Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 12:13 PM   #29

The police may not care but often the local news are scraping to get a story together and will put it out there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #30

most often stolen cars.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz.../#4e797162fd3b
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
This might be a good time to bring up the subject of GPS Tracking devices that are installed somewhere in an inconspicuous location in a car, boat, RV. They can be programmed to send email and/or text messages if the vehicle moves more than a set amount. They can be tracked live on a cellphone, and show it's location. They are inexpensive. Do a web search for models, ratings and pricing. Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Porta...et_feature_div

Certainly won't help the OP this time, but maybe we all should be considering these trackers, since we leave our motorhomes unoccupied, just about everywhere we go.
Inexpensive to buy but a $25 monthly fee. Still not bad considering the value of a MH. I thought about getting two. One for the MH and one for the wife to wear. I changed my mind. I'm getting just one for the MH.
LOL
Lynn
Old 07-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #32

There are other asset trackers out there with lower recurring expense like this one that reports hourly for $5.99 per month if prepaid for a year. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753LC2DQ
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
it will stand out good luck
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #34

Sorry that this has happened to you.

I wouldn't be hesitating to name the facility. That information is public information in a police report.

Speaking from experience, I would be asking the investigator why either a court order or subpoena (depending on your state requirements) hasn't been issued and served. Also, a search warrant (again depending on your jurisdiction) would work wonders. If properly written, it would get them anywhere in the facility not under lease. The PC for the search would be the presence of cameras and the management's statements that they have video footage.

Second would be a call to a TV station's consumer action or police beat mouthpiece.

Oh, how I would love writing that search warrant.......
Old 07-01-2018, 06:39 PM   #35

I don't know if the tape exist or if they are so anti Police that they really want to have a warrant in hand before they show a copy, but if I was working that case in my jurisdiction I would have already gotten a warrant for any possible video evidence or other physical evidence that might lead to the identification of the suspects in this case. Since they are making this so hard and since I would only get one real shot at this I would seize all video's and equipment that would play it until I could get all copies if they exist. If they wanted to help so I didn't need to take their equipment and files so much the better, if not well I will need it until I can review all available evidence.
Really why are they making this harder for you? Something is not right.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
I don't know if the tape exist or if they are so anti Police that they really want to have a warrant in hand before they show a copy, but if I was working that case in my jurisdiction I would have already gotten a warrant for any possible video evidence or other physical evidence that might lead to the identification of the suspects in this case. Since they are making this so hard and since I would only get one real shot at this I would seize all video's and equipment that would play it until I could get all copies if they exist. If they wanted to help so I didn't need to take their equipment and files so much the better, if not well I will need it until I can review all available evidence.
Really why are they making this harder for you? Something is not right.

Don't forget computer systems, hard and soft drives, discs, external digital storage devices, and any cellphone on the property that has the capability to store and retrieve images and that is believed to be used in connection with the business. Manuals or other material as to the operation of any computer or video system along with any passwords that may be located at that location.

That would get their attention... But I am sure I've forgotten something since it's been a while since I've done one for digital images.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #37

Stolen RV

I would also try to list in RVT.com which has a free Motorhomes for sale ads. Spend some time in front of the storage yard with warnings sign, it might motivate storage owner to help. Best of luck
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #38

We all certainly hope that you find it. Honestly.I cannot understand why the storage facility is refusing your requests for video etc. perhaps something more sinister?................
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Breeze1 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Recently had our 73' Chrysler Superior stolen from a "gated and secured lot" in Aurora, CO. Was hoping some of you could point us in the right direction to get the word out to the RV'ing community. Already logged a police report and unfortunately the storage facility is refusing to release video or cooperate with police. It's not the highest end RV but this motorhome is sure special to us. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #39

New Horizons Owners Club
Stolen RV License Number ?

License Number ?

We will post it on our RV Club FB page. We travel all over and we RVers need to stick together.

It doesn’t matter how big, small, old, or new your RV is. It’s YOURS !

Good luck - I hope you find it.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Might look in the secluded wooded areas where those that cook meth might go to hide.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=stolen...11D9BFF87200E4
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #41

At minimum, it's very poor customer service for the storage facility to be so unwilling to help you by providing you with whatever they have - and potentially civilly liable.
Of course, every state has differing laws regarding this, but in some states advertising (publicly stating) that your facility is "secure" makes the operator liable for certain things, if indeed that turns out to be false...which if your coach was stolen then it's reasonable to assume the facility was not "secure".

I was a storage owner/operator for over a decade, and a renter from some else's facility, and with that experience I can tell you that more times than the general public realizes, burglary in a storage facility be it parts and pieces, or entire items, is connected to the mgmt. of the facility in some way, either consciously or by default. There are a lot of good operators out there, but there's some very either unscrupulous or just plain uncaring, operators too.
Since theft from storage is on the rise in metropolitan areas, and since the operator simply provides a place to store without bailment (see my second paragraph - there's some issues which might have to be decided by a judge), storing your RV ultimately requires you do some serious due diligence in selecting a facility. I used to remind potential tenants of this when they'd come to sign up - make sure YOU are satisfied with the level of security you see (things in a contract defining what the operator will do in case of a theft is a good thing) before you store.

OP - I hope you find your coach and that it's not destroyed. I know of someone who's high-end DP was stolen off a well-lit public street and later found to be inhabited by (formerly) homeless people who basically trashed it beyond repair. Not to scare you, but more to temper your hopes so you aren't devastated should that be the case with yours...
Durango382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:51 PM   #42

We had a truck and trailer stolen from a gas station on our way to a job site. My son posted it on Facebook and we had over 900 shares. The police didn’t recover it we did through Facebook. Just a thought if you have not recovered your RV. Also where we live we have a Facebook site called Jeffco411 that also had about 900 shares. Jeffco for our county Jefferson County and 411 for obvious reasons. Good luck.