Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #85

Any additional lettering/signage turns a vehicle into a commercial vehicle my husband was told by a police officer. He had his initials on his van.
Bonniee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #86

Not wanting to come across as harsh but the ignorance of some make it hard not to be.

Those weigh stations are federally regulated for commercial traffic, not state regulated.

Your happy camper ass has no business congesting their routine.

You really don't want to be part of the traffic that has to go into weigh stations.

Just because you THINK what you drive is large stop playing truck driver, you are not.
Greg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #87

I have owned and driven RVs motorhomes since 1986. I purchased my first motorhome that year. We have driven through all 49 States and Canada many times.
I have never pulled in a weight station in any of the states and never been asked to with the RV.
I rented a 24-foot van one time to move some furniture going through Tennessee I pulled in the weight station they asked me why they said only thing that needs to come in is commercial vehicles.

'2006 Mercury Grand Marquis (toad)
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #88

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by woltz View Post
The state of Maryland requires all vehicles greater than 10k lbs to stop and if they aren't busy they will come after you. Frequently_Asked_Questions
I have driven through Maryland countless times in my 13 ton motorhome on Interstate highways, state highways and back roads with and without a car in tow and have NEVER been required to stop at a weigh station.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #89

X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:46 PM   #90

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Weigh Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I came by one here in Florida today, and the sign told me to pass on by. First time I ever saw that and there wasn't a truck in sight.
I had exactly the same experience on New Year's Day in Florida. A sign lit up telling me to keep going and not stop.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #91

Quote:
The state of Maryland requires all vehicles greater than 10k lbs to stop and if they aren't busy they will come after you. Frequently_Asked_Questions
If you are referring to the section below...a motor coach is a commercial bus hauling passengers...not a motor home.

10. Does a motor coach with passengers need to go through the scales?

Yes because the bus is required to be weighed. The vehicle will not undergo a safety inspection because passengers are on board.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #92

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
States which require RVs to go through weigh station ?

Many states have weigh in motion the truck stop or go ahead sign computer assumes you are a commercial truck since you are that heavy! since they have a close number on your weight you get the “go ahead” or not on the sign in many locations. They haven’t a clue if your a commercial truck or rv .. just your axle weight and it’s pretty accurate even at 60-70

As a 30 year commercial driver I cringe a little from habit as I drive by ALL weight stations even the “truck must stop” lighted sign but in 42 states of RVing I’ve never been stopped. It helps that As a driver I listened to all the CB trash talk from the truckers about those ... RVers that did pull in. And scale masters on the loudspeaker saying get moving .
Simple .. just pull through .. go ahead , soon you’ll be educated( and the bored truckers fired up and entertained)
Old 01-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #93
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just an FYI, any vehicle over 26,001 pounds is, by Federal law, a commercial vehicle no matter how you look at it

I know Wiki is not the bible, but I have researched this on Federal DOT sites and it really does apply. So do you research. State by state has the right to enforce Federal laws to their limit and can even add more stringent requirements.

Check out Wiki: "Exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore, is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned. A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always considered commercial"

Or this statement on another site:
"
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) definitions section, a CMV is defined as a motor vehicle that:
“… has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater.” 49 CFR § 383.5(1)."

I just don't have the time to research this again.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #94

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
If you scroll up a bit, you will find that the context around this is commercial vehicles, so while the bare letter of the law may cover RVs, the spirit of it almost certainly does not.
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #95

Key point

Quote:
“Motor coaches carrying passengers” refers to coaches carrying passengers for hire; think Greyhound.
norrirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #96

Some states require you to stop if you are towing a water craft. But it is to inspect the water craft not the RV.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #97

Quote:

You quote (link) is from the section of state law that is concerned with MOTOR CARRIERS otherwise known as commercial vehicles.

What this quote is addressing is that only Commercial vehicles of 10,000 lbs or more are required to cross the scales. CMV's of less than that weight do not have to do so.

It does NOT, I repeat NOT apply to privately owned recreational vehicles.
BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Just an FYI, any vehicle over 26,001 pounds is, by Federal law, a commercial vehicle no matter how you look at it

I know Wiki is not the bible, but I have researched this on Federal DOT sites and it really does apply. So do you research. State by state has the right to enforce Federal laws to their limit and can even add more stringent requirements.

Check out Wiki: "Exceeds a certain weight or class and therefore, is "classified" as commercial even though it may not be commercially used or commercially owned. A weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more is always considered commercial"

Or this statement on another site:
"
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) definitions section, a CMV is defined as a motor vehicle that:
“… has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater.” 49 CFR § 383.5(1)."

I just don't have the time to research this again.

The key that is missed here is that the FMCSR or FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS are written to apply to MOTOR CARRIERS (Commercial Vehicles.) They do not apply to private vehicles. There are sections for school buses and passenger buses, hours of service rules and every other requirement concerning the operation of commercial vehicles.

No more research is needed.

BTFT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs