Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-17-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Stink bugs

Ok, I've had enough of these little minions from Hell. I close the slide room yesterday to get ready for this weekend. Hundreds (literally, not figuratively) of stink bugs are flying around the coach. It appears they decided to park in and around the perimeter of the slide seals outside - when I brought it in not all of them were wiped off as it came in.

Eradication Lessons learned:

Flyswatter - DONT do it. They leave a greasy dark stain on anything you smash them on. The odor is immense.

ShopVac - DONT do it. The smell they give off will never go away, mine is now forever ruined. Even after being emptied and washed well, the smell is atrocious.

Electric Bug Zapper - DONT do it. Their exoskeletal construction is that of an armadillo. They stay stuck between the wires and burn for what seems like hours - the smoke and odor is immense.

The only thing that seems plausible to eradicate these prehistoric pains in the arse are sticky fly strips hung right next to a bright light. They flock to bright light and end up being caught in the fly strips. Once full take the strip out and toss it into an outdoor garbage can.. ugggh.

94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
i use the crap out of Country Vet brand fly spray. I think you can get it a wal mart but I buy mine a the local farm store. Bomgaars, Tractor supply, rural King, Wilco ect. It is safe for all indoor use. Its specally made for dairies and food warehouses. Its safe to use in your rv. I spray it in my tractor cab while im in it. Its suppose to be used in a metered system where it sprays a little every few minutes. I just get a can a spray as needed. About 10 squirts and 5 minutes your stink bugs will be gone. As well as flies, spiders, moths,and any other incests you have in there. It works well with the Asian beetles also.
I live on a farm. I use this product in my house around my kids. I would be lost without it. I dont say thins about many things but it is awsome.

go to country-vet.com

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
This is good to know. I have found a couple around here so far, but I understand there is a new strain that is now coming in that will make the domestic ones seem like lady bugs.
Ken, Judy, and the Angels--2005 Fleetwood Southwind--2008 Cargo Trailer--2003 EZGO Golf Cart
Retired and Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
When we were in Virginia we spent all our time catching the stink bugs and flushing them down the toilet. We gave it up after four days and came down to Maggie Valley, NC. Wonderful here!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Actually, the sticky fly paper stuff is a great idea!
Richard Anderson
2002 Beaver Monterey Seacliff, '13 Jeep Wrangler
Retired, fulltimer
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Fleetwood Owners Club
Last year we travelled to Florida for the winter along the east coast. Stink bugs were everywhere. We averaged 7/day coming out of hiding until about the end of January. We would spot one and catch it in an empty water bottle with Dawn dishwashing soap in it. They died a "clean" death. Very big pain the you know what.
Terry and Cecelia "followin' the sun"

2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 35DK towing a Chevy Equinox
cappelte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A few years ago we were in Virginia and we were invaded by the "buggers." A month or two later we were back in Texas and still had them wandering around the MH.

I did some research and found out that any bug bomb that contains cypermethrin will work. I found some at Lowe's. I used two at a time. I say "at a time," because there were still residual bugs a few days later still wandering and I bombed again.

One year later I would still see an occasional dead one.

Their exoskeleton does not like water and will melt. We would go around picking them off the walls with Kleenex or Toilet paper being careful to not squash them. They are very friendly when you come towards them and will not jump or fly away. Just pick them up with the tissue and either put the down the toilet or in a coffee can with some soapy water.

Someone tell me what the "season" is for those bugs. I don't want to be in that neck of the woods next year at that time when we travel.

Some information on Stink Bugs
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Where did these things come from? What areas of the country are they in and when are they the worst?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was camping near Front Royal, VA Monday night and found a few in my rig. They are a PITA!
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A
mikebreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I've seen tons of them here in central NC this year too. I don't know much about them except the reason for their name. I wonder why they are so pervasive this year?
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The brown marmorated stink bug was accidentally introduced into the United States from China or Japan. It is believed to have hitched a ride as a stowaway in packing crates. The first documented specimen was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in September 1998. [3][10] Several Muhlenberg College students were reported to have seen these bugs as early as August of that same year.[6][11]

Other reports have the brown marmorated stink bug recovered as early as 2000 in New Jersey from a black light trap run by the Rutgers Cooperative Extension (RCE) Vegetable Integrated Pest Management program in Milford, New Jersey. [12] In 2002, it was again collected in New Jersey from black light traps located in Phillipsburg and Little York and was found on plant material in Stewartsville. It was quickly documented and established in many counties in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut and New York on the eastern coast of the United States. By 2009, this agricultural pest had reached Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky, Ohio, and Oregon.[13] In 2010 this pest was found in additional states including Indiana,[14] Michigan,[15] Minnesota,[16] and other states.[17] As of November 2011 it has spread to 34 U.S. states[4] and by 2012 to 40 and showed an increase of 60% in total numbers over 2011.[18]
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Newmar Owners Club
In eastern Tennessee the season seems to be September through the first 1/2 of October. Next year we plan to be somewhere else during this time. As the weather gets to the 70's in the daytime and the 50's at night, the bugs will go into hibernation for next year.

They do enter a coach when the slides are retracted. If one takes their awning rod, wraps the tip with electric tape, and runs the rod tip behind the slide seal to get the bugs out, it will reduce the number that come in when the slides are retracted.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
I get the impression you are referring to the Asian beetles that closely resemble the common lady bug. Here in SW Indiana they normally swarm in the latter half of Oct and into early Nov, then only after a cold-snap followed by warm weather; which is expected next week. I use a garden sprayer filled with residual bug killer to spray around all openings on the house, garages, and RV. It still doesn't stop a few, but kills so many I often use the leaf blower to clear dead Asian beetles off the porch and decks.
The other stink bug referred-to, despite "scientific" studies, has been here in Indiana since the late 1940's. I remember my folks telling me not to kill one inside the house because of the odor. There is another ongoing thread about them with pictures if you're interested.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I too remember stink bugs as a kid, but the new sting bug is entirely different.

Once you encounter them, you'll not forget.

Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote