Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #1

States which require RVs to go through weigh station ?

Just wondering how many states require RVs to enter open weigh stations ? Has anyone compiled a list by any chance ?
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
None!

State weigh stations are for COMMERCIAL vehicles. If a person is transporting a RV then they are commercial and required to stop but privately owned RVs are not.

Enjoy your driving - Richard
Old 12-30-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I’ve never been required in all 49 States and all 10 Canadian Provinces.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't try it here in California.....tends to make CHP angry. They have loud speakers that tell you to get out.

Don't ask how I know this....
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
PKI

It appears there are states that do require entry based on the laws as written, but it also appears that the requirement is differentially applied. Older and more experienced LEOs assume it is incorectly written. The younger newer officers assume it is written the way it is to enforce the need to inspect commercial RV operation like delivery and business use of the coach. So, best advice may well be to call the state and get the name of the person who gave you the information.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I live relatively close to a factory for a couple brands and have occasionally seen the weigh station sign telling me to pull in since I happen to have that brand of trailer. I ignore this sign and as I pull past they clearly see that I am not displaying any D.O.T. numbers/business signs that transporters are required to display on their doors so they ignore me. They are only interested in commercial transports and they see many each day as the factories send them to dealers.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:17 AM   #7

'GIT-----GO ON GIT'!

Weigh Station........Commercial Enterprise NOT privately owned 'recreational vehicles'

So the list is easy to compile........NONE
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It appears there are states that do require entry based on the laws as written, but it also appears that the requirement is differentially applied. Older and more experienced LEOs assume it is incorectly written. The younger newer officers assume it is written the way it is to enforce the need to inspect commercial RV operation like delivery and business use of the coach. So, best advice may well be to call the state and get the name of the person who gave you the information.

Got a LINK to ANY?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The state of Maryland requires all vehicles greater than 10k lbs to stop and if they aren't busy they will come after you. http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/newMDOT...er/FAQ.html#Q8
Old 12-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #10

Nope. They don't want you in there, because you are driving a private, non-commercial vehicle.

We pull into the parking lot behind a weigh station with a MH to change a flat tire on our dirt bike trailer, and an officer walked out there to see what we were up to, and to make sure we knew to move along once we were done with the tire. She also took a dim view of the fact that one of our party walked down the hill to urinate in the bushes...
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #11

In ca get caught doing that and you get a pervert charge on your head.
ca does want ALL rental trucks to stop at open scales, ( they are commercial trucks). Sometimes the scales only want the buses to stop. but never seen a privet rv required to stop.
have heard some states put out a sign ALL over X weight must stop. but posters have said mixed about that.

Legally privet rvs, are not required to stop, nore wanted in the scale areas. the dot officers fear what they do not know. ( No. not a bash. just ask any Leo about the “avg” traffic stop). it is sad the men, and lady’s in (blue?. Lots of black uniforms showing up) have to worry about peps they stop.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #12

A lot of states say all trucks, and vehicles pulling trailers. So yes, that lets RV's slide, unless you have a trailer. Many have claimed that they do not want campers either. But if you are pulling a flatbed, with your 2 and 4 wheeled toys on it, may be a different story. But dragging that lathe you just bought off Craigs list, a load of wood that you just picked up from Lowes, to build that shed you want, Even all your kids furniture, because you are helping them move. They all may be personal use, but not recreational, be prepared. Even dragging that car you built to the race track, has been ruled as commercial.

Scales are one of those areas where you can fly past them 100 times, and never have an issue, but that 101st, could be the day things are slow, and that new police officer decides to enforce the laws as written.

You may be able to talk them out of a ticket for not stopping. But while they have you stopped, do you have everything required to pull a trailer in that state? Fire extinguisher within easy access? Road flares? Trailer brakes on all axles? Is the load secured properly? correct number of tie downs for each piece of equipment? Covered?
Old 12-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #13

I have been driving motorhomes in Maryland for over 30 years and not once pulled into a weigh station. Never a question.
Old 12-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #14

I came by one here in Florida today, and the sign told me to pass on by. First time I ever saw that and there wasn't a truck in sight.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs