Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I may be reading between the lines but it sounds like your home (S&B) is the problem. Sell it and live in the MH, then life is grand!!! :-)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I may be reading between the lines but it sounds like your home (S&B) is the problem. Sell it and live in the MH, then life is grand!!! :-)
No, we really love traveling in the RV but want to always have a home base.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a friend who just bought rural property outside Myrtle Beach. He is building a house on it and a large storage building 60x100. They will not let him build the storage building until all the permits for the home are issued. So the advice to check local codes is good advice. Also a 14x14 door should be your minimum.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 AM   #18

I think you're going to have zoning issues as well, or certainly the potential for them. I would make double sure of the county (and local, if necessary/deed restrictions) officials were good with the idea prior to buying the property.

The issue I've seen is they don't want just a garage built on a property. They've wised up to the fact that a garage building permit can be pulled at a very reasonable cost, then "features" added later without permits, making it livable. They're looking for a home first, THEN a garage. My thought is there's more in it for them at that point, through increased building permit fees as well as an increased tax base.

As a retiree, love the idea of a second floor, but not the steps leading up to it. Afraid those would get old quickly.

Maybe a plan for a 600-800 sq ft home with an adequately large "attached garage" on the same floor?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
I read above in a post that someone said they were building a garage 50 x 30, that is really not big enough, after your MH is in the garage and you want to open slides, you may have only 20' left. 50 x 50 will give you better area space for other items as well.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I realize that zoning ordinances may/may likely dictate that a home be built. It had been my initial plan to buy land and build a nice steel building (like a Morton) that had a nice ground level 2 bedroom living space attached to the garage portion. However, my bad in assuming that I could certainly find covered RV storage in most any large metro area. So, I bought a very nice maintenance free home in a HOA thinking I would just rent RV storage. The DW loves it here so would not be happy if I suggested selling this home and starting over with my initial plan .
Old 05-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I ditto the vote for 12 wide and 14' tall. Also leave it long enough you can get around it when it's inside. I have a 45' coach with Hydralift. So 48' long. I have a 50' barn. I should have a 60' long so I can get to either side of barn when coach is inside.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 02:15 PM   #22

Storage for motorhome, buying land, building my own

Many of us have probably had similar ideas as we drive across vast expanses of empty countryside, just to arrive home and find nowhere to park. Since you have already established the demand for enclosed RV parking in your area, perhaps finding or building a structure that could accommodate a few RVs with easy in/out access for each would help defer the cost. Probably not too much management overhead if you choose your tenants wisely (e.g. Snowbirds) . Then you would have an established business with a revenue stream to sell when you are ready.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #23

Buying property and building a building that we can store the MH in and also have my cabinet business
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, storage