Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 08:54 PM   #15

Starting to learn how to find old posts so thats helping. And someone gave me a head up on how to use a hotspot for wifi
67BeaumontSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #16

Gulf Streamers Club
Stealth WiFi seems to be an Alberta, CA product.
Stealth Wi-Fi - Portable Wi-Fi Units — Alberta

It uses LTE protocol.

It seems expensive, but if in business or an extreme need to be connected, it might be worth it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:45 PM   #17

Red face We use one.

I have a hot spot from U S cellular. you just turn it on and if you have cell phone signal you have wifi for up to 3 devices. darned if I can remember how many feet away they can be exactly, but the hot spot does not have to be next to whatever you want to use the wifi on. purchase price was $50.00. You pick how many gigs a month you want and (of course)the more gigs, the more you pay each month. The only draw back I have found is that you have to check the coverage area for whatever company you decide to use. I am good in the midewest, but if we go too far west, this company considers it roaming so I have to watch my usage. check companys to see who has what will work the best for you, It is not added to your cell phone, but billed seperately. If you do not want movies or business use, its pretty afforable,
Hope that this helps you.
There are also vids on you tube where people will tell you how they stay connected, while on the road.
ozone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Verizon internet hot spot thru FMCA is no charge for device and $50 per month "unlimited", may throttle after 25 GB.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:25 PM   #19

Thank you for all the suggestions
67BeaumontSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
You will most likely want cell service on the road too. My cell with the Verizon network has unlimited data for $40 a month. By the time I add tax's and insurance it comes to right around $60. Can run several computers on it. Go down near the bottom and find the tech section, lots of discussion there on the subject of internet connection, cost, service and hardware. Mine is through Comcast/Xfinity.

LEN
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
The Stealth Wifi service is in Alberta, CA. So is the OP. Stealth Wifi is a cell tower based system. Verizon charges $5 a day to use in Canada with their TravelPass feature. Stealth would only be available where cell service is available as far as I can determine.

Not sure what Verizon, US Cellular, or other U.S. based systems has to do with a Canadian based question. I've searched for a coverage map of the Stealth Wifi system, it might be my location in the states but I find very little information except the hype I've already quoted.

Before putting out the money for the equipment I'd want a coverage map and compare it to where I wanted to travel. I'd also want to see reviews, which at this time my searches keep coming up with reviews of a Stealth Wifi Cam, not a data service.

As to superfluous info, when I travel in Australia I buy a sim card for my Verizon iPhone and get a month's worth of coverage for about $30 AU from Optus.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #22

67BeaumontSD,
Whatever you do, read carefully what you sign up for--terms/length of obligation/cost to terminate if you don't like it.
Here in the US, I use wifi in parks or ATT hotspots on cell phones/ipads. Usually get along pretty good on 25GB/month for all devices.
Not sure how anything works in CA, but when I traveled thru on 2 trips to AK, there were lots of trip-up terms in my ATT service to be wary of.
Good Luck on this, staying in contact very important.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 PM   #23

1:10 min., but almost 30 sec. intro. Dramatic music, but short on details. "80% faster" than what? "As low as $10 a month" for how much data? Coverage area? What's 'stealth' about it? Too many questions, not enough details to interest me.

Sounds kinda like an ATT commercial. All blow and no go.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi