Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Storage facility or keep it at home?

Debating with the DW about keeping the MH (40' DP Class).

We have room in our driveway it's a 15' wide, 600' circular drive with large parking area parallel to the garage.

My rational is theft in storage lots.

Her rational is thieves will no we are not home if they see the RV there day after day then it's gone. It could secretly be her way of getting me to keep it out of the driveway. When I brought our first RV home, her first words were "you're not parking that here are you/"

Have to admit, indoor heated storage would be nice vs. winterizing for 2 or 3 months. But not comfortable with the security aspects of storage.

What do you guys do and why?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:51 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have my RV at a safe gated storage for over a year now and never has there been anything happen to the motorhome. I wish I could keep at home just don't have the space for a 37 footer in the driveway. But this place also has lighting and cameras.

srzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #3

Past five years have parked my rv in a gated, fenced lot with both people (day) and dog patrols (night). Need a security code to exit/enter. Barbed wire and surveillance cameras are there, too.

Am also paying less for my rv insurance. My insurer views the secured storage facility as being considerably safer than out in the open in front of my home.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Didn't consider the insurance savings angle. Thanks for the tip
Old 09-06-2011, 05:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stored my first and my current MH in a gated storage yard and I never had a problem. I now store it about 12 miles from my home in a rented space in a pole building. I share space with another MH and a retored fire engine.
If I had the room on my property or in my driveway that's where it would be!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ours is parked alongside the house when we're home. We never had a problem with breakins while gone, our neighbors watch out for each other. A lot depends on local regulations as some don't allow you to park an RV on your property while others require it to be parked a specified distance from the street.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:22 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is at a friends storage facility which is located at his place of business. It's gated and seems well protected with high fences and all. Haven't had an issue yet but am also thinking of moving as to find something a little more reasonable in price. Don't get me wrong it's a great place (cement pad, 50A electric and cable tv) but at almost $70/month I guess I can do away with the ammeneties. FIL just found a place that only charges $18/month but for me it's just to far away from our home location.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why not do both? Keep a storage spot reserved and only use it for longer storage terms (weeks or months), and keep it at home when you are just "passing thru".
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
$18 a month? $70 a month with power, wow I'd be all over that.

$65 a month. outside. no fence or gate or security of any kind.

House is currently for sale. HOA rules prohibit me from keeping it on my own propery even though there is plenty of room.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
No restrictions in our neighborhood. So that's not an issue. Looked into inside heated storage last year almost $200.00 a month, huge issue.

Think I will work harder on convincing the wife to let me keep it at home.

I like to go out and tinker when not in use.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Out of sight out of mind. I keep mine in the driveway as a reminder to use it, wash it, maintain it.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #12

Motor Home Storage

We keep ours inside at home. It is parked in a metal bldg in the back yard. Unless the door is open you cannot tell if it is home or not. The bldg was not cheap but eventually will pay for itself by keeping the camper out of the elements when not in use. If we ever sell, the bldg will also add to the value of the property. The bldg also houses a 19' boat, 400 sq.' of work shop and keeps almost all of my junk (that's what DW calls it) out of the yard
PS I added a 35x16 drop shed on the back to contain what wouldn't fit inside and now I need to add to that!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is stored in a pole barn no elec or heat,about twenty miles away. I like it stored out of the weather,when not in use. I must admit many times I wish I had it home when an idea pops up to tweak something. A 40x50 polebarn in the backyard would be the perfect solution! It's nice to dream!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We store our coach at a gated storage lot ($45/month) with a personal security code to open the gate. No one is allowed in or out after 9pm. If you are in after 9pm you have to call a special number and pay a $30 fee for someone to come to the lot and let you out. The lot is paved too and the people do coach washing and a few other minor servicing things too.

That said, if I could, I would love to store the coach outside my home. I dont have the room to park it at home and I do believe the Homeowners Association would have a big say about it too (if I did have the room) . It would make it sooo much easier to do some service work on the coach. I would do the oil/filter changed myself and do the TV changeout over the winter months amongst other things.

2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage