Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
Stolen Laptop

Well, it finally happened to me....someone broke into our house yesterday and stole alot of things, one being my laptop. Would any LEO from Texas who reads this tell me how the laptop and pawn shop deal goes? I have the s/n of my laptop and gave it to the police on the form I had to fill out that listed the missing items. Does that s/n get sent to pawn shops in the area so they can check if it's stolen before they sell it? I'd sure like to get my pictures and RV related files back. What a bummer! Needless to say, ADT is getting a new customer. The horse is gone, time to close the barn door......

'07 Dutch Star 4023
'15 Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee
lhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
We have had a lot of burglary's around this neighborhood and I think there are two things that have saved me from that is my two dogs and the ADT sign in the front of the house.

golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look at the bright side, you have been pre-disastored, so you probably won't get robbed anymore. If it was me, I'd just have some signs made, put one on your lawn and one on front and back door.(security company signs) they work just as well, and cost a lot less!
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Sorry to hear of your loss. YOU should contact pawn shops with that information. The police may do it as well, but unless YOU do it, you'll never know if it was done. After that, it's up to the pawn shop owners to do the right thing.

I'd also like to point out that storing pictures and other digital media on a laptop is begging for disaster. The CEO of a company I was working for brought me a Macbook with a dead hard drive in it. It was his daughter's school machine. She lost everything.

He asked me: "How often does this sort of thing happen?". My answer: "100% of the time". Conventional hard drives are mechanical devices. They wear out and stop working. Always. Every single one does. No exceptions. (There is new solid-state technology available now that fixes this, but it's not mainstream yet and is still expensive.)

So, even if your laptop had not been stolen, you were still doomed to lose your files eventually because you did not have a back-up strategy. We should all take this opportunity to re-examine our data storage habits, and make sure that WHEN our hard drives fail, they won't take our data with them.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Maybe too late for you....

But there is an app for that: "How to Track and (Potentially) Recover Your Stolen Laptop or Android with Prey"

How to Track and (Potentially) Recover Your Stolen Laptop or Android with Prey
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
But there is an app for that: "How to Track and (Potentially) Recover Your Stolen Laptop or Android with Prey"

How to Track and (Potentially) Recover Your Stolen Laptop or Android with Prey

Thanks for the link
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Sorry to hear of the breakin and loss of your laptop, I believe in karma, and what goes around, comes around.
2014 Gulf Stream Conquest Lite Model 218MB
2013 Chevy Traverse LT
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Mid Atlantic Campers
Can't comment on TX but in VA the pawn shops are required to send reports to the PD of items they receive. Of course, that doesn't mean they always do. Those items are checked against the reports . As for not worrying because you've already been burglarized, I would still be prepared. We've had folks hit twice because the bad guys know you're going to go out and buy new stuff so they can come get your new stuff again!!! An alarm that makes lots of noise and light and big dogs are the best deterrents.
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 36MS
2008 CrossRoads Cross Terrain TF36DS (SOLD)
CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
So sorry for your loss. Happened to us 6 years ago. I visited all the pawn stores myself and the computer was never recovered. I now use the Carbonite service that automatically backs up EVERYTHING whenever I'm online and stores it online so if I lose my computer through theft or crash, my files are retrievable from anywhere.
2007 Winnebago Tour Full-timing for the first time
Kim, Lynda & Cody the shih tzu
See our blog: http://wildridetravels.com/
llmrealestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many laptops have a "Locator" feature, contact the cuss-some-more support for the company that made the laptop, Give them the police report number and department name and number, they may, And I stress MAY be able to find it for you.

Epically if you did not have it log-on password protected like mine are.

NOTE: if they find it they are more likely to "Buzz the fuzz" than tell you, but that's ok.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
one more thing. don't assume that all crooks will take their stolen stuff five hundred miles from where they stole it. One dumb nut broke into a jewelry store here and then had his mom bring in the rings to a hock shop I worked in. she was trying to pawn all the new stuff still in the little cases. I think they are still doing time for that one. crooks are not smart, sly maybe but not very smart.
golfpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
in dfw the police check all the time (Arlington) but the new thing is craigslist it was on tv
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
Country Coach Owners Club
The answer to your question is complex. First lets start with the Pawn Shops. Lets all assume that they are honest in the dealings. They report to the local law enforcement agency on what they purchase and/or loan $$$ on. If the item is not reported correctly..like the serial number having a missing digit or letter and it reported wrong to the law enforcement, the item will not be returned to the correct owner.
The Law Enforcement...here it gets even more complex...The law enforcement gets a copy of the pawn ticket via US Mail. So you might have a few weeks of build up of the pawn ticket, prior to sending them in. Now you must have a person who would show interest in trying to connect pawned items to missing items. In this day of cut backs by all business's (law enforcement is a business) they might not have that person to review pawn tickets. Remember that a copy of a pawn ticket is sent to the local police agency...there are dividing lines in cities or even between cities, where the bad guy could walk across the street and pawn a non serialized item and it would never be known about where the crime occurred. Items with a serial number is different. Most of the time all items with a serial number will/should be checked upon the receipt of the pawn ticket. But remember most people at the time of reported crime, do not have serial # available and will report it later, both to the law enforcement and their insurance company. So if there is a delay by the VICTIM to report the stolen item to the law enforcement and the ticket has come in, been checked with a computer inquiry with no reported loss or stolen, there is a possibility that it will not be connected.
Sorry this is so long..but as I said it's very complex system we live in and everything must fall info place and if there is a delay or something is not just right, all links will not connect. My best advise is to do your best to report any and all stolen items as soon as possible, report it to you insurance company and go on with your life and try to get back to normal. But remember the bad guy will remember what they took and know that most families will replace those stolen items. Do what you need to do to protect yourself and family from any future loss.
2007 Allure 430 & 2012 Jeep Overland
SoCal Mountains
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #14
Tiffin Owners Club
So sorry to hear of your loss. Laptops are easy to steal and easy to unload as my daughter found out. In Alabama the police report is filed and the pawn shops are supposed to report property such as laptops. However, due to cutbacks in the budget as she was told, the chances of recovery are slim to none because they simply do not have the personnel to dedicate to this particular problem. There are so many robberies these days that they prioritize it and assign personnel based on a scale. They told her to keep watch on e-bay and craigslist sites as that was the most popular way to sell stolen property and they also told her that most likely the property was moved to another state for sale.

Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is online now   Reply With Quote