Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Steering Stabilizers

I am curious about those with experience after installation of one of these. I know that Blue OX Trucenter makes one as do others.
I have a 2012 MH with just 3000 miles on it. The steering is tight. The tires are new(only 3000 miles) and the MH drives like a big Caddlac! That is until you get a gusty side wind of 30 or so. Then the only way to feel comfortable driving this thing is to drop the speed and hold on tight! That is the nature of driving a high profile vehicle, and I have driven many of them, having retired from driving 18 wheelers.
So----- my question is---- do those things really help? If they do help what is the negative side of it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I had the Safe T Plus installed when my 40DP had 6000 miles on it and I've just loved it ever since. However, I had handling issues you don't seem to have. My rig "wandered" all over the place and I couldn't even drive it with one hand.

I took it back to the dealer and then to a Freightliner Oasis shop. Both tried to blow me off saying it was normal.

I ended up at Henderson's Line Up in Grants Pass, Oregon. I had them install the STP, a new bell crank and tighten the slop in the steering gear. They also performed an alignment, did a four corner weight and made sure the tires were all properly inflated.

A bonus of having the STP is the safety aspect of having it help maintain control in the event of a front blow out too.

Let's see if some of our experts advise a steering stabilizer or if they think your problem might be better addressed with a sway bar of some sort.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I did pretty near exactly what Rick did except for replacing the bell crank. This coach tended to wander a bit more than our previous 38' Diplomat though the Windsor is nominally the same length and has a 10" longer wheelbase.

On the ~460 mile trip home we had poor weather with a lot of slushy snow and standing water on the highway. The coach plowed right through some sizable mounds of slush and pools of standing water and the steering wheel never twitched. Wind turbulence from big rigs passing us or us passing them was hardly noticeable.

I've never driven an eighteen wheeler so I can't give you a direct comparison. Drove many 1950's/1960's era Six-By's / Duce-And-A-Half's in the service but they're a different animal.

Henderson's Line Up, Grants Pass. Install Blue Safe-T-Plus Steering Control Unit-Parts $577 Labor $192.50. No sales tax in Oregon. They'll ship the parts to you or your shop if Grants Pass is not convenient. They're also at Quartzsite during the RV show.
541-479-2882 They're great people to deal with.

FWIW

P.S. There is a candy maker, Cary's, on the other side of the highway near Henderson's who make this chocolate covered toffee that is the crack cocaine of candy. What's worse is that they sell "seconds" for $5 per pound. You've been warned!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, 2012 Cherokee Overland
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For those who have concerns about the handling of their coach but aren't quite sure if particular after market products will help, Henderson's offers a Road Performance Assessment. For something just over $100 they talk with you about your concerns and then drive your coach around a 10 mile loop they use to assess it's actual performance. All the while, you are in the copilot's seat and they explain what they are seeing/feeling and then give you a written assessment along with prioritized options for improvement and their cost.

As a newbie who didn't really know what "normal" was, this really helped me out. They take a zero pressure approach and are some good folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
For those who have concerns about the handling of their coach but aren't quite sure if particular after market products will help, Henderson's offers a Road Performance Assessment. For something just over $100 they talk with you about your concerns and then drive your coach around a 10 mile loop they use to assess it's actual performance. All the while, you are in the copilot's seat and they explain what they are seeing/feeling and then give you a written assessment along with prioritized options for improvement and their cost.

As a newbie who didn't really know what "normal" was, this really helped me out. They take a zero pressure approach and are some good folks.

Rick
$100.00 to diagnose and the repair. Hmmm, it would be better if they discounted the recommended repair if you went through with their advise. Feels like they are in a win win situation.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our coach is not affected by wind, nor by passing semis. However, it does want to constantly wander, and does not behave well in the truck ruts that get worn into a lot of highways. I've always called the way it steers as 'constantly hunting', never running a solid straight forward line. A long day of driving can be quite tiring.

I installed the Steer Safe steering stabilizer a couple of years ago. It works as advertised. It greatly reduced the road wander, lessened the white knuckle driving. It actually made it possible for me to sometimes drive with only one hand on the wheel.

Regarding your issue with wind, I don't know it a steering stabilizer is the answer, or whether you need some kind of sway bar. Others may know.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
$100.00 to diagnose and the repair. Hmmm, it would be better if they discounted the recommended repair if you went through with their advise. Feels like they are in a win win situation.
Yep, I sure understand that point of view. My point of view is that I'm glad there was a place where I could take my coach and pay a reasonable labor rate to have a professional with and excellent reputation listen to my concerns... drive my coach... assess it's performance... and provide me with a written analysis and recommendations which I could choose to have done there, elsewhere, or not at all. I would rather pay someone to deliver a product they market openly for a fee (Road Performance Assessment) than to ask a shop do the same thing for "free" while still expecting them to provide an objective analysis.

I guess if having them expect to be paid for their labor puts them in a win/win situation... then that's what it is.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 04-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #8

You pose a generic question, but need to provide more information about your rig. What helps on a Diesel Pusher may not be the same as what works for a front engined, leaf spring rear suspension chassis - or solid front axle vs. independent suspension.

As a general comment, my 29 ft. front gas engine, independent front suspension, Safari Trek tended to need a goodly amount of steering correction in windy conditions. My solution wasn't to change anything at the front; rather to add a track bar to the back. By eliminating excessive side-to-side movement at the back, the need for steering correction was greatly diminished. Also, don't confuse track/panhard bars with sway bars. These are completely different products; one reduces side-to-side movement, and the other reduces lean.

I know lots of owners swear by the various steering "Stabilizers" on the market. My understanding is that they use some sort of spring pressure to keep the front wheels pointing straight ahead, but the power steering is sufficient to overcome the additional resistance to turning the steering wheel. I have never driven a unit with such a product, but wonder about the benefit on an otherwise good driving coach. Maybe the real benefit is only to reduce the tendency for a driver to make too many little steering corrections. I do know that additional straight-ahead stability can be achieved by adding more caster to the front suspension alignment, and this is probably cheaper than buying and installing an aftermarket component. All of this is just my opinion - as they say, "your mileage may vary"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
I am curious about those with experience after installation of one of these. I know that Blue OX Trucenter makes one as do others.
I have a 2012 MH with just 3000 miles on it. The steering is tight. The tires are new(only 3000 miles) and the MH drives like a big Caddlac! That is until you get a gusty side wind of 30 or so. Then the only way to feel comfortable driving this thing is to drop the speed and hold on tight! That is the nature of driving a high profile vehicle, and I have driven many of them, having retired from driving 18 wheelers.
So----- my question is---- do those things really help? If they do help what is the negative side of it?
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Point made Rick. I agree that sometimes paying for what could be a resolution is far cheaper than the frustration of constantly not knowing and dealing with the issue.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #10

I had the tru center installed last year because we planned to travel through Arizona for the Winter and I heard stories about the wind. 2007 Bounder Diesel 38V. The coach handled well before tru center. It is great now and even less tiring to drive. In strong winds you can recenter the wheel (why does the wind always blow from the side) and cruise along without the constant strain of holding into the wind. On crummy roads you can do the same. It was a good investment for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks all, for your input! There is absolutly nothing wrong with the steering on my 2012 40 ft DP. Is is as designed and that is of course the problem. A 40ft class A has a lot of wind surface. It is called a high profile vehicle. When you drive in a steady wind from the side it will give you, the driver, something to do as the pressure on the steering is constant. Change that into a side wind that is at times 15mph and then gusts to 30, 0r 35 and you may find yourself on the shoulder holding on for dear life. The normal response should be to slow down and become a little safer on the road. However I have read an occasional response on this and other forums about the value of steering stabilizers and am wanting realtime responses from those that have found the value of stabilizers or the negative side of them.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the SafeTPlus on our Winnie Adventurer gasser. Here is a footnote to any steering stabilizer, "They are worth the money". We were on I 16 W and had a right front blowout. DW was driving and brought it to the side of the road with no problem. That one incident paid for mine with interest.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went over to Port Huron yesterday to pick up two parcels shipped there from Henderson's in Oregon. A SuperSteer trac bar kit & a Davis Tru Trac front trac bar kit. I'm hoping upon hope that these two assemblies will finally get rid of my 32' gasser's 'wanderlust'! I've done the "Cheap Fix" on the sway bar ends & that did a very good job of cutting out an awful lot of sway & white knuckling when meeting oncoming semis.

I can see a problem I'm going to have installing the Tru Trac before I even get started. Not their fault. For some reason or other, and I'm not sure why I did it, I had air lift bags installed when I first bought this unit. The Tru Trac bracket has to be mounted on the driver side spring right where the air bag is situated! Do I slide & secure the Tru Trac bracket in under the bottom mount of the air bag or do I do away with the front pair of bags altogether? I honestly don't see what I've gained from them being there or on the rear for that matter.

What would you do if you were facing the same problem & question?

I would really appreciate feed back on this & the two kits & even the air bags, as I want to do this just one time & hopefully the right way!

Thank you all in advance.

Take care,
Ron
Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-Road-Pr View Post
I went over to Port Huron yesterday to pick up two parcels shipped there from Henderson's in Oregon. A SuperSteer trac bar kit & a Davis Tru Trac front trac bar kit. I'm hoping upon hope that these two assemblies will finally get rid of my 32' gasser's 'wanderlust'! I've done the "Cheap Fix" on the sway bar ends & that did a very good job of cutting out an awful lot of sway & white knuckling when meeting oncoming semis.

I can see a problem I'm going to have installing the Tru Trac before I even get started. Not their fault. For some reason or other, and I'm not sure why I did it, I had air lift bags installed when I first bought this unit. The Tru Trac bracket has to be mounted on the driver side spring right where the air bag is situated! Do I slide & secure the Tru Trac bracket in under the bottom mount of the air bag or do I do away with the front pair of bags altogether? I honestly don't see what I've gained from them being there or on the rear for that matter.

What would you do if you were facing the same problem & question?

I would really appreciate feed back on this & the two kits & even the air bags, as I want to do this just one time & hopefully the right way!

Thank you all in advance.

Take care,
Ron
I haven't delt with Henderson's,, but everybody says good things about them... CALL Them !! Ask their opinion... That's what I would do...

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering