RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Stereo replacement

Just recently bought a 2005 Winnebago Voyage. Looking for a new radio system. Is there an easy replacement for the Magnadyne m9999? Hoping for a possible plug and play. Any suggestions?

Tommy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy 1 View Post
Just recently bought a 2005 Winnebago Voyage. Looking for a new radio system. Is there an easy replacement for the Magnadyne m9999? Hoping for a possible plug and play. Any suggestions?
Look into one of the Android based head units. These are like an Android tablet in the shape of a car stereo. You can install a GPS app like CoPilot or just use Google maps. Just do a search on Amazon for Android Head Unit. Tons of choices.

Oh, one more thing, Welcome to the forum.

LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy 1 View Post

Not familiar with that make, but most of these have unique plugs.
Buying a brand name (Pioneer, Kenwood,etc) will probably be your best bet if you canít find a direct replacement.
You would then need to cut and connect old wiring to new.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new Winnie! Not familiar with that radio. Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Is the system not working? Everyone is different but if your system is working I think there may be other things you may want to update. I use headphones when I listen to music and that way I listen to what I like and don't bother anyone else. But that's me, .
capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

I don't think anything will be plug and play exactly. But aftermarket (meaning not Ford, Chevy, etc) radios have wiring conventions. Right off the top of my head I can tell you the red wire should have a fuse and goes to "ignition/accessory on" power from the ignition. Then there's a yellow that will connected directly to battery power for the clock. A blue wire provides power when the switch is turned on to tell an external amplifier to turn on or make a power antenna go up. Speakers wires also are easy to sort out. A new radio will have instructions with plenty of wiring color info but the odds are good the Magnadyne wires will use the same ones. But very different plugs.

If you can make good wire crimp connections you can do it. Just a matter of choosing what features you want in a new unit.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tommy.....The Magnadyne in most coaches of that era are a size, called "double din"....that's the size of the opening. That's the largest opening, which means you can buy another double din radio or a smaller one. If you buy a smaller one, they make fillers.

It's not going to be a direct plug and play, but many wires are similar between brands. Typically things like the two power wires, (red & yellow), ground and speaker wires will be the same.

If you use common sense, it's pretty easy to figure out which wires connect to each other. The Magnadyne may have a wiring color code on the case and a new radio will come with the wires identified.

Lastly, the Magnadyne had an issue that many experienced. Often while playing a CD it would slow down or lose power. Many tossed them because they couldn't be fixed. Years later it was discovered that where the power wire goes into the rear of the radio, they were poorly connected. Once fixed the radio worked well
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:38 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tommy1-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

As for the radio, here's a link to the Magnadyne M9999 installation manual. That manual indicates the radio is a 1.5 DIN size (3 x 7 inches). Here is an article that describes options for replacing a 1.5 DIN radio. If you want to avoid making the hole larger for a 2 DIN radio, you can use an insert to install a 1 DIN radio. Magnadyne makes such an insert (link here). I think there are other inserts available, probably costing less.

I believe I have seen 2 DIN radios that fit in 1.5 DIN or 1 DIN holes. If you have enough space on the dash for the larger face they would be a nice option.

Magnadyne has products for the RV, boat and automotive markets. Their newer RV radios (link here) may not have all the features of the big suppliers (I don't know, as I have not compared). They may not even be plug-compatible with the M9999. That said, I think if I had to start somewhere I'd look at the Magnadyne 1 DIN units; if they are plug-compatible with the M9999, you're ahead.

After that, I'd call Crutchfield and see what they recommend for 1 DIN, 1.5 DIN and 2 DIN replacements.

Your Winnebago should have a harness behind the radio. On one end is the plug for the M9999. On the other is a plug to the coach's wiring. No matter what you buy, you can adapt it to the coach wiring by cutting off the M9999 plug and then splicing the new radio's wiring to that harness- leaving the coach's wiring plug untouched. "Dutch Star Don" already suggested this.

New radios can have Bluetooth, Apple AirPlay, navigation, etc. built in. But, I find some of them complicated to operate, or the buttons are small. You can add some features to an older radio by external attachments (I have done that with our Magnadyne). I find it easier for this old brain, and keep the radio simple. To each his own, though.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #9

I am having a problem with my magnadyne also. The radio, disc and all work fine but the display is gone so I don't know what is going on. Called them they make a replacement for the older units that is slightly small and they have the filler for it and they make it plug and play. No splicing wires for the speaks and power. I think it was like $125 dollars for new unit. I spoke with a gentleman named Mario, very knowledgeable and helpful.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:46 AM   #10

I replaced DW's radio in her daily driver with double DIN Android radio. She was NOT enthused. Until she got in it and realized it was basically like her Android phone and tablet. She took to it right away. Plus I can choose between three GPS apps, Slacker Radio, Spotify, Pandora, IHeart Radio, etc, etc when I drive it. (Stuff she doesn't care much about.) Also it plays CD's and DVD's, which we never use.

When I get around to it I'll be picking up another one for our coach. Probably one without a CD player though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 10:24 PM   #11

Mine has an old M-1 CD Magnadyne radio, it's a 2010 motorhome. I was going to replace the radio, but it's Sirius ready and I found the discontinued Sirius tuner it needed and hooked it up, and now that's all I listen to in the motorhome. Can get all kinds of music channels anywhere I'm located, as well as some cable TV networks.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Timely post! I too have an 2005 Winnebago (Aspect) with a Magnadyne stereo and wish to up grade to something with some newer features. I want bluetooth connectivity, hands-free calling, and possibly Google maps.
I am confused by the array of models and features out there, all I know is it's a double DIN footprint.
So I will be following this closely. If anyone has any suggestions along with the OP's requests, I'd be grateful also for some guidance.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Timely post! I too have an 2005 Winnebago (Aspect) with a Magnadyne stereo and wish to up grade to something with some newer features. I want bluetooth connectivity, hands-free calling, and possibly Google maps.
I am confused by the array of models and features out there, all I know is it's a double DIN footprint.
So I will be following this closely. If anyone has any suggestions along with the OP's requests, I'd be grateful also for some guidance.
Sounds to me like an Android based unit is a perfect fit for you. There are lots to choose from over at Amazon. I am hesitant to recommend a particular unit, because I think you should do you own research, check out the features that suit you own needs.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:49 AM   #14

The last time I swapped out a car radio for a Ford daily driver I bought a wiring kit at Frys elecroics ,the wire colors matched right up with the exception of having to choose orange wire for type of lighting dimming for face brightness. I still double checked every wire but was waaaayyy simpler than to old days when someone would have me hook up some random car stereo and their car had common ground speaker wiring. I'm a big Kenwood fan.

153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement