay $10.000 less then appraised value there trying to tell me nothing inside camper fridge stove tvs is covered it's like a enclosed trailer they have been taking there time this is the 6th week of not having a camper and I'm paying for a seasonal site that's empty...I'm trying to be reasonable I've had 5 different adjusters not getting anywhere one says yeah no worries we will pay for everything then they get reassigned to another and start all over again I've had enough.....
n2snow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2snow2 View Post
We had a hose inside camper leak and my rv is a total loss why do they get to pay what they want and not the value of the camper
It's clear what the dealer says it's worth and nada value is but they want to pay $10.000 less then appraised value there trying to tell me nothing inside camper fridge stove tvs is covered it's like a enclosed trailer they have been taking there time this is the 6th week of not having a camper and I'm paying for a seasonal site that's empty...I'm trying to be reasonable I've had 5 different adjusters not getting anywhere one says yeah no worries we will pay for everything then they get reassigned to another and start all over again I've had enough.....
my word of advice, get it fixed, then send the bill to them. Nada values are worthless, dealers set prices of used units on their lots and then report it to the National Dealers Ass. (nada) it is not what units actually sell for. Blue book is no better. State Farm numbers come from actual sales figures. This has been a big conflict between insurance companies and the "vehicle pricing guides" for years. If you are trying to "total it" then get an attorney. Wasting time not following one of these paths.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more thing. In 1998 I paid $50k for my new 26 footer. The retail for it at the time was $65k. today the same moho is $100k. Needless to say my insurance will go up due to the increase in retail price if I had it insured at mrsp. full replacement value. There are 2 ways to insure a rv. One as a home, the 2nd as a vehicle. Needless to say if it is a home then things like water pipe leaks are covered. If it is as a vehicle then a broken pipe and it's damage will not be covered. The premium you pay reflects how you have it insured. You can't expect a $200k moho's insurance not to reflect it's value.

Look at it this way, ins on a 1992 chevy pickup ($2k) is going to be about $350 per year with comp and collision. Insurance on a 2015 chevy pickup ($60k) going to be $1500 per year for comp and collision. As the 2015 truck gets older you'd think the ins would drop drasticly, no, it will drop no more than 20% in 10 years due to the repair costs for the parts. Can you imagine what the insurance costs on a $200k ferari would be? Cheap folks like me drive old stuff!

MIL had both exterior and interior mrsp insurance for the first 15 years, cost her $2400 per year. When she changed it to just exterior insurance, it dropped to $700 per year. The msrp has gone up just under $100k. You get what you pay for.

Many retired folks have been selling their homes and moving into high dollar moho's thinking that they would save a bundle of money on the insurance with auto coverage on them. But then when they expect the insurance company to pay for interior repairs and the insurance company refuses, well, 'nuff said......
Old 10-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #4

Pull out your policy, and sorry - read the fine print!

State Farm should only do what is called out for by your coverage. Now, as a long time customer, it would be nice if they did a bit more too!

I have no idea what the costs re you're talking about. But do to be shy on obtaining a lawyer to assist you in this process.

They, the insurance companies, must make you 'whole' again. Go get several listings of units like yours for sell within the region that you would normally travel while shopping. For me, that is a 1000 mile range. List the unit, and then adjust up or down, based upon your opinion of differences between your unit and the one's you are using as an example of current market conditions on replacements.

And as far as insurance goes. I always pay a bit more, and get 'Agreed Valuation' (Or sometimes they call this different things...). If you feel it will take $100k to replace your unit, including modifications you've made, then insure it for this. This removes the NADA values from the discussion, as you will be paid off at the 'Agreed Valuation' coverage amount.

Does not help you this time around, but it might in the future.

Be polite, be consistent, and be positive when talking with these guys at State Farm. Their job, wrong as it may be, is to get you to settle of as low a value as they can. It's about profits...

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Not sure what state you are in, but the State Insurance Commissioners office in Kentucky and North Carolina have been VERY helpful to us when we started getting jacked around by the insurance company!

Call them, they will generally take an initial on line report of the problem, have you fill out a more in-depth report either on-line or via snail mail. They are generally pretty non committal until they have a chance to hear the other side of the story (as they SHOULD be!) and then if they decide that you have a legitimate issue, they come down like the wrath of God on the insurance company!

You have several issues:

1. They are taking too long (legitimate issue)
2. They are switching you around among numerous different adjusters (legitimate issue).
3. They are not offering you what your trailer is worth (I have no way of knowing if the amount they may be offering is legitimate, but it sounds like it isn't. Get an appraisal by a RV appraiser, print out NADA, present it to the insurance company and cc the State Insurance Commissioner. Then the burden of proof is on the insurance company to justify the value they've assigned.

Good luck, but DEFINITELY get your insurance commissioner's office involved!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #6

Thanks I have no choice in it being a total loss or not they said it is. They have no negotiations on price it is what they say it is and that's it even the dealers in my area agree about the price is too low what they want to pay me is what they want to sell it for at salvage auction they even told me they wanted to get the trailer and title so they could take it to the auction before they even give me a number on payment if there going to pay for exterior of trailer that's what there going to get minus everything inside....
n2snow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Why did you have 5 different adjusters? Is it because you requested "another" adjuster? or do you think it was to State Farm' sway in trying to get you to sign off.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Not sure what state you are in, but the State Insurance Commissioners office in Kentucky and North Carolina have been VERY helpful to us when we started getting jacked around by the insurance company!

Call them, they will generally take an initial on line report of the problem, have you fill out a more in-depth report either on-line or via snail mail. They are generally pretty non committal until they have a chance to hear the other side of the story (as they SHOULD be!) and then if they decide that you have a legitimate issue, they come down like the wrath of God on the insurance company!

You have several issues:

1. They are taking too long (legitimate issue)
2. They are switching you around among numerous different adjusters (legitimate issue).
3. They are not offering you what your trailer is worth (I have no way of knowing if the amount they may be offering is legitimate, but it sounds like it isn't. Get an appraisal by a RV appraiser, print out NADA, present it to the insurance company and cc the State Insurance Commissioner. Then the burden of proof is on the insurance company to justify the value they've assigned.

Good luck, but DEFINITELY get your insurance commissioner's office involved!

This is the right answer. I live in Ohio, and after diddling around with the insurance co, the State contacted them and though I have no idea what they said, they must have put the fear of god into them as it got resolved quickly. I can't say if all states are this helpful, but worth a try. Good luck o you

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My brother had a major house fire with them (State Farm) and it was a total nightmare... The biggest take-way was get it done for the least amount of $$$. cut corners where possible...lie if you have to. In the end he had to get a lawyer...Should have hired one right from the start.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
As a retired Ins. Agent, 2 things you need to know about hiring a Attorney.

1. What will the Attorney charge? Could be 40% or more.
2. When you hire a Attorney, you relinquish your rights to negociate with the Ins. Co. I promise you, the Ins. Co. would much rather deal with the Attorney than having to deal with you. The Attorney is bound by the same laws as the Ins. Co.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Disappointed with State Farm too

I've been disappointed with State Farm too. I have 7 different vehicles insured with them including my Motorhome and have never filed a claim with them as long as I have been insured with them (over 25 years) yet my premium increases have been averaging 12% to 15% per year. I think they figure long time customers are the least likely to notice huge rate increases so they stick it to us?
Old 10-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Have you looked into getting a public adjuster--one not working for SF?

Also, mentioned above, should have gotten "Agreed Valuation" if available--usually what you paid for the unit.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #13

my question: why was it 'totalled'? just because of a water leak...

are YOU saying that is was totalled, or is your INSURER telling you that it was totalled(meaning that the cost to repair is greater than the actual cash value of the unit)?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #14

Quote:
I to have been with stayed farm over thirty years and never had a problem till I had a enclosed car trailer stolen. I Sat with a adjuster over a hour and a half he just kept repeating we do not pay replacement value. He wanted to pay $3000. And ones likee mine use was asking $6000. I got him up to four and settle I am still with them because they have done so well on everything else

Tags
insurance