Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 AM   #15

Statistics say a person is 1000% less likely to be burglarized just by having a system and exterior signs and stickers on the doors and windows. Just don't forget an alarm permit with your local PD. It's awfully nice to set the perimeter at night and rest knowing you won't awaken to a stranger standing over you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #16

I had a break-in last year. Lost a laptop, digital camera and digital camcorder. The cops came up with every excuse imaginable for why they couldn't get prints. I have since installed an alarm with and outdoor speaker in the attic. The thief was looking for drugs or something for drug money as my medicine cabinets were ransacked. The high dollar stuff is in a safe bolted to a closet floor.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had ADT for close to 20 years now. Signs alone seem to do the job!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #18

I had an ADT salesman come to my door last year. My "Sadie" alarm system want off as usual when the door bell rings. Anyhow, he offered to install an alarm system for free if I allowed them to put a sign in my front yard. I told him he could just leave the sign for free advertising and save ADT the cost of the install. Never saw him again?!?!?!?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I had an ADT salesman come to my door last year. My "Sadie" alarm system want off as usual when the door bell rings. Anyhow, he offered to install an alarm system for free if I allowed them to put a sign in my front yard. I told him he could just leave the sign for free advertising and save ADT the cost of the install. Never saw him again?!?!?!?
Because their business model is monitoring.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #20

I know, I know, but would it really hurt their sales to have their product advertised for free. I know if I was in the market for an alarm system and saw a bunch of ADT signs, I would be more prone to go with them than an unknown alarm company.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #21

Installing software such as http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/index.html

Will help authorities to get computers back. You van actually take a picture remotely of the thief trying to use your laptop.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #22

That would be cool, especially if it had a flash.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #23

My son had a laptop stolen in the San Jose area , the laptop was a Dell and when we bougth it we had the Lo-jack installed. It was found in a hotel room with about 30 other stolen laptops that were all up for sale by the perps. We did get it back but they had erased the memory.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNOLL View Post
My son had a laptop stolen in the San Jose area , the laptop was a Dell and when we bougth it we had the Lo-jack installed. It was found in a hotel room with about 30 other stolen laptops that were all up for sale by the perps. We did get it back but they had erased the memory.
Two lessons:
- Using products like LoJack or Orbicule will help you get your laptop back. If nothing else it will help LEO with more information. In the case of Orbicule it takes pictures of the perps using your laptop and also takes screen captures as well so LEO can get names, e-mail addresses, etc.

- BACKUP your laptop. I'm a professional wildlife/nature photographer and have no less then my data backed up on 4 different drives to ensure I'm well protected. Of course at least of these backups is stored off site. It's not a matter of if your hard drive failed, it's when! Of course theft is even worse than hard drive failure.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #25

I consider myself very lucky. I've been computing since 1985 and have only lost one hard drive. I also keep backups on 3-4 laptops and when I'm out of town, they go in a fire-proof safe that is bolted to the floor in a locked closet.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #26

As an IT Security guy, here are my $.02 worth....

Good luck getting a stolen laptop back. These are often sold on Craigslist, Ebay, etc. Pawn shops are not where they are going to make any money. Also, there are no cameras or forms to fill out like a pawn shop. Its all about the innerwebs baby!!

Guard your info by using whole disk encryption. I like TrueCrypt (google it). Its free and it encrypts your whole hard disk. You will need to put in a Password each time it boots up, but if its lost or stolen, your data is absolutely safe. You want to make sure you read the installation instructions before installing (don't want to lock yourself out of your own PC, lol). If you have the right version of Windows, you can use BitLocker - its the same sort of thing.

Carbonite and the rest are okay. I'm not a fan of cloud storage cuz its the gift that keeps on giving (your are the gift in this case, lol). for $100 you can get a 1TB USB or network drive to back your data up to. The network version has a client you load on the PC that backs up new data automatically. Or just drag and drop to a USB drive and hide that. And you pay once.

Other good computer security ToDo's:

• ALWAYS Make sure you're OS patches are up to date. Make sure Windows update is on. If you are asked to update java or Adobe, do that too.
  • Don't be fooled that MACs' are safer than PC's. You can click on a web link and become infected just like a PC. Which leads me to...
  • Don't click on email links you don't trust. If it looks even a little suspicious, move on. These often contain embedded malware or links to malware (Malware = virus', infections, Trojan software. Bad stuff).
  • NEVER open email from people you don't know.
  • Banks and other financial institutions will NEVER, EVER, EVER ask you for your SSN, Credit card # or other stuff like that via email OR on their web site. EVER! Don't be fooled, no matter how legit the site looks - I recently saw a fraud where it looked exactly like a Bank of America site, but was asking for mothers maiden name, SSN, CC#, all the stuff BoA would NEVER ask for.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #27

I have notices near the doors and on the larger windows:
HOUSE MONITORED BY REMOTE CAMERA

AND NEIGHBOR WITH SNIPER RIFLE

CAUTION - YOU MIGHT BE IN RANGE

Don't know if it works but we haven't been bothered (knock on wood)
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Woof woof!

Pretty good alarm when the woofer is a 70# Husky.

She doesn't take to being startled.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote