Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Stocking a new coach

In the process of buying a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. Is there a list somewhere of useful items to have on a coach ? I am looking for things that might not be so obvious to a newbie.
Thanks
Elen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2

Best thing I can say is, for your first outing, stay as close to home as possible, so you can pop home to pick things up. Even stay for a week in your back yard, if you can.
#1 thing not to forget . Cell phone and charge cord.
#2 Road Side Service Club Membership
and I'm sure others will add a ton more.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am a nut on carrying spare parts: Mounted spare tire; engine fuel, oil and air element filters; coolant; power steering and brake fluids; spark plugs and wires; serpentine belt; extra length of sewer hose; fuses and relays galore; quality battery powered CO2 detectors; wheel chock; RV repair manual(s); walkie-talkies; transmission fluid and external filter; disposable cameras; inspection mirror; multi-meter; 110v plug polarity tester; windshield chip repair kit; emergency flasher; rope/wire; tarps; water pump; generator spares; smoke alarms; Water Thief; water pressure regulator; radiator hose repair kit; radiator cap; tool box with lots of stuff; 110v tire compressor; various 50/30/15 amp power cords; hose clamps; glue; caulk; EternaBond tape; wipers complete and blade refills.......and more
Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
In the process of buying a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. Is there a list somewhere of useful items to have on a coach ? I am looking for things that might not be so obvious to a newbie.
Thanks
Elen
I see you are driving across country on your first trip and you are flying in to pick it up. My wife and I did the same thing a couple of years ago. We flew from MI to OR and drove the motorhome back to MI. We did bring bedding and a minimum of clothing with us. She also brought a couple of her favorite cooking items on the plane. You may want to bring some of your favorite DVDs too.

Our first stop was at a Walmart to pick up essentials including food, dish and bar soap, paper plates, disposable cereal bowls and silverware. You can add items along the way as you need them. Don't forget Goodwill stores.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elencas View Post
Thanks
Elen
IMO, you need a couple of sections of potable water hose, a stinky slinky to drain waste, a Watts type water pressure regulator, a good electrical surge supressor/current monitor, and a short non potable water hose. As far as tools, IMO, you should have duct tape, WD-40, silicone lube, electrical tape, and a selection of basic tools, including adjustable wrenches and pliers. A set of spare 12V fuses are also handy to have. Inside the coach bring stuff you like to use at home. For me it is a favorite coffee cup. We also carry a binder with copies of driver's licenses, registrations, passport id pages, insurance declarations, extended warranty, and copies of contact numbers. Enjoy your new motorhome.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #6

Try to remember that the more you carry the more it weighs and the more room you need to have. I have some basic items that I carry even though I don't do much long distance travel, though that will change this summer.

I carry a basic tool box and a container of mixed nuts, bolts, tape, etc., camping chairs, and cook table. I also have a small ladder that I can get to everything except the roof (I use the back ladder for that), outside broom and dustpan. I also keep a qt of oil (engine and generator), and a gallon of coolant.

My feeling is that most, if not all items, can be purchased locally when needed. If you have a DP I'm sure there are items that will need to be carried that I wouldn't need. Since I'm selling my older rig and buying a newer rig this spring I cleaned out all the bays and was shocked at how much STUFF I pulled out. It filled 3/4 of an 4x8 utility trailer. Told the DW we will be downsizing on the next rig.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First and foremost a surge protector. In my books anything after that is gravy.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:00 AM   #8

I just brought home our new rolling home (2010 Bounder 33U), and I am beginning the fun task of moving everything from my Lance Camper to the coach. We are new to motor homes, so I am sure I'll have some more lessons to learn.

Valuable lesson number one I learned at the dealer...before you drive it off the lot, go have lunch, coffee, or something that takes you away from the coach for an hour or two. I got caught up in my excitement and I allowed a few things to get by me in the walk through...now it's warranty work.

Another thought, when we were contemplating a coach in N.C. (we're from Nevada) we were preparing a couple of boxes that we could UPS to the coach location that would contain bedding, cookware, utensils, clothes and such. Food of course you can pick up after you arrive. I wanted to make the flight out as painless as possible and with extra baggage costs these days the cost of UPS was competitive.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

We bought our Sportscoach out of New York State. We actually drove our Jeep and in the back we brought our tow bar, bedding, water hose, tools and clothing. Once we picked up the unit, we immediately went to Walmart and stocked up on other necessities then drove her home. It was a good trip.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I just brought home our new rolling home (2010 Bounder 33U), and I am beginning the fun task of moving everything from my Lance Camper to the coach. We are new to motor homes, so I am sure I'll have some more lessons to learn.

Valuable lesson number one I learned at the dealer...before you drive it off the lot, go have lunch, coffee, or something that takes you away from the coach for an hour or two. I got caught up in my excitement and I allowed a few things to get by me in the walk through...now it's warranty work.

Another thought, when we were contemplating a coach in N.C. (we're from Nevada) we were preparing a couple of boxes that we could UPS to the coach location that would contain bedding, cookware, utensils, clothes and such. Food of course you can pick up after you arrive. I wanted to make th e flight out as painless as possible and with extra baggage costs these days the cost of UPS was competitive.
What a great idea!! Wish we had thought of that.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:31 PM   #11

I like the stay local for the first night plan too. I think the first night should be spent in the driveway, then repeat until you can make it 24hrs without going into the house/garage. THEN you know you're packed!

Congrats, and best of luck! -Al
Old 10-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #12

Most people pack way too much. I carry 2 fresh water hoses, 2 110v 12 gauge extension cords, a 25 ft 50 amp extension cord, Electrical dog bone adapters(30-50 amp 50-30)a quality sewer hose and adapters for it. a 50 ft coax extension, leveling blocks, hose washers, wheel chalks, Wheel locks, rechargeable flashlight, cordless drill, Soldering gun and solder, electrical tape, duct tape, digital VOM, WD-40, a well stocked tool box, and a Ronsin rotissery. Lots of Peets coffee and a credit card and cell phone. Those items will get almost anything you need done. Don't forget your credit card and cell phone. If your phone doesn't get the internet, an I pad with wifi. Then all the stuff you need to live. My wife needs 10 times as much stuff as I do there but she says I pack too much other stuff like a cordless drill.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

I own a 5er but the first thing I bought when we purchased our first 5er was a RV repair manual by Trail life. The book is written be Bob Livingston and the book is called "Repair and Maintenance Manual" another book I would look at is “RV Owners Manual”.
The internet is great but a book can always be read where there is no internet connection and it is nice for referring back to.
Jim W.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #14

The most important two things to have are post-it notes for the walk thru! Ask many questions and write the answers on the post-it notes beside the item, switch, valves and so on. Assume nothing and get answers. Find out how the tv and all that is envolved with that antenna, sat dish, VCR, DVD, surround sound, which remote goes with what. How to fill fresh water and how to drain everything. How does the jacks work, water heater, fridge. I would stay at the location where you are buying it at least one night, the questions in the morning will be worth the night. Good luck and let us know.