Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Steering Stabilizers

Looking to put a Steering Stabilizer on my 2009 Hurricane.

Has anyone done a comparison of the Roadmaster RSSA and the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer's ?

Does the performance of the Safe T Plus justify the cost difference ?

Anyone experienced on this subject ?

Thanks
Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFred View Post
Looking to put a Steering Stabilizer on my 2009 Hurricane.

Has anyone done a comparison of the Roadmaster RSSA and the Safe T Plus steering stabilizer's ?

Does the performance of the Safe T Plus justify the cost difference ?

Anyone experienced on this subject ?

Thanks
Fred
Fred, I have the Blue Ox TruCenter on my coach and I love it. When a funky road pulls on the wheel or a heavy cross wind comes up I simply push a button and the strain is gone.

Happy trails,
Rick Y

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

I have used several different types and agree with the previous post about the True Center system.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
I have used several different types and agree with the previous post about the True Center system.
Me too
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Fred, I have the Blue Ox TruCenter on my coach and I love it. When a funky road pulls on the wheel or a heavy cross wind comes up I simply push a button and the strain is gone.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
I just began looking into this system and have a couple of questions for you.

Let's say you are encountering a stiff crosswind and you hit the button to compensate. What happens when the crosswind ceases? Will the MH tend to drift in the direction the wind was coming from?

Let's say you see you are about to be overtaken by an 18 wheeler. Do you hit the switch in anticipation of being pushed to the right? What happens after the truck passes?

Just trying to understand how these things work. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:23 AM   #6

I bought the Roadmaster for my Georgetown last year and I'm quite happy with it. I looked at the Safe T but for the price difference and same concept I didn't see the additional cost being justified. I guess the Safe T has a larger piston which is enclosed vs. the RM's exposed piston but that hasn't made a difference. Roadmaster products are well made and engineered, some even prefer their products for four wheel down towing over Blue Ox.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Commercial Member

ive had readmaster chassis sway bar, and steering stabilizer and recommended shocks
on the last three motorhomes i had. two were gas, and my third is a diesel
i only have the stabilizer on my current coach.
ive put over 250,000 miles on the first two coaches. my current coach has 116000 miles on it.
i can say that roadmaster is a very good product, and i would buy it again.
i have had no problems with any of the roadmaster products.that was their fault.
i also have a falcon 10,000 lb offroad tow bar to tow my 3/4 ton truck. i have only had one problem with that. a trucker forced me off the road in el paso, and i had no choice but to leave the road., and take the ditch.
the 1 inch stainless rods on the bar bent way out of shape but nothing broke. the whole tow bar held together. i expected to have something broke.
i was able to pound the bars straight enough to get home.
it was easily repaired. i wholeheartedly recommend roadmaster,

Old 04-11-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thinking of getting a steering stabilizer for our new 2016 Newmar Bay Star 32' gasser. There is a big price difference between Roadmaster and Safe-T-Plus vs. Blue Ox. I'm wondering is the performance difference is as huge as the price difference?
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
I just began looking into this system and have a couple of questions for you.

Let's say you are encountering a stiff crosswind and you hit the button to compensate. What happens when the crosswind ceases? Will the MH tend to drift in the direction the wind was coming from?

Let's say you see you are about to be overtaken by an 18 wheeler. Do you hit the switch in anticipation of being pushed to the right? What happens after the truck passes?

Just trying to understand how these things work. Thanks.
This is the beauty of this system. As road, weather and travel conditions change you can get steering stress relief with the simple touch of a button. What causes the pull is not the issue here. The greatest provider of drift and pull comes from the radial tires interacting with the road track. You can now get much relief from these conditions with the installing of the Blue Ox TruCenter. I looked at many systems before I purchased this one. This is the easiest to install and set up. And it works.

When first installed you will notice the wheel steers a bit harder, especially on turns. But you will adapt to the change quickly and no longer notice it.

The system comes with 2 options. You have a button for dash mounting and a button for the floor, a small version on the old headlight floor button. I used the floor button mounted on the foot rest on the left.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:57 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for your responses. I think the Blue Ox TruCenter is more than I want to spend. I'm really not sure how much longer I will be doing this, so do not want to make that big of an investment. That is why I had narrowed it down to the Roadmaster and the Safe T Plus and was really interested on information on those two. I appreciate everyone's input.

Fred
Old 04-14-2016, 02:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Fred... I too am considering between the Roadmaster and the Safe-T-Plus. Any comments regarding these two would be helpful.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We are also looking into some type of steering stabilizer not only for crosswinds but mostly thinking safety and have a few questions for the group in reference to the Blue Ox TruCenter.
Monies are not an issue when it comes to my family safety, just trying to understand the product and like the advice of real people.

1) When in the normal or nonactive mode can you tell any difference in the steering?

2) If the device is not set and a quick wind or semi comes by does it help in anyway without having to set it?

3) Since it is an electronic device has anyone had a component failure?

The most important question of all would be safety!!

I'm now asking about tire blowout or running off the road and reaction time. How does this device help if you have to set it to compensate for the push or pull after something like this happens when a lot can be happening for you to deal with? Is it not to late to help compensate for something happening so quickly?

Maybe I missing something, but that's why I like this site and the forums there is some much experience and knowledge to pull from and I thank you all for this!

Look forward to your responses,

Safe Traveles to All.
RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDFTravelers View Post
We are also looking into some type of steering stabilizer not only for crosswinds but mostly thinking safety and have a few questions for the group in reference to the Blue Ox TruCenter.

Monies are not an issue when it comes to my family safety, just trying to understand the product and like the advice of real people.

1) When in the normal or nonactive mode can you tell any difference in the steering?

2) If the device is not set and a quick wind or semi comes by does it help in anyway without having to set it?

3) Since it is an electronic device has anyone had a component failure?

The most important question of all would be safety!!

I'm now asking about tire blowout or running off the road and reaction time. How does this device help if you have to set it to compensate for the push or pull after something like this happens when a lot can be happening for you to deal with? Is it not to late to help compensate for something happening so quickly?

Maybe I missing something, but that's why I like this site and the forums there is some much experience and knowledge to pull from and I thank you all for this!

Look forward to your responses,

Safe Traveles to All.

The TruCenter is not an electronic device that is off or on. It's essentially a big steering stabilizer with 270 pounds of centering force. Where the electronic part comes in, is an adjustment for the center point.

The TruCenter is mounted with the steering wheel and the tires pointed straight ahead. In theory, if you were to drive straight down a perfectly flat road, the coach would track straight ahead with no steering input. The adjustable centering mechanism enables you to adjust the centering force on the steer axle to suit the road or wind conditions.

Every time you turn off the ignition, the TruCenter reverts to the straight ahead, static condition as when it was originally mounted. The 270 pounds of centering force is being exerted on the steering at all times, just the center point can change when you press the centering button.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info Steve, I appreciate you tanking the time to better explain how the device works.

So understanding you correctly the device is always working for you while driving. The bonus is this device allows you to add additional compensation for what I'll call temporary excess push or pull which other devices don't do?

Not saying other devices don't help, just staying this device gives you the option to add additional compensation till it's no longer needed by setting an new temporary center point.

I think I said that correctly and do like the idea of having the additional flexibility.

As always Safe Traveles to All.

RDFTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering