Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #99

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
If you scroll up a bit, you will find that the context around this is commercial vehicles, so while the bare letter of the law may cover RVs, the spirit of it almost certainly does not.
Scroll or not the MD State Troopers told me everyone driving anything 10k lbs or greater are required to stop, I do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #100

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
You quote (link) is from the section of state law that is concerned with MOTOR CARRIERS otherwise known as commercial vehicles.

What this quote is addressing is that only Commercial vehicles of 10,000 lbs or more are required to cross the scales. CMV's of less than that weight do not have to do so.

It does NOT, I repeat NOT apply to privately owned recreational vehicles.
Maybe it is not clear on the web but the MD State Troopers told me everyone driving anything 10k lbs or greater are required to stop, I do.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:43 PM   #101

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrirn View Post
“Motor coaches carrying passengers” refers to coaches carrying passengers for hire; think Greyhound.
Maybe it is not clear on the web but the MD State Troopers told me everyone driving anything 10k lbs or greater are required to stop, I do.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:44 PM   #102

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
B.S.

Sudsy
Old 01-06-2019, 05:46 PM   #103

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisedge View Post
I have driven through Maryland countless times in my 13 ton motorhome on Interstate highways, state highways and back roads with and without a car in tow and have NEVER been required to stop at a weigh station.
Maybe it is not clear on the web but the MD State Troopers told me everyone driving anything 10k lbs or greater are required to stop, I used to fly by but then the troopers opened my eyes, now I stop.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #104
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
<div align=&quot;left&quot;>The key that is missed here is that the FMCSR or FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS are written to apply to MOTOR CARRIERS (Commercial Vehicles.) They do not apply to private vehicles. There are sections for school buses and passenger buses, hours of service rules and every other requirement concerning the operation of commercial vehicles. No more research is needed.
If the vehicle is over 26,001 pounds it is a commercial vehicle. I'm from Texas and by no means want to open the license requirements but tak a look at the Texas CDL-2 Form Read it carefully and then maybe you would want to research it. :-) Read the certification part that states the operator will be operating a commercial vehicle but is exempt from a CDL license. If over 26,001 pounds ut us a commercial vehicle until the Feds change the law.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by woltz View Post
The state of Maryland requires all vehicles greater than 10k lbs to stop and if they aren't busy they will come after you. Frequently_Asked_Questions
Untrue.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg12 View Post
Not wanting to come across as harsh but the ignorance of some make it hard not to be.

Those weigh stations are federally regulated for commercial traffic, not state regulated.
Do we want to discuss ignorance? I have been issued and paid tickets in more than a few states. I also have had my rig check by feds, mostly to be sure anybody in the truck belonged in country, and was in truck willingly, but also checking my fuel. The feds have also audited my paperwork in the office of carriers I was leased to.
But, never, not once, did I have to report to a federal court for any ticket I got at a weigh station or portable scale/roadside safety check. Now the state must report violations to feds, and on the interstates the state laws match fed, but a driver will pay fines to state. A scale not on interstate, many states have a different set of regulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I came by one here in Florida today, and the sign told me to pass on by. First time I ever saw that and there wasn't a truck in sight.
I wonder what happens when I heavy MH, that is running close to the 22,000 legal limit on a axle is red lighted?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brews Cruise View Post
This brings to mind the Agricultural Stations that are in some locations as you enter another state. I wonder if any states require private RVs to stop at these.
CA is only one I know.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
It appears there are states that do require entry based on the laws as written, but it also appears that the requirement is differentially applied. Older and more experienced LEOs assume it is incorectly written. The younger newer officers assume it is written the way it is to enforce the need to inspect commercial RV operation like delivery and business use of the coach. So, best advice may well be to call the state and get the name of the person who gave you the information.
Good advice but don't just get the name, have them email you since if it isn't written somewhere id didn't happen

Clay
huskydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #109

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
I wonder what happens when I heavy MH, that is running close to the 22,000 legal limit on a axle is red lighted?

I get "Red LIghted" all the time at scales since my rear axle weighs in at 21,480 pounds (Motorhome are allowed 24,000) and so far I have not pulled in. The officers in the scale house will be looking out the window as you pass.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #110

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
The state of Maryland requires all vehicles greater than 10k lbs to stop and if they aren't busy they will come after you. Frequently_Asked_Questions

That entire info pertains to commercial vehicles.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 PM   #111

Quote:

I think this page only apples to commercial vehicles. Admittedly that line doesn't specify commercial, but everything else on the page does, so it looks like that line was just poorly written. My current trailer weighs 26k+ and I have never had to stop at one.
CowboyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #112

Quote:

If anybody wants to try and stop at a MD scale, please report back on your experience. I bet they will tell you to not do that again!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs