Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Stone Mtn. Campsite choices?

We are going to this park in mid May. Choices for our rig, 27 foot MH, are the Orange premium sites vs the Red sites near trail L. Not a whole lot of difference in cost, both with full hookups. It is a shot in the dark for us, since we have not been there. The park rep said the Orange are newer and larger, no real shade trees, Red being tighter but with some shade. Any help would be appreciated.
Larryjeans
larryjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

It is a beautiful campground. We have stayed in the orange and purple sites and really liked them. They are up on the top of the hill. The trail L sites and the other sites to the north are down the hill in the woods. Be sure to see the laser show if you can. Get the premium package with the meal to watch the show.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi larryjeans,
Purple area. Sites 140 - 147. Only these sites get satellite TV. There is no other satellite reception spots in the CG.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi larryjeans,
Purple area. Sites 140 - 147. Only these sites get satellite TV. There is no other satellite reception spots in the CG.

Correct which is the right side of the loop sites you can also get sat on the left side on the playground side which also come with gas grills. The new section plus loop have cable. The new section and loop is what I prefer and I also would rather call than online it's better.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 PM   #5

orange and purple are the best. I have been on 166A a few times and loved it close to the pool
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:35 AM   #6

Don't let the Garmin take you through the Town of Stone Mountain There is a low clearance bridge I think it is about 10' you can take the highway to the back entrance to the Campground.
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #7

Definitely enter from US 78, the Stone Mountain Freeway.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
which also come with gas grills.
If you need a gas grill bring your own with you. Stayed there last September and the gas grill was so dirty, nasty, crappy, filthy, old, that it would have taken me our 48 hr. stay to make it usable, if even possible. Wood deck was covered with leaves and small limbs that I had to clean off before use. Picnic table was not any better. Top dollar site was a total waste of money! IMHO Can not guess how much more money they would charge to clean the site for you. Our site was across the street beside office.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
If you need a gas grill bring your own with you. Stayed there last September and the gas grill was so dirty, nasty, crappy, filthy, old, that it would have taken me our 48 hr. stay to make it usable, if even possible. Wood deck was covered with leaves and small limbs that I had to clean off before use. Picnic table was not any better. Top dollar site was a total waste of money! IMHO Can not guess how much more money they would charge to clean the site for you. Our site was across the street beside office.
Sounds like its really gone down hill since I was there last.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We recently stayed in Orange #78 in our 40'DP. Our friends were beside us in #80 in their 45'DP. Both sites were great.. They are gravel, and not particularly level, but excellent views and positions within the park. I had to pull my coach ahead more than I wanted to in order to get level, so I had to use a LONG sewer hose, but once I was set up it was a really nice site.

I liked my 78 a lot because we had a nicer view of the fireworks every night. #76 provided an even better view, but it's a little short for my 40' coach AND toad. #76 also has a 4'high wall on the left side of that site that caused problems for another camper while we were there. It was his fault ultimately, but when he put his slide out on that side, it cleared the wall ok, but overnight his jacks sunk a little, leaving his slide to lay on top of that wall. He didn't appreciate the problem until he started to pull that slide back in the next morning (was a one-nighter) and it dragged along the top of the wall, making the most awful metal crunching sound. the guy didn't stop when he heard the noise either, so it did do some damage. I asked him if he heard the sound, and he said he did but just kept on going (why not lift the coach up again?). It was his fault, but if you can avoid that particular site, I would. Why risk a similar situation?

Another friend was in Purple #151. It had a nice (small) deck with a grill, but the location wasn't as good as ours I think. That site is right on a corner where traffic flows, and it's farther from the Stone Mtn, so you can't really see the nightly fireworks from way over there, or the mountain itself.

My vote is for the orange sites if you can get one, and closer to #78 side of camp. I've stayed in orange 32 before too, and it is also quite excellent.

It's hard to appreciate the terrain there when you look at their camp map. It's pretty hilly, but I like that--it adds to the "campy" feel.

Have fun!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote