Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sometimes it's not the campsite but the roads leading to the campsites that cause the restrictions. I have a 30' and some of the loops in the campgrounds are a real bear.....the campsite itself is no problem. Kings Canyon and the campgrounds in Cedar Grove at the bottom of the Canyon are a good example.

Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #16

Ca state parks RV limits.

Califorina State Parks RV Lengths

Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
It seems like a lot of the State and National parks now have a picture link to each of the campsites and show the driveway length. You add your overhang to the length to see if you can fit. Even without a picture, they define the length of the parking area and once again you can add in the overhang.
That's the answer to locating a site. Indiana SP's use ReserveAmerica for reservations. I look at pictures until I find a site that meets what you stated, works every time unless it's a holiday weekend. Of course, when the entire CG is listed as 30' max., I don't even try for that CG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #18

I think the real reason for the limits is the narrow roads, low hanging brush, and short parking pads. Not that you cannot get into them.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
I think you find East Coast park sites are smaller but they all have a few longer sites. The problem is if your a last minute camper as I am, the best and longest sites are GONE. You end up with the tight sites in the woods where the long rigs brush the branches backing in. Also, the level part of the site is 30' or less on a lot of these so you need to pack some planks.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Agreed, it's usually the narrow roads and tree canopy that causes problems. We've encountered a couple of forested State/Federal CGs that won't permit anything above 25-28'. But being St/Fed CGs, they do post these details on their websites. Some have a limited number of 30-35' sites they will fit you into (if available), but they'll usually be away from the more natural portions of the park.

On the flip side; many of the < 25' sites look more like homeless camps - especially after a rain. Since they cater to tents and pop-ups, they tend to attract a more bohemian clientele (not that there's anything wrong with that).
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #21

State & Federal Park Data

Here are links to info I gathered on state & federal parks:
As far as site length, for both state & federal parks, about 50% of the sites are at least 40'.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #22

There are no problems west of the Mississippi finding sites in public parks for big rigs. We use them all the time with our 40' motorhome. We use national and state parks, national forests, county and city parks.

East of the Mississippi we have also stayed at state parks and COE. We would probably not try the national or state forest in the east.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
IC2

Since we now have a significantly longer 5er then in the past, just now looked at the NY State parks. Some that limited you to 30' are now 40'. But the caveat is you might not be able to get one of those longer sites and if you do, may not be able to open slides unless you call the CG directly and check availability.

We 'wandered through a couple provincial parks on our recent trip to Nova Scotia and PEI - ouch. There were some access roads I couldn't put my CCLB truck through without scraping branches. Any larger sites were one or two at the end of a row. I will say that they are nice for those with popups or even up to 20 feet or so
Old 09-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
This Youtube channel has photos of various campsites of lots of state parks all over the country and can be pretty helpful when choosing a site.
https://www.youtube.com/user/campsitephotosdotcom
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
There are no problems west of the Mississippi finding sites in public parks for big rigs. We use them all the time with our 40' motorhome. We use national and state parks, national forests, county and city parks.
twogypsies
We have found quite a few federal campgrounds "west of the Mississippi" with NO RV sites large enough for anything bigger than a pop-up, truck camper or class B, (or longer than a 24' TT).
Those parks where developed/built by the CCC, (Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933 to 1942), and many have never been updated.....(Bonita Canyon Campground at Chirichaua National Monument in AZ is only one example).
Mel
'96 Safari, 35'
Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #26

No, a big rig won't fit in Chirichuaua Nat'l Monument and not EVERY public park will be big enough. However, there are MANY that a 40' will fit.

We've stayed in ALL of the Arizona state parks, forest service campgrounds in the Flagstaff area, Prescott area, Greer area and many others in Arizona. We've stayed in all of the Maricopa Country Parks in the greater Phoenix area along with Gilbert Ray in Tucson Mtn. Park.

...and that's just Arizona. The same is true for Utah, Colorado, California (national forests, not state parks), Idaho, Nevada, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Washington and all of the plains states. We've traveled to Alaska through Canada and the Yukon and stayed 95% of the time in public parks or boondocking spots. There are some gorgeous Provincial Parks in Canada and the Yukon. We've stayed in two different campgrounds in Denali Nat'l Park.

...and also IN Yellowstone Nat'l Park, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, Canyonlands Needles and tons of state parks and national forests in those areas, including boondocking.

I have such an extensive list of places where a 40' rig will fit throughout the country that I should consider selling it! All I can say is do research before you go and you'll find a spot.

There is absolutely no problem with a big rig in the West!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
There is absolutely no problem with a big rig in the West!
twogypsies
That is simply not true.
The truth is:
There is absolutely no problem with a big rig in campgrounds where the sites are large enough for big rigs.
Mel
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
twogypsies
That is simply not true.
The truth is:
There is absolutely no problem with a big rig in campgrounds where the sites are large enough for big rigs.
Mel
I sure wish that was the case. I've seen many sites long enough for a Big Rig, but they have a tree or other obstruction placed such that it would be impossible to actually get into the site. I've also been in CGs where the turning radius on some of the streets are so tight that you can only make the turn if some of the sites in the turn are unoccupied.

The bottom line is that you sometimes never know until you get there. I use RVParkReviews.com and Google earth to look at suspect CGs before committing to them. I also always ask if they're had other buses in their CG. Then there are the marketing reps for the CGs that say they are Big Rig friendly, when they don't really know what a Big Rig is.

With the shortage of real Big Rig friendly parks I can say I spent 10 months travelling from FL to AK and didn't spend a single night in WalMart parking lot because I couldn't find an adequate site. That doesn't mean I took the site assigned, but was always able to find an open site I could squeeze into. If I can get in with a 45-footer with an extremely long wheel base and being 13' tall, anyone should be able to.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
national