Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ours is on a concrete pad next to the garage. Other than the obvious savings not paying for storage, having it close to fool around with is great. Washing, cleaning, maintaining and all the little tweaks are much easier when it is right outside next to our garage with my tools inside.

We too have neighbors that watch out for us when we are gone. A good thing since we are away half the year.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
My motorhome is parked at home. It has its own pad,elec,water, and sewer. It is just so handy to load and unload. I love to piddle around in it. (piddle is southern for acting like you are really doing something)
Old 09-06-2011, 07:25 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
We live in a restricted area that prohibits MHs and keep ours in a gated and covered storage facility with security cameras etc. Cost is $150 per month and with that we have 30amp power. Never had a security problem.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #18

Well, I too store my RV on a storage lot. The lot has real time video camera's, code get, fence with barb wire around it. Then the day after my birthday in sept 2006, my wife called to tell me she didn't see our RV on the storage lot. I told her she was crazy but I would check in it. Sure enough, no RV! Four days earlier on a Saturday night at 10:40pm, in the thunderstorms two guys in a pickup roll up and put a code in that was obtained at 2pm that day for a storage unit they had rented with cash. Trucks tailgate was down and no license plate on the back. They broke off my king pin lock and hitched up. Twenty seven minutes later, they rolled out the gate with my RV. Never to be seen again.

I wish I could store my RV at my house, even if the neighborhood would allow it, it could not get it up the driveway. It's too steep. I store my RV on the same lot today, why? Because of the video cameras. The video showed it was not me or my truck that took the RV. The police and insurance had video as to who did it. When I told my insurance about the theft, there first words to me was that was a strange story. Then I told them there was video of it and they could see it by going to the storage lot and watching it. That shut them up quick. oh insurance still screwed me over, but I was able to cut them off at the pass.

The point being, if there was something to happen, a storage lot with video can make your life easier. Anthony
lanwangeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have the water, power and dump at the house. Never would get the wife's permission for a barn, they yard is her pride and joy. Doubt I would get the city's approval either, we built a pool house already so that takes care of the number of out building we can have. Guess I will convince her to let me pour the pad and keep it at home.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IN storage about 20 miles from me under a ADCO cover (I know some do not like that). I visit at least monthly (I'm retired) for check and maintenece etc; been stored ten years no problems--HOA rules against more the 72 hours at home---I have kept it here more than that without complaint---move it here to work on it etc but I can at storage as well---but my shop is here.

It would have to be in the driveway here and even I would get tired of it being there I think---storage works out fine for me.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I have the water, power and dump at the house. Never would get the wife's permission for a barn, they yard is her pride and joy. Doubt I would get the city's approval either, we built a pool house already so that takes care of the number of out building we can have. Guess I will convince her to let me pour the pad and keep it at home.
Have you considered enlarging the pool house.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Can't afford the divorce, the pool house is the DW, when I sold my business, I got a BMW she got a pool and pool house. As usual I got the short end of the stick.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep ours in a gated storage area about 2 miles from the condo. The HOA Gestapo has a conniption fit when you bring one home to even load it.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Ours is parked alongside the house when we're home. We never had a problem with breakins while gone, our neighbors watch out for each other. A lot depends on local regulations as some don't allow you to park an RV on your property while others require it to be parked a specified distance from the street.
Same here since 1988, covenants require it to be behind the front edge of the house, but they're never been enforced by the HOA and the covenants sunsetted some years ago anyway.
Yes, I've thought more than once about people knowing we're gone if the MH is gone, but we have an alarm system and a 19 yr old grandson that comes and goes so no one really knows if someone is there or not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
First time in over a year at the storage yard we had ants in the motorhome, cleaned everything sprayed with ant spray, and terminex has some cool bug stuff , sprayed around all the tires will go out in a couple of days and see.
srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
I have it at my brother's mobile home lot, behind a fence with a combination lock on it for $30 a month. It's on gravel, no hookups and out in the elements. I have room in my driveway to bring it over here, but have a lot of unsavery people on this street, friends of my son and my adopted brother, that just about stripped an old van I had parked here, and broke the windshield and passengers window. I can imagine what they would do to the RV. I could put a gate on the fence and park it by the side of the house in the back, but the same problem, they would just have to jump the fence to get at it and could strip it without anyone seeing them. So, as much as I would love having it here, having it in one piece is so much better.
svdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:35 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by svdreamer View Post
I have it at my brother's mobile home lot, behind a fence with a combination lock on it for $30 a month. It's on gravel, no hookups and out in the elements. I have room in my driveway to bring it over here, but have a lot of unsavery people on this street, friends of my son and my adopted brother, that just about stripped an old van I had parked here, and broke the windshield and passengers window. I can imagine what they would do to the RV. I could put a gate on the fence and park it by the side of the house in the back, but the same problem, they would just have to jump the fence to get at it and could strip it without anyone seeing them. So, as much as I would love having it here, having it in one piece is so much better.
agreed
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
In order from best to worst:

1) In your property, housed in its dedicated building with FULL hookups.

2) In your fenced yard, with no hook-ups.

3) Storage facility.

I have my rig in my fenced yard, just outside my backyard sliding door. I wish I had sewer and a 30-amp hookup, but that's in the future. I LOVE it in my property because I can work on it at my pace, I save a ton of money in storage fees AND it makes for extra room when my family visits me from the East. I don't worry too much about people knowing if we're gone because our neighbors are cool and we look out for one another.

IMO, having your rig in some storage facility miles away lessens the RV experience.
Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage