Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #1

Stinkbugs

If you are headed to N GA or SC be ready to battle stinkbugs. There are everywhere and find ways to get in the RV. Must have killed 40-50 last inside the RV.
Ed-Helen pns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto in southern Pennsylvania, e.g. the Hershey & Lancaster area. Anywhere there are corn and soy crops is a prime stinkbug region. We just left Hershey and the stinkers wewre swarming becasue the corn fields were being cut daily. Not so bad here near Gloucester, VA, but they were thick here last September.

Spray a high residual bug killer around openings, e.g. the corners of slides, in storage bays, etc. Maybe keep windows closed and use the a/c, even though it's nice out. Stinkers can often squeeze through the gap between screen and glass on sliding type RV windows.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

We first noticed them on a one night stop in Kentucky.
We have now been in east Tennessee for a week and they are bad here also.
Never seen anything like it.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
How To Kill "STINK BUGS"

Yes They have invaded Southern Maryland as well.
Go to YOUTUBE type "best stink bug traps ever", watch the news story first (3:30), if you are interested watch the tutorial (11:39). I am making two and will report Friday how it worked for me. Good Luck And Happy Hunting.

Items needed are: 2 liter plastic bottle, tape (both scotch and masking) and an LED portable lite for the bottom of the bottle, and a knife.
As Per the News piece, stink bugs are attracted to the lite, once in the bottle they cant get out.
NOTE: I have posted the links from my computer, it's Linux OS.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
These stink bugs are invasive species from China. The first ones showed up in Pennsylvania in 1998, they have since spread across the U.S. They pierce fruit and plant stems to feed, destroying the fruit for human sale. (appearance, not dangerous)

No natural predators in the U.S., they seek shelter in homes in the fall to escape low temperatures. If you brush them away, they don't release stink. If you crush them, P.U.!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That light trap never caught a single bug.... for me or my friends that tried it.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
That light trap never caught a single bug.... for me or my friends that tried it.
I caught 3, about 2 bucks per bug! Don't waste your time.
I sprayed my house with the mold cleaner that attaches to a garden hose. Don't have the brand name right now. That really reduced the number of stink bugs on the house and may help with an RV. The bugs leave a scent to mark a trail for others to follow. My theory is that the house wash removes the scent trail.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We also built one of those traps, but never caught anything in it. I suppose if we set it outside at night it might get some, but that's not not going to put a dent in the population!

Before winter we will put fogger-type insect bombs in the big basement bays and coach interior to try to get rid of the ones hiding behind cabinets and such. And spray a fog into smaller spaces where they may be lurking - those little suckers get in everywhere. Last Spring I removed the backer in an overhead cabinet to get at some wiring and found three dead ones back there from the previous year - I guess the pest spray worked!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Having same problem with those little critters in Syracuse, NY as well. I guess they will be pestering us all the way down to Florida when we leave mid October. Sigh - thanks for the info.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

We discovered the solution. Leave PA for the desert before 9/1.
No stinkers.
No lovebugs.
Done them both too many times. 😄😳😬
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
That's A Real Fix Right Thar!...
Old 10-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
We discovered the solution. Leave PA for the desert before 9/1.
No stinkers.
No lovebugs.
Done them both too many times. ������
Except the few that have already found shelter in or under your RV. They will hitchhike along with and in a few years they'll be in the desert to greet you when you arrive there to escape them in Pennsylvania.

Each summer Yellowstone and other Parks have crews that go along the roads and kill off introduced plants. The seeds of those plants hitchhiked in with visitors to the park. Same issue with the insects. As we battle the stinkbugs, we also have the Asian Ladybugs that crawl into the house for the winter. People move about, and seeds and bugs come with them. Even bugs like Ebola!!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:17 PM   #13

Stinkbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Except the few that have already found shelter in or under your RV. They will hitchhike along with and in a few years they'll be in the desert to greet you when you arrive there to escape them in Pennsylvania.

Each summer Yellowstone and other Parks have crews that go along the roads and kill off introduced plants. The seeds of those plants hitchhiked in with visitors to the park. Same issue with the insects. As we battle the stinkbugs, we also have the Asian Ladybugs that crawl into the house for the winter. People move about, and seeds and bugs come with them. Even bugs like Ebola!!

My first year of F/T we left PA 10/1 and brought a brazillion stinkers with us. Most of them flew away in Casa Grand. Stinkers cannot survive the heat of AZ, and have nearly nothing to eat in the desert. But they are making inroads in AZ in some agriculture areas where they can shelter under leaves. Irrigation is their lifesaver.
Leaving SE PA before 9/1 was before they started to hole up.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to TripleE
Ohio has a large population of stink bugs. We were in Zanesville, OH and were inundated with them. More there than in PA. Drowning works to kill them. We lightly grab them and then drop them into some water with a little dish soap in it. I have a plastic container I only use for this. It keeps the stink down as you are not crushing them. They get in everywhere.