Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #15
bap

i live in ky, and raise corn,,,ALOT of corn...we have no problem with stinkbugs,,,maybe one here and there but not enough to even worry about..
but the aisian lady bugs hit us about 10yrs ago pretty hard...and they bite, dont let anyone tell you they dont....because ive had to yank my shirt off more than once to get them off...not as bad as a sting but they can nail ya for sure..
the population on them keeps dropping and only come out in the orange clouds twice a year now and are attracted to the lightest colored buildins in your area,,,,thank god ours is not one of them....but my sons house next door is and he shop vacs hundreds up and burns them....best death method for the little boogers..
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, we keep a little tub of soapy water in the shower to drown them too. Wife uses a hand vac to suck them up, then drops into the water. I empty the tub a couple times a day if they are thick.

You are probably ok in southern PA until 9/15 or so, but somewhere around there they begin cutting the corn fields for silage and the stinkers flee for a new home as well as a warm place to winter. If you are still nearby, look out!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Everyone thought I was crazy when I talked about these darn bugs. We took a coast to coast trip last year (late September to early October) and stopped in North Carolina for four days for my nephew's wedding. We came back to the RV one night and saw them all over the exterior. I didn't think anything of it, we don't have invasive bugs like this out west.

When we left, we drove straight through to Washington D.C. While sitting in beltway traffic, I saw one of these bugs crawling up my "A" pillar. I grabbed it with a tissue, squeezed it dead and through it in the trash behind the driver's seat....wow....a couple of minutes later the smell was atrocious!

For months after we returned home, the darn things would show up. For every two dead ones I found a live one. When I thought they were all gone, I found more behind panels and a live one about once a month. I was pretty sure I had killed them all and traded the coach in. I was doing the walk thru with the new owners as a favor to the dealer, and the new owners (wife) found one of them. Luckily, it was dead.

Apparently, they can flatten their bodies and go through very tight spaces. If we ever go through that part of the country again in the fall. I will fuel up and drive through without stopping!
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We went to the Shenandoah Valley area of Virginia last October and the place was totally taken over by the Asian stink bugs. We stayed there for five days and spent all our time catching stink bugs and flushing them down the toilet! We packed up and headed for Maggie Valley, NC. It took a long time to get rid of all those little critters!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
bap

cann anyone post a pic of these asian stinkbugs,,,? because like i said i live in ky very close to ohio and west virginia,,,we dont have any trouble with what we call stink bugs here,,,but the asian lady bugs are in orange clouds in the spring and fall,,but the numbers have decreased dramaticly over the last 5 yrs.

i remember back in the 70s down in fla. the love bugs were so bad that we had to put screens over the front of our vehicles to keep them from over heating our vehicles..
Old 10-04-2014, 08:17 PM   #20

Images and info
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown...ated_stink_bug
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:48 AM   #21
bap

thanks for the pic.,,,,,those look something like we have but are not the ones you all are talking about,,,,havent seen any like that in eastern ky.......,.,.,yet,,,,

i raise a few acres of corn every year, enough for family and friends,,,and i also grow field corn for our horses,,,,,,and from now on i will be loooking for these stinkers...
i dont use chemicles on our plants and dont want to....but if these show up may have to.......insects are a huge problem around our country these days,---

thanks again for taking time to post the pic with info.....
Old 10-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
DW keeps a spray bottle of soapy water, once sprayed they die in approx 10 to 15 seconds then we either vacuum them up or flush them.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote