Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Storage till Dec

I have a 92 Gulfstream with a Ford 460 gas engine. I have it stored 2 and a half hours from me in New Jersey. I have been going out every month to start it. I have no electric power. It's getting to be a PITA going out there, aside from the time it takes it costs gas and $20 in tolls. Do I have any options? As of now I have a 15W Coleman solar panel in the windshield and have put Sta bile in the gas tank.
Can it sit for a few months? Should I pull the battery/s 1 house 1 starting. Should I just continue going out to start it?
Love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2015, 11:21 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to rickjmiv
Do you have a generator - If so, that is needs to be run every month. It is best to be able to drive a bit - tires suffer from sitting for long periods. Otherwise I see no reason you can't disconnect the batteries.

rickjmiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I have a 92 Gulfstream with a Ford 460 gas engine. I have it stored 2 and a half hours from me in New Jersey. I have been going out every month to start it. I have no electric power. It's getting to be a PITA going out there, aside from the time it takes it costs gas and $20 in tolls. Do I have any options? As of now I have a 15W Coleman solar panel in the windshield and have put Sta bile in the gas tank.
Can it sit for a few months? Should I pull the battery/s 1 house 1 starting. Should I just continue going out to start it?
Love to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks
How long is a few months? Storing a coach for a couple months is no big deal if it is done properly. Tires need to be covered if in the sun and batteries can be disconnected so there is nothing drawing power from them. Does the little solar panel keep the batteries up to charge as it is? If so, then what is the problem? I would not be concerned if the generator did not get started up every month either but it does need to run with load at some point and let it run a while. Also, just starting the engine for a few minutes is not really doing it any good as it needs to come to temp to burn off moisture. Best just to let it sit until you are ready to give it a go.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #4

I have no generator, a few months is till I eave for the winter, weather will decide that but Dec/Jan is outside. Batteries seem to be holing up but it's warm and it's been sitting since mid April. Tires get very little sun as I'm parked 2 feet away from another rig. When I start it I always let it come up to temperature and run it 15/20 minutes and run the overhead A/C. I also make sure the battery plates are water covered.
Thanks for the replies
Old 08-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by easywind View Post
I have no generator, a few months is till I eave for the winter, weather will decide that but Dec/Jan is outside. Batteries seem to be holing up but it's warm and it's been sitting since mid April. Tires get very little sun as I'm parked 2 feet away from another rig. When I start it I always let it come up to temperature and run it 15/20 minutes and run the overhead A/C. I also make sure the battery plates are water covered.
Thanks for the replies
Put Stabil in gas tank when topping off the tank for storage. A tank less than full invites moisture to collect in the tank, which can cause a myriad of problems with your fuel system. Disconnect all batteries after they are fully-charged. Then do not start the engine unless you will drive it for a minimum of 20 minutes to get everything heated enough to evaporate any moisture that formed from starting the engine, and that condensed in the crankcase.
My MH engine and generator sat with Stabil in the fuel system for 6 years without being started, until I bought it from the terminally-ill owner. Of course it's a diesel, but a gas rig isn't stored much differently.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage