Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2015, 11:09 PM   #1

House batteries having low voltage

I have a 2006 Monaco Diplomat that has the Magnum Energy panel and 8 Kilo generator that has the "Auto Generator Start"mode. I'm dry camping and for the past few days the generator will automatically come on charging the house batteries when voltage drops. Sometimes it would start automatically but a few times I had to start it manually myself. By the way the AGS is set on "Enable". Today I left for a few hours only to return to low batteries too low to induce the inverter to provide AC. I tried to manually start the generator but it wouldn't turn over apparently too low of voltage in batteries (11.0). I started the engine to the coach thinking that reving the engine for a while at around 1000 RPM's would build up enough voltage to the house batteries. It didn't do a whole lot (maybe I didn't let engine run long enough). Therefore, I'm sitting in the dark and will wait for daylight tomorrow. Are there any thoughts out there what the problem might be? Appreciate you reading this thread.
Dean B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the engine running, I would use volt meter at the batteries to make sure the batteries are being charged. If that looks ok, shut the engine off, disconnet and check each cell on the batteries with a hydrometer.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

Did you check the batteries to make sure there is enough water in them. If the water is too low they will not hold a charge.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you enjoy doing a lot of dry camping, you might want to consider solar panels to recharge the batteries during the day and lessen the demand on the generator. AM Solar's Educational Pages for RV Solar Systems
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

Try to use the button that connects the house batteries to the engine battery to get the generator started. When you get home fully charge the batteries and do a load test. Maybe the batteries are starting to fail.
Good luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
YC1

Dean, do as suggested in starting the engine and pushing the aux start button. However that should have been an automatic thing. That is, the aux start relay should come on with the engine running and allow the alternator to charge the coach batteries.

It should only take ten minutes to get them up enough to start the generator.

Before going off into the BIRD system, bad batteries scenario I know you just want to get things fired up so try the following.

Go to your battery compartment and see if there is a large relay on the back wall. There may be a purple wire on one of the little terminals. I don't recall the other wire color on the other small terminal. In any case, look at the large terminals and follow the wire on either side to your two battery banks. This is just to get you familiar with the setup. This big relay is the magic device that combines the battery banks. If you have a set of jumper cables you can simply put one of the ends on the engine battery and one end on the coach battery bank. BE ABSOLUTELY careful when doing this. Let air circulate throughout the compartment for about 5 minutes with the door open to clear any dangerous gases. One spark can ruin your day.

With the battery banks jumped together start the big engine and let it run for ten minutes. With it still running start your generator.

IF you do not have a set of jumpers, turn your battery banks off with the big switches and carefully remove the nuts on the solenoid large terminals and stack them together on one side, thus bypassing the critter and becoming your own jumper cable. Turn the batteries back on and start the engine or try cranking the generator again.

This should get you live again and then you need to address the root cause.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I once had to use a jump start battery on my generator, it worked,, But on my generator (ONAN) the 12 volt lead is easily connected to (the negative goes to the chassis).

Sounds like your AGS needs attention... You will likely need proessional assistance with that. (the repair) however removal and replacement may be possible by yourself.

BUT FIRST: check all the connections to/from the Generator.. I know many folks have issues with the remote start switch (Dash switch) for the Genny,,,, usually it's because of a bad connection in the wiring harness. Same would apply to the AGS, since it uses the same connections.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean B View Post
I own a 2006 Monaco Diplomat. I'm dry camping here in Quartzsite, AZ. I've been having trouble getting the generator to come on to charge house batteries. The voltage is below the required amount to start them. I'm conserving what voltage (11.0 V) I have left in for water pump and etc. I posted another thread on irv2.com General Discussion if you wish to read it. Got some replies but don't want to start disconnecting battery wiring and terminals in battery compartment and short circuiting causing further problems. Therefore, has anyone used a repair service company here in Quartzsite? If so was it mobile and did they work with extended warrant companies? Give me your thoughts as to how professional they were also. If your answer to these questions are positive would you be so kind to provide the name and phone number of the repair company or person. Thanks so much for reading this thread.
Hi Dean, do you have a car with you? If you can jump the batteries to start the genset, do so. I have to ask, why did you wait till your batteries were dead to try and charge them? At 11 VDC , they are dead, and you are not doing them any favors drawing them down this far.........What are you wanting the mobile service to do? jump you? replace the batteries?
Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #9

Dean,

If your house batteries are good but just discharged, hold down the emergency start switch for about a minute then with the switch still held down start your generator. That switch works both ways, for house batteries or chassis batteries. The inverter will charge up your house batteries pretty quick unless they are bad. Good luck!

Chuck
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

RV Lifestyles! Talk to James.
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #11
Community Moderator

can you start engine? alternator will output more current to charge up your batteries. then drive out to phoenix where more services are available.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:44 AM   #12

Most RV services in your area are in Blythe CA. If you google you can find some to call.
First duty is to not damage your batteries. Get the gen jump started and recover.

RVM1
AKA: Captain Forehead
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
Dean,

If your house batteries are good but just discharged, hold down the emergency start switch for about a minute then with the switch still held down start your generator. That switch works both ways, for house batteries or chassis batteries. The inverter will charge up your house batteries pretty quick unless they are bad. Good luck!

Chuck
My only concern with this is he could end up with 2 sets of dead batteries.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

This guys in the park where I'm at all the time.
MARK'S RV (928) 916-3500 or (866) 927- 7225. His card says he does warranty work and electrical. Good luck.

Tags
batteries, house batteries, quartzsite