Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
State Sales Tax

I live in Arkansas and we have to pay full sales tax on any vehicle we bring into the state, thus I hate the thought of paying sales tax, say in Texas, and then turn around and pay same tax here in Ark. Do any states not have sales tax or allow non residents to purchase their RV and then pay their home state taxes.

tom076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't most states have the option, for out-of-state purchasers, to not pay the local tax, or pay the tax for your home of record?

Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most make you pay the instate tax, then there is an exemption for what you paid when you register in your home state. But that depends on the laws of your home state. Usually, if the tax where you buy is higher than your home state you won't get a refund. Some states allow you to take out of state delivery if you're and out of state resident.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
We bought our rig at MHSRV in Alvarado, TX. We live in Georgia. At the purchase we were given the paperwork to take to the tax assessor office in our county here in Georgia & make the tax payment.
Traveling with DH, our 3 cats, Katrina, Pas & Missi
2014 Georgetown 378
the toad, 2014 Jeep Patriot
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Out of state buyers usually have to pay the sales taxes in their home district/state.

If you're concerned about taxation, you should be up in the air about that Arkansas ad valorem tax due in October. You can sell a vehicle or RV January 2nd, and get hit with a big tax bill a year and 10 months later. And you'd have to pay it or the county will not issue any license plates to you for your automobiles.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
If you buy something in TX, you can get a trip permit so you can remove it from TX and get it to your home state and pay tax there.

If you pay tax in TX, then your home state should give you credit for the tax you paid. If you paid less in TX, then you will owe more to the home state. If you paid more in TX than is required by your home state, TX thanks you and the home state won't collect anything.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
We brought our 5er in Kansas, we had to sign an affidavit that we were taking it out of state to register. We had to have the sales contract along with the title to pay our home state sales/use tax and then and only then could we title and tag it.
'09' F350 CC DRW B&W Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I bought new in NY. I paid no NY sales tax. 8 months later I titled in PA and paid PA's 6% sales tax.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA FMCA 335149 W3TLN
2005 Suncruiser 38R W24, no chassis mods needed 2013 Honda Accord EX-L 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
I live in Calif. bought my last DP in Az took delivery in NV and registered the coach in MT therefore paid no sales tax. According to Ca law you have to keep the DP out of state for one year to avoid paying sales tax. Check with your state maybe they have a similar law.
mlgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Though we pay a hefty sales tax here in Washington, we pay no state income tax, which is a trade off I can easily live with. Most states have both taxes. We Washingtonians feel very sorry for you!

Oh, and in Oregon, right across the Columbia River, there's no sales tax at all. Ain't this a great country to be live'n in!

"Sure, it's my patriotic duty to pay tax, but I don't feel any less patriotic if I've figured out a way to pay less tax."
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Thor Owners Club
When you sell your vehicle you have to make sure your assessors office is update on your assessed vehicles, otherwise you could get hit with a tax on that vehicle.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #12
Appalachian Campers
Thought I had hit a home run on the last coach we bought. Bought it in SC and they said the maximum tax on the coach was $600. That was great. When I went to register it in my home county I had to pay 7.5 percent (minus the $600 ) that I had paid in Georgia. In the old days you might could slip around some of these taxes, but with computers now, they will get you coming and going.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM   #13
Since they recently changed the tax law in GA, I have found out I paid a one time tax when I bought my MH, but if I sell it (or maybe give it) to someone they have to pay the tax again based on current value of the vehicle. So the thousands I paid just go in someone's pocket and the new owner gets to pay for the same vehicle again? If I had kept it, the state would have only collected once. Under the old law, I would have paid a small (relatively) tax each year and the new owner would have also paid each year. I doubt i get a refund whether I own it one year or twenty years.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
NJ collects sales tax when registering an out of state purchase. PA will not collect the tax on the sale to NJ purchaser

Dacar is offline   Reply With Quote