RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 11:29 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1 View Post
"Thank you for your email and for contacting the Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA). Financed solely by toll revenue, the MDTA is an independent State agency that finances, owns, operates and maintains the State's eight toll facilities.

We appreciate your bringing this matter to our attention. All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce may be subject to a safety inspection.

Thank you again for your email, and please let us know if we may assist you further.
Kerry Brandt
Division of Communications"

Just FYI
Thanks that explains a lot, this is from/ for state toll road roads.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
Thats right, but if they see, or think they see a safety problem, they can pull any one around back. I know at least one of theirs that has thermal cameras, to look for wheel bearing, and brake issues. It would be real easy for them to say one of the wheels looks like the brake is not working, the trailer wheels are not as hot, indicating the brakes are not operating. It would be a huge safety, and possibly liability issue if they did not pull such a vehicle around to check, and get the issues fixed.

They have more tricks in their play book, then one could imagine.

Just like with trucks, when the line gets to a certain point, the sign changes to closed, and the rest of the trucks get a free fly by, until the line goes down, then it switches back. Everyday business for them.

Would that be like sitting on an entrance ramp to the interstate then waiting for a big group of trucks come by, then starting off expecting that group to fill up the ramp to the scale?

Not that I would do anything like that..

Old 01-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #213

Well I stand corrected and appreciate that we are dealing with facts finally.

But as one who has had my own trucks (commercial vehicles) traveling frequently in MD and owning property in Oxford MD and storing and driving my rv through there. I have never stopped while in my personal vehicle.

I also e mailed the same gentleman to give me the entire list of applicable statutes. After reading those it is clear there is a huge gap in what the law says and what the reality of enforcement actually is.

My guess is that in writing this law, including all vehicles was a concession to some interest group or other while the enforcement people are uninterested in RV's and ignore them.

I will continue to never stop at a MD weigh station with my RV.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:52 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
My guess is that in writing this law, including all vehicles was a concession to some interest group or other while the enforcement people are uninterested in RV's and ignore them.
Or maybe the LEOs understand that it is very unlikely that a RV will be over any legal limits.
Back if the '80s another guy and I both had a few trucks working in the same area. When the portables showed up, my trucks where much more likely than his to be stopped, and I understood it. He knew how much each of his trucks would scale, and if any more that was on the truck the driver did not get paid for the extra weight. I hired experienced drivers to run my old trucks. My hands knew that I would pay 70% of their first 3 overloads, if they did not get a tarp ticket or moving violation at the same time. Every time I had a open truck I got calls from his drivers...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #215

Quote:
Well I stand corrected and appreciate that we are dealing with facts finally.

But as one who has had my own trucks (commercial vehicles) traveling frequently in MD and owning property in Oxford MD and storing and driving my rv through there. I have never stopped while in my personal vehicle.

I also e mailed the same gentleman to give me the entire list of applicable statutes. After reading those it is clear there is a huge gap in what the law says and what the reality of enforcement actually is.

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #216

Quote:
My guess, is that the laws go back to the 60's, and 70's, when RV's, and campers were not common like they are now. Also, the big majority of pickups were for work, and not for pulling campers.

RV's generally do not change weight much, so are not as likely to be over weight. (But I can tell you of a bus that was converted to an RV, but had teh capability to load 4, 4 or 5 foot high pallets in the back. He and his wife, ran high priority freight all across the country, and flew past all the scales. Was strange to see a motorhome backed into a loading dock). But pickups pulling trailers are more likely to be over weight.

Quote:

I would stay away from the Connawingo dam on Rt 1.

Actually, look at all the rules for the state, and non interstate roads in MD. I got busted (got away with a warning) for a 45 foot trailer on Md route 100, near Elkridge, and it is built the same as the interstates, just a state road. I had been running it many times a week, for years. I was not taking the shortest route to the nearest interstate. I went the long way for a few months, then went back to taking 100 north to US29, to I70, tot he belt way, to I83, and out of MD, knowing full well that if I got caught again, it was a big fine, since they would have on record that I was warned.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superburban View Post
RV's generally do not change weight much, so are not as likely to be over weight. (But I can tell you of a bus that was converted to an RV, but had teh capability to load 4, 4 or 5 foot high pallets in the back. He and his wife, ran high priority freight all across the country, and flew past all the scales. Was strange to see a motorhome backed into a loading dock).
I have seen a Sprinter, the back 8 ft or so for freight. In the late '70s Arkansas let school buses run longer than a straight truck. Tyson docks unloaded a lot of crates of live chickens.

Quote:
But pickups pulling trailers are more likely to be over weight.
But to be sure most pickups or trailers where legally overloaded weight watcher would need to read the tire sidewall.
And while you are looking at what the laws are off the interstate, check the width limit....
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
So it looks like one state, Maryland, it is required for any vehicle including motorhomes to stop at the scales. The above post includes two links but they are third party websites. I can find nothing on the NJ.gov website regarding information about weigh stations and who is required to stop. Perhaps I missed it.

I think MD only requires Commercial vehicles over 10k to go though the scales. Been driving In MD for 20+ years and have never seen an RV of any kind in the weigh stations. I noticed a similar sign in VA once but have never seen one in there either. That being said MD has a bunch of crazy laws.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #219

TBOS, If you will take the time to read, I emailed the Maryland DOT and another contacted the Md Toll bunch. Both us them stated that the statutes require that ALL VEHICLES OVER 10K TO ENTER THE SCALES with a few exceptions, and RVs are not one of them.

Now if they want to start chasing down RVs for violations, that is a different story.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post

TBOS, If you will take the time to read, I emailed the Maryland DOT and another contacted the Md Toll bunch. Both us them stated that the statutes require that ALL VEHICLES OVER 10K TO ENTER THE SCALES with a few exceptions, and RVs are not one of them.

Now if they want to start chasing down RVs for violations, that is a different story.

I did read what you posted but noticed it was all listed under the commercial truck section. As such I guess I was being hopeful it really didnít apply. I hope they donít start stopping all of the RVers. That would really be a pain. I was over 10K gross combined when I had a 2013 GMC crew cab pulling a Passport 238ML that didnít have a slide.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #221
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
People......let it go.....no one has ever been stopped! It's amazing how hard some of you are trying to prove that it MIGHT happen. There are just some laws that it's agreed that they don't enforce because there was an error when the law was first written. In criminal law, it's called Case Law, where the law is adjusted to meet it's INTENT.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #222

Don, the question went from a general weigh station question to the focus on the Maryland sign, and it's intent. Had Md, wanted to exempt RVs, they would have. Period. The case law that you speak of does not exist, so then it goes back to actual case law that says that it is not a question of what a reasonable officer would do, but what a reasonable officer could do. This doesn't address the Maryland requirement to stop at the scales, but does address that it COULD be done.

For those that feel strongly that the Maryland statute should be changed, contact the RV Association, FMCA, Escapees, probably a MAryland RV dealers association, your coach manufacturer, and if you are a Md. resident then contact your elected representatives.

Don, you state that nobody has ever been stopped. Can you prove it, and how?
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #223

Newmar Owners Club
I have a family member who is a MD State Trooper and has been for 20 years and he has NEVER been instructed to stop RVs for bypassing MD scales. “The intent is to weigh commercial vehicles, for HIRE.” He also said he knows of no violations being issued for failure to stop.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #224

Normally itís for dot license vehicles , commercial trucks not motorhomes.

JMyers57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs