Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

Storage and Use in Winter

How do we use our RV for winter trips from a cold climate. Do we have to winterize and dewinterize every time we use it? Does anyone store in heated spaces and not winterize? Once out on the road (not winterized or no longer winterized) will lines or tanks freeze even though the furnace is running?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and welcome to IRV2, You need to give us the info. on what you have, Is your basemnet heated when your furnace runs? Mine is in a heated garage in the winter here in Penna. and I do not winterize it, and from time to time over the winter we get in it for the weekend and camp out to break up the winter. With all the shades closed up you really don't know you are inside the garage till you go outside of it. A lot of people have to winterize and when they go south in the winter they dewinterize it, some before they leave and others I have read after they get into warmer weather. So let us know what kind of RV you have and then we can guide you better.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

We are just now shopping for our first RV. Looking at new or late model Thor class A's. Don't know for sure whether basement will be heated. Also have not been able to find a place to store that is indoor/heated yet. Still looking. I gather you never drive it out of the garage in winter?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Most RV now have heated basements. There are many places inside to store it, but few are heated...and they will be expensive.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We store ours when not in use in our heated insulated building with cable tv, internet 1/3rd residential. Don't winterize, we can go anytime the weather permits. Snowing now, so it will stay inside. We can camp here if we want, 50 amp service inside and outside, water, sewer. About as good as storing an rv gets.
kewag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
We are just now shopping for our first RV. Looking at new or late model Thor class A's. Don't know for sure whether basement will be heated. Also have not been able to find a place to store that is indoor/heated yet. Still looking. I gather you never drive it out of the garage in winter?
My previous '12 Thor Hurricane 32A didn't require winterizing as long as it was in use. The black and grey tanks came with heated pads that could be turned off/on from the inside, and the fresh water tank and all piping was inside as well (the fresh water tank was in the walls between the bathroom and lounge). So as long as you didn't live below 32 degrees, all of the tanks and plumbing were ok.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #7

If you, like me, store your RV in an unheated garage, then yes you must either run the onboard furnace when temperatures fall below freezing- or winterize your RV each time you place it in storage. My RV garage stays around 5*F warmer inside than outside temperature if below freezing temperatures do not last more than a few days, longer periods equalize the temperatures in/outside.As a general rule for outside storage, if daytime highs reach 40-45* and nighttime lows are no less than 28*F our RV will not freeze water lines because of residual daytime heat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
We have a Thor ACE 29.2 and just completed a seven week trip from MO thru OK, TX, NM, AZ and CA and back. Had the same concerns about freezing. Spoke with Thor factory rep and were told we were okay down to 20 degrees if furnace on. Never ran furnace while driving but did while parked. When temp got close to 20 we added a ceramic heater to keep the front of the coach warm. As we rentered MO we winterized so we could put it back in storage.

Not certain that full basement is heated, but had no problems.

My advice is to winterized when in doubt. Doesn't take much time and it sure is cheaper than frozen pipes.
Thor O Good is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, winter