Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
still looking

we are still looking for our first MH , Class A or C, so I thought I would get a head start and try to avoid some of the problems of first time buyers. We are not new to the RV ing, we have had trailers cab-overs and a pop-up, but this will be our first Motor home. My first question is what do you all think is most important the mileage on a used unit or the cosmetics and I would like to know ,when searching for a used coach what to watch out for. I want to get a unit in as good overall shape as we can afford and not have to do too much work on it after the purchase.
sorry for such a long post here but have lots of questions.

LDP243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mileage for me and a floor plan I like. Service records are very important. If they have none or very few take into consideration the over all appearance of the unit. If it's trashed inside and dirty outside it could be a good indication of how they treated it mechanically. Check the underside for rust and have a tech check the rest of it before buying.

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think high mileage on a used unit is necessarily a bad thing. These things were built to be used. I have more confidence in a 5 year old MH with 50,000 miles than a 5 year old model with 15,000 miles. For one thing, most if not all the bugs should have been worked out or repaired by the previous owner or under warranty. Secondly, rubber seals dry out, tires rot, fuel goes bad, these are all common problems on older low mileage motorhomes.
We bought our Aspect at 5 years old with 50,000 miles, and have put 17,000 miles on it in two years. We have had very few problems, none mechanical. I did replace the tires due to cracking.
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Hi LDP243,
Go to RV shows in your area. Your not there to buy, but look at the floor plans. Many floor plans are around for many years. The first thing is to purchase the floor plan that meets your needs. Next is to make sure the coach will tow your toad and haul all your stuff without exceeding GCWR. Now see if you can find that coach owned by a full timer or at least a 1/2 timer. Lack of use not abuse us usually the death of a motor coach. See if you can get a 1 year service contract (ex. Good Sam). It's kind of like a warranty. Then have the unit checked out by both a certified tech for the automotive and coach systems (may be two different techs).
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
One of the things I've learned in my 45+ years of RVing is that there is considerable brand loyalty among owners of top-end RVs. Two brands of Class C motorhomes come to mind: Born Free and Lazy Daze. Owners of these brands almost universally take great pride in their units and maintain them outstandingly. Consequently, they are usually excellent buys as used units. Born Free's factory usually has an inventory of used units it takes in on trade on new units. What better place to buy a used unit than from the factory itself where it was manufactured. You can shop these units on the Born Free web site.

Check out the owner's clubs of various brands on units, owners usually market used units among themselves and they are usually good buys for good quality units.

I purchased a 1999 Born Free in showroom condition with complete maintenance records, including all receipts, with 52000 miles. It has been absolutely trouble free for two years and over 10,000 miles.

Bottom line, there are alternative places to shop for used rigs rather than dealer's lots, and, you usually get a better unit for a better price.
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
Hi all. We are also still looking. Really just started. We've lived aboard a 42' Trawler for 9 years and are thinking its time for a new adventure. Any info I can get would be great. Which class, what size, options. I need all advice. We will b full timers, so that I'm sure will b a factor. Thanks in advance
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Hi all. We are also still looking. Really just started. We've lived aboard a 42' Trawler for 9 years and are thinking its time for a new adventure. Any info I can get would be great. Which class, what size, options. I need all advice. We will b full timers, so that I'm sure will b a factor. Thanks in advance
I can only tell you what we have and why. Everyone has their own "druthers", and they can change over time.

We are F/T in a 33 diesel-puller, toading a Wrangler. We travel lighter than most. No freezer. No mini fridge. No washer/dryer. Only 2 slides. Etc.

For us, conserving on space and weight, easier maneuvering, and 11mpg makes for enjoyable touring. There is probably a 40 footer coming our way when we slow down a bit, however!

We got down to what we aint got we dont need. You'll figure out what fits your needs. Best of luck!
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Thanks go info. Our Trawler has lots of space (3 levels), but we find ourselves living in one mostly. My past life required being indoors a lot so I spend as much time out as possible, and the Admiral spends most of her time where ever the best view is. That why we think 38' is a max and 34 min for us. However we just came with this mad plan so everything is written in sand at low tide.

Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote