Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #43

Carolina Campers
Stolen MH and Insurance Reimbursement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplin View Post
Good news, Farmer's has offered to pay us our full purchase price, plus taxes, license, and fees. That's the big one. The bad news is that they did not even address our list of personal possessions. Not one item. This was a fairly conservative list...dishes, glassware, my tools and toolbox, a couple fishing poles, tackle box, and other misc items tht you would typically find in the family MH during the summer.

Now, most of these items are 5 plus years old...I don't have receipts for this stuff. Just a limited number of photographs of these items in real life from when we had our previous travel trailer.

Guess I will wait for my email response on this question tomorrow.
I think it is good that they are giving you your full purchase price, without saying you have 10 years deprecation.

Regardless, if you push them, I am sure they will provide more for personal items.

Just don't forget that you may still have a claim against your own insurance, and/or even home owners for the personal items.

Ted

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplin View Post
Good news, Farmer's has offered to pay us our full purchase price, plus taxes, license, and fees. That's the big one. The bad news is that they did not even address our list of personal possessions. Not one item. This was a fairly conservative list...dishes, glassware, my tools and toolbox, a couple fishing poles, tackle box, and other misc items tht you would typically find in the family MH during the summer.

Now, most of these items are 5 plus years old...I don't have receipts for this stuff. Just a limited number of photographs of these items in real life from when we had our previous travel trailer.

Guess I will wait for my email response on this question tomorrow.
That is great news on the coach! Hopefully you will get great news on your personal property. Please keep us updated!

Just curious on circumstances on the theft, how it happened? Thanks.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #45

Thanks Everyone

Nothing yet on the personal possessions....I will be reasonable on this, yet I am not going to accept not being made whole in one way or the other (as noted in the email from the owner of the facility where our MH was taken from). We are good honest people and we feel for them too. But, in the end it is business; it is all about what is fair to our family.

To answer a couple of questions from curious onlookers. This all started when we purchased a 2004 Jayco Greyhawk 27ds Class C...we traded our '06 Jayco travel trailer (we like Jayco)...we paid slightly over average retail...because we like the unit. I love the cab seats in the Jayco class c's. There was a silver dollar sized blemish/damage in the fiberglass in front of the rear bumper that we wanted fixed...the dealer agreed to pay for this. We picked up the unit on 6/20...loaded it up with the stuff, the kids, and took it out for our maiden weekend voyage...then dropped it at the repair facility on that Monday morning. On Tuesday (while in the dental chair) got a call from the Kent, WA Police Dept...saying that my unit and two other had been taken during the night. They found one unit the next day in the emergency lane of ST RT. 167...the other two, mine included are still amiss. Rural King County Washington is a big Meth area. Several other dealerships in this area have had this going on for awhile. These drug people it is theorized are turning these coaches into mobile meth labs. One of the units was a brand new '14 38' Monaco Knight (just purchased the week before)...no keys...everything was hot wired. I HATE thieves.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Great news on the coach settlement. May I suggest that you prepare an invoice for your personal goods, listing items and the value as you see it, and present it to the shop rather than the insurer? Describe it as what you feel is the value owed to you and ask for reimbursement. Let them worry about whether their insurer covers it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I feel bad about your loss. We own a Jayco 2004 Greyhawk 27DS. It is a real nice Class C MH. We just completed a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in it. I hope when you get paid you will be able to find another Greyhawk like the one you lost. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #48

Finally

we were made pretty much whole on all of our personal belongings as well. So, we have settled in full and are now awaiting the funds from Farmers. In the meantime, we found a 2006 Grey Hawk 30GS with only 18,000 miles and brand new tires all around. Very similar to our 27DS. Although I like the 27DS better, they are so hard to find. So, we settled on the 30. Love the cabin seats in these JAYCOs.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #49

Carolina Campers
Glad to hear that report! Have fun going forward.

Ted
Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #50
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 and thanks for the update.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #51

Entegra Owners Club
Glad your settlement turned out as well as my stolen custom Bronco mentioned earlier. Just as a reminder to others as experienced by aplin and myself.....keep good records as that is the only thing the insurance companies have to go by. Every storage bay and the open tool box has been photographed in our new MH. Hopefully it will never be needed, but I was sure glad I had that when it was needed. Nice ending, congratulations.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #52

Glad to hear that it worked out... sorry you had to go through all that.

Steve
Old 08-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #53

Thanks

Thank You everyone....Chuck's advice is very good. In the event you have to deal with something like this, the 30 minutes spent documenting everything via photographs, etc. will surely speed things up and ensure that there are fewer questions. Safe travels to you all.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #54

Under a general liability policy the shops coverage would apply only if they were negligent in some way. Hopefully the will have a garage keepers policy with their policy being primary.

Also, document what you paid for it. If only a few weeks old that would set a current value.

Also, any insurance company is not in the RV business and are not required to replace the unit. Their obligation is to "reimburse" an insured or claimant for the loss.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great ending,or at least the part with the new MH.... Soooo,now that I've read this account,I'll be heading out to the MH tomorrow with my handy Samsung Galaxy S5,awesome camera, and taking a whole bunch of pix and a video. I did that a number of years ago when we had a 14' Coachman P/U and two weeks later,someone cut the back wall at a campground and stole a bunch of stuff from it. Contacted our agent and took it into the rv shop and got it repaired and the adjuster looked at the video,VHS, and we figgered out what was taken and they settled right away. The adjuster told me that the best thing I did was to take a continous video of the interior.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance