Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 PM   #15

Cash

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

The concept is that the insurer will "make you whole again", but the devil is in the details. You will likely be having some discussions with the insurer about the value of the rig, and perhaps the value of your belongings as well. You have a recent sales receipt for the coach, so it's value is reasonably well established, even though not at average market value. Your other belongings may be more subjective - they are not obligated to replace everything with brand new, but where do you find used clothing of a particular type and quality? On the other hand, what proof of items, age and quality do you have to show there was an actual loss? You will have to negotiate a reasonable compromise for your goods. Anything you can document should be easy, but there will probably be a lot that is subjective and unproven. Insurers like documents, so make an orderly list, with brands, approximate purchase date and original cost listed neatly. Yelling that you lost "thousands of dollars in property" probably won't do any good, but an oderly claim for defined items should get most of what you want.

You have the option of filing a claim with your own insurance and letting them subrogate (file claim) against the shop and their insurer. You may get a quicker and more sympathetic payout that way, but it may also be subject to a deductible and whatever provisions your policy has for theft. I'd try the shops insurer first, but if they get balky you can fall back on your own.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know yours was stolen intact so our friends scenario is different. Their 5th was so damaged that it was picked up by a forklift and dumped in a debris box. They were given a couple of boxes of items by the CHP. Trying to prove what the contents were and what they were worth is nearly impossible. I am now in the process of documenting all of the contents of my RV with current value.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you have a primary home, your contents (personal property) will extend from this policy subject to the deductible.

As respects to your trailer, state law may be a factor in the "duty of care" the dealership is obligated to maintain and the bailment they had. I would contact your own insurance as a report only IF the dealerships insurance doesn't move swiftly.

I would prepare two itemize list of each personal item you had in the trailer, one for anything related to the trailer (hoses, sewer hoses, adapters, etc) and another list for household personal property (dishes, clothing, bedding, etc). Hopefully you had some personal property coverage with your Trailer policy because most Homeowners policy will exclude items intended for use in a motor vehicle.

I had a major fire and had a very difficult time collecting on any of my tow equipment (policy only provided $1,000), also couldn't collect on my Easy UP Tent and items like that from my Homeowners.

Hopefully the value of the trailer will not be an issue, since it was just purchased and that should reflect the value.

Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:45 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have taken a video plus pictures of the whole S&B,Garage.MH inside and out (ins. wanted them to insure with Full Coverage, my request). Its hard to put a price on something by memory, but with pictures and a video makes it a little easier. I do this once a year.
Of course receipts make it the essayist in my Opinion.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
One of the reasons we got the Neats Receipts is to keep a record of all purchases for us and if needed the insurance company or IRS. I scan in the receipts which has all the information that the insurance company would need if something happened - the place it was bought, when it was bought and how much it was - the only other piece of information would be how much to replace it. But at least I have a record of everything and won't forget something that was stuck in a drawer ... lol. And I say the IRS because if needed and they audited then I can just pull out the information they needed too. Oh yea and if you do get robbed you can take a deduction on your taxes ... but then again they want the same info as the insurance company. Yes we got robbed a few years ago and found out that you can take a deduction on your taxes.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
I had a custom Ford Bronco stolen out of my driveway and never recovered. I had to wait 30 days. Thankfully I had all of the receipts and pictures of the custom Bronco inside and out. The insurance company's first offer was NADA. I provided the receipts and photos...they paid for everything including my tool box in the back (that was also in the pictures). I would think your dealers invoice would work the same way.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #22

Update

Well, the coach still has not been recovered. At this point, I think it is happily cooking meth somewhere in the woods of the Puget Sound. BIG problem here. But, I got the proverbial voice mail from the "third Party's" insurance carrier (Farmers)...stating that he was just about done with the "appraisal" on our unit. No mention of the bill of sale (the coach we had just bought two weeks previous), no mention of the list of personal possessions......

Not feeling real good about what is coming at this point. When I sent this "appraiser" the photos of stuff, the coach, the bill of sale for the coach, etc....I had prefaced by telling him that "regardless of his appraisal, we will be hard pressed to settle for anything less than being made whole"....What a nightmare...
Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
If the settlement is not satisfactory, call your insurance company or your attorney.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 PM   #24

Thanks Chuck....you made me feel better tonight.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #25

Unless it new or less than 5 years old with full replacement coverage you maybe at the mercy of the blue book.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Unless it new or less than 5 years old with full replacement coverage you maybe at the mercy of the blue book.
This isn't a case where the OP is making a claim against his own insurance.

Obviously, wait for the shop's adjuster to make an offer, and don't be afraid to bump him for a better offer -- I'd be willing to bet a nice dinner he can go 10% higher than whatever number he originally quotes. If that's still unreasonably low, then it'll be well worth bringing in an attorney. When the attorney then calls the adjuster, that becomes another step in the process -- after all, this isn't a case where the shop's insurance company is going to "win" -- it's a matter of what they are going to lose. If you file a court case, they know the best deal they are going to end up with is, effectively, their initial offer (assuming they pull bluebook, etc) plus an easy $6,000 in legal fees. Probably a lot more than that.

Now, if you were claiming $30,000 in "loss of use" that'd be different and worth the fight, but this is all small pickings -- effectively, rounding errors.

I know it's really tough and easy to sit and be worried when you are waiting (lord knows I'd be spinning around in circles if it was me) but I'm confident this will all work out without great headache.

Steve
Old 08-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hope they are fair with you. Many policies have a clause where you can't sue or arbitrate the settlement for physical damage, but I really want to believe that the industry I am part of will treat you fairly since you only owned this unit for such a short time frame, which is where part of the value should be established. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
This isn't necessarily true, I had an agreed value policy I purchased from Progressive in 2001 and maintained it until March 2012 when my motorhome burned and Progressive wrote me a check for the full amount.

My current coach also has an agreed value endorsement on it as well.

Tags
insurance