Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
State speed limits for MH

I have searched the internet for the speed limits in each state for a MH. Some sites say follow the limit for trucks, others say a MH is not a truck and should follow the car limits. I usually drive at 60 mph., so I should have no problems, but I have heard that at least two states, Illinois and Ohio, have posted speeds of 55. Now granted that going 60 in a 55 should not get you stopped, but why ask for trouble.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In WA if you're not towing anything then it's the car speed, if towing anything, even a bare dolly, it's the truck speed. There are also some areas where it's illegal to be in the fast lane of you're towing anything or your GVWR is over 10,000#'s. Those area's are marked by signs but it's easy to miss them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
A good rule of thumb is to obey the truck regs. And stay out of the passing lane on
freeways
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
I think Mr_D's reply would also meet the California requirements.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Illinois removed the differential speed limit recently. It's all 65 now.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are driving a 20,000 pound plus house, I consider it a truck

But the fact is, in most states the speed limit for cars now days is 70MPH and most motorhomes the design speed is 55-60. Very few states will ticket a vehicle doing 60 on the freeway. (Even if it's a 55 zone) but once you top 60 you WILL BE FINED.. If not by the cops, then by the fuel pump.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I usually run 62 on the interstate unless I come up on some slow poke in the right lane then I may do up to 70 to get around. My MH just feels good at 62.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, I will admit I once went over 80.. (Down a long slight grade, with a 100mph Tail wind, no other traffic and nothing at all touching any pedal near my feet) I don't like the way it handles over 70mph.. And as I said before, over 60 I pay for it at the pump. IN fact 60 is going to cost me a couple tenths of a MPG. OVER 60 starts costing full M's
Old 03-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In WA if you're not towing anything then it's the car speed, if towing anything, even a bare dolly, it's the truck speed. There are also some areas where it's illegal to be in the fast lane of you're towing anything or your GVWR is over 10,000#'s. Those area's are marked by signs but it's easy to miss them.
In WA I believe that any vehicle over 10,000 lbs (which includes many RVs) is limited to a maximum 60mph speed limit.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #10

Once again, motor homes do not seem to be consistantly defined (just like the driver's license regulations). Because my MH has 8 positions with seat belts, I consider it a passenger vehicle rather than a truck. I may have to argue that with a judge someday because I slingshot (speed up going downhill) for better fuel mileage.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I think Mr_D's reply would also meet the California requirements.
In California trucks with 3 or more axles or any vehicle towing must use the truck speed limit and also the right lane unless passing. Your at the mercy of the CHP officer if he wants to stop you if you have a tag axle. if you are towing keep it at 56-57 if you don't want to get stopped.

California Driver Handbook - Laws/Rules of the Road
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOHOO, what a ride!"
HohoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #12

Ohio is still 55, I know this because I got a ticket there in 2001 and they are still trying to get me to pay it. ( another story ) I drive our MH at what I feel safe at under the current conditions but never past 65 for a lot or reasons. It is not the speed that worries me I am a former Indy car driver, it's stopping 30,000 pounds plus a toad, thats the problem.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
In WA I believe that any vehicle over 10,000 lbs (which includes many RVs) is limited to a maximum 60mph speed limit.
Thanks for the correction! I do find that I was wrong in my original post and it is as above!

So for over 20 years I've been speeding and not one ticket in a motorhome to show for it.

RCW 46.61.410:

Quote:
(2) The maximum speed limit for vehicles over ten thousand pounds gross weight and vehicles in combination except auto stages shall not exceed sixty miles per hour and may be established at a lower limit by the secretary as provided in RCW 46.61.405.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I usually set my cruise control at 55 since I'm towing a car (I'm in California) and keep to the right lane unless I'm passing some yahoo that thinks you're supposed to merge at 45 and then speed up, or start slowing down a mile before their exit

Out of state I may bump it up to 58 but much higher and my mileage drops significantly. We were on I10 heading to Tucson last week and had an Arizona Highway Patrol officer come up behind us at one point. He got about 3 or 4 car lengths back and stayed there for a couple of miles, then dropped back about 1/4 mile for about 10 miles, then made a U-turn across the center divide and headed back west. If he had a problem with me doing 58 mph in a 75 mph zone I'm sure he would have pulled me over and said something.