Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
French press.
and of course your choice of beans!
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 06:54 AM   #30
IC2

Nostalgia - and makes me want to return to those days as my coffee, even with the 'automatic' pots can range from great to terrible. I recall my grandfathers boiled coffee with an eggshell - you could tar the driveway but it tasted good to a 10 year old.

I think that I'll give that Melitta a try in the RV if I can find one locally.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:21 AM   #31
Community Moderator

How about this one? Uses the little screw on propane bottle, and makes coffee in 15 minutes, even outside!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1462972891.471929.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	126724
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 AM   #32
Community Moderator

This one is cute too! Says it can run directly from 110vac OR rechargeable battery

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1463059088.682642.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	126819
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:14 AM   #33

Quote:
French press.
This....
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #34

After Several years of drinking coffee in some pretty desolate areas using a percolator, I found this information to work for me.

Fill pot with water for the number of cups of coffee you want. Place coffee grounds in the basket: 1 tbs per cup of water is recommended. Fit basket into the urn and place on stovetop. (for stove percolator) Heat the water to boiling. The boiling water will be forced up through the coffee grounds and the brewed coffee will accumulate in the pot which holds the water. You’ll be able to see the coffee bubble up through the glass dome to see how strong (bold) it’s getting. With each perk, you’ll notice the coffee in the dome darkening. Brewing should take about 5 minutes for a stove top percolator. (Important) Remove the filter basket with the used grounds and pour. If you do not do this, you will end up with coffee grounds in your coffee cup. You may anyway depending on the grind you’ve used. The finer the grind, the more chance you’ll have for grounds to filter through the holes in the basket.
ARMMYCSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #35

The best stove top coffee we have ever had comes from the aeropress. You can find them on amazon cheap. We used on daily on our boat for a year. The cleanup is the easiest of any coffee maker we have ever used. It tastes better than a French press. It can make between one and four cups at a time. It is inexpensive.

I would never go back to any other method for stove top coffee.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #36

Forest River Owners Club
We have an old GE automatic percolator, but our cousin uses the stovetop. Just use a paper filter pushed over the tube to line the bottom of the strainer and don't fill it all the way...coffee grinds expand when wet...so halfway should be enough. When it starts to boil turn it down so it just keeps a gentle perc going (that's why the top is glass) and when it is dark enough for you, take out the tube and coffee grinds. I tend to like the perc coffee better than drip, but at home it's drip. We also have a thermal french press that we use for backup if we're not on power. A coarser grind works best with these methods.
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
French press.
X2 on the French press., sometimes we buy the beans and grind them in the magic bullet then use the French press....one of the things we do while on vacation that we don't do at home
Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #38

We just started using this. DW is a bit of a coffee snob and she feels this is the best to use while camping.

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018RY8H0..._K77oxbR3Q3CHQ
gocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have 3 coffee makers and a Air Pot
a Percolator for on top of stove,
a Corning electric percolator,
a programmable 12 cup Drip
and a 12 cup Air Pot too dispense it.
I keep the grounds in a empty plastic coffee can/lid and add them to the garden when we get home.
Check out your area's flea markets, I bought the 2 perk's at one by us. It took awhile too find like new condition ones but I found them, I am set.
I use 1/2 cup of coffee grounds too 12 cups water
Gordon we can sample next fall .
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMMYCSM View Post
After Several years of drinking coffee in some pretty desolate areas using a percolator, I found this information to work for me.

Fill pot with water for the number of cups of coffee you want. Place coffee grounds in the basket: 1 tbs per cup of water is recommended. Fit basket into the urn and place on stovetop. (for stove percolator) Heat the water to boiling. The boiling water will be forced up through the coffee grounds and the brewed coffee will accumulate in the pot which holds the water. You’ll be able to see the coffee bubble up through the glass dome to see how strong (bold) it’s getting. With each perk, you’ll notice the coffee in the dome darkening. Brewing should take about 5 minutes for a stove top percolator. (Important) Remove the filter basket with the used grounds and pour. If you do not do this, you will end up with coffee grounds in your coffee cup. You may anyway depending on the grind you’ve used. The finer the grind, the more chance you’ll have for grounds to filter through the holes in the basket.
I use to take the instant coffee out of the C-Rations and toss it in my mouth, then a slug of water from my canteen to wash it down. Ha good times...
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I have 3 coffee makers and a Air Pot
a Percolator for on top of stove,
a Corning electric percolator,
a programmable 12 cup Drip
and a 12 cup Air Pot too dispense it.
I keep the grounds in a empty plastic coffee can/lid and add them to the garden when we get home.
Check out your area's flea markets, I bought the 2 perk's at one by us. It took awhile too find like new condition ones but I found them, I am set.
I use 1/2 cup of coffee grounds too 12 cups water
Gordon we can sample next fall .
Tim
Looking forward to it Tim.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Perk coffee instructions

How to Perk Coffee (with Pictures) - wikiHow

when doing it this way I always put a pinch of salt in the grounds.